Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dumb DirectTV questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   demisod

demisod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I may be deciding to build a new house sometime in the next year or so. I would like to make any new construction very satellite-friendly, something that is not the the case at my current home. I have a 3-receiver system now, with one older HD-DRV (forget the number off the top of my head). It isn't a single-wire system. Any DVRs need two cable runs, and it's not set up for whole-house.

I am assuming that a new setup at a new house would default to single-wire, correct? Would there be any reason to run more than one RG-6 drop to each TV location? Should I have one ethernet port per receiver available?

Would a new installation be a whole-house installation with the new HR-34 receiver by default or would I need to ask for it? Assuming that setup with receivers at the other two television locations, could I be watching 3 different channels on the 3 tvs with two tuners still available for recording? Would I be able to access the DVR to set shows to record from any of the tvs?

Probably pretty elementary questions, but I tend not to stay too current on Direct TV until I want to make a system change.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Basically if you will order a Mover Connection and if your new installation will have HDDVRs of any kind they will install SWM which is one coax per room. You wouldn't need any ethernet runs for your DIRECTV if you upgrade to Whole Home with the internet connection kit because the networking takes place over the coax. But if I were you, I would have two ethernet at each location anyway for other devices like Blu Ray players or game consoles.

You wouldn't get the HR34 with Whole Home by default, but you can order it as well. Each room will use it's receivers tuner for live TV. The DVRs tuners are only occupied by live tv for its own room or recording a channel. Streaming a recording to another room does not occupy a tuner. RVU TVs is another story.

Edited by bigtom, 23 February 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

When we rough wire a house for HT or whole house audio/video we wont touch the job unless at least one ethernet connection is dropped to a home run from each room. This should be standard on any new job.

#4 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Would there be any reason to run more than one RG-6 drop to each TV location? Should I have one ethernet port per receiver available?

If there is OTA reception where you build, I would put two RG-6 drops to each TV - one for the SWiM and one for the OTA antenna. It is not possible to diplex OTA and SWiM if you have Whole-Home DVR.

If you use DECA, you only need ethernet at one TV location, but I would still run ethernet to each TV location to connect other devices (TV, blu-ray, computer, etc). Also, that gives you options for wired access points (which are much more reliable than wireless access points) if you want reliable WiFi throughout the entire house.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Basically if you will order a Mover Connection and if your new installation will have HDDVRs of any kind they will install SWM which is one coax per room. You wouldn't need any ethernet runs for your DIRECTV if you upgrade to Whole Home with the internet connection kit because the networking takes place over the coax. But if I were you, I would have two ethernet at each location anyway for other devices like Blu Ray players or game consoles.

You wouldn't get the HR34 with Whole Home by default, but you can order it as well. Each room will use it's receivers tuner for live TV. The DVRs tuners are only occupied by live tv for its own room or recording a channel. Streaming a recording to another room does not occupy a tuner. RVU TVs is another story.

Mover's Connection and HD-DVRs does not guarantee a SWM install. If you have a legacy install and are not changing anything, you will continue to have a legacy install at the new house.

However, if a HR34 is ordered or Whole Home is added for when the move is being made, a SWM install will be performed as it is required for both of those things.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I may be deciding to build a new house sometime in the next year or so. I would like to make any new construction very satellite-friendly, . . . .

You should look up how to wire a smart home.

One of the keys to future stuff is having wiring shafts with access panels on each floor.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   willmw

willmw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

One of the keys to future stuff is having wiring shafts with access panels on each floor.

+1, did that when I built a few years ago...been very glad I did several times

#8 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I may be deciding to build a new house sometime in the next year or so. I would like to make any new construction very satellite-friendly, something that is not the the case at my current home.

I just went through this as I built my house about 2 years ago. There are lots of threads about this type of thing already. But I would say to make sure everything is home run to a certain location. For me it is a utility room. I have a network rack in there and a gig switch and all that.

I have one coax, one Cat6 and one Cat5e to each outlet box. The Cat5e is for the telephone line, but we hijacked it for extra Ethernet. (It was a pleasant surprise that they were using Cat5e for telephone and we all use cell phones anyway.) Every bedroom has two outlet boxes in it with the basement/home theater and living room having 4 and a few extras scattered around like the master bath and the kitchen. So far I haven't regretted it and the only thing that I would change is that I would double up on the cable runs. Have two coax, two cat6 and two cat5e. Then you don't have to wire them all, you can just leave one set in the wall. I barely use the coax at all except for DTV drops. I dont have access panels or any of that stuff so it might not be future proof, but this should last us a long time. If you have the ability, add the panels.

Hope that helps.

#9 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Mover's Connection and HD-DVRs does not guarantee a SWM install. If you have a legacy install and are not changing anything, you will continue to have a legacy install at the new house.

However, if a HR34 is ordered or Whole Home is added for when the move is being made, a SWM install will be performed as it is required for both of those things.

- Merg

Makes sense thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Running conduit to multiple locations in each room also helps. There are several ways to get the end result, but I totally agree with the basic principle, you can't over wire during construction.

As an absolute minimum I would run two coax, and two cat 5e or cat 6 to at least two locations (opposite walls) in every room. Or, large enough conduit that you could pull whatever you might need through it.

#11 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

To paraphrase Confucius (or was it Charlie Chan?) "The only dumb question is one that is never asked".

#12 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Why call Direct TV dumb?

#13 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think he meant dumb to refer to his questions not DirecTV. And I don't see any sarcastic emoticon next to your comment...

In any case I thought they were reasonable questions.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#14 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

To paraphrase Confucius (or was it Charlie Chan?) "The only dumb question is one that is never asked".

And all this time I thought it was my middle school algebra teacher. :D

spam firewall