Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

With Dish Network offering more HD basic channels, having services like Blockbuster @ Home and still having SiriusXM channels I'm starting to think about switching to Dish. I was upset when Directv removed G4 because now I can't watch Nintendo E3 conferences anymore accept online and I was hoping the Tivo was going to be better than it is. To me the Dish Hopper looks more impressive than the HR34 and I feel the channel offerings are more to my taste on Dish. If your're not a sports fan I can't see why you would want to be with Directv and I'm not trying to be a troll I'm saying what I truly feel. I know some of you must have some of these feelings in the back of your head. Now that Directv is making a lot of profit I see them starting to become like cable. I know maybe one of you has to agree with me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Everyone needs to looks at what fits their needs best.
Dish has never appealed to me, as their PQ for HD is less and for the channels I watch, the price was within a dollar, the last time I checked.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Dish does not appeal to me. They don't have Sunday Ticket,, MLB Extra Innings, Mega March Madness, FSN OK, still think there are WB & UPN affiliates out there, are in a contract dispute with 2 of my markets 4 locals right now. Need I say more?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#4 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

I've considered Dish because of the Hopper/Joey. I would wait a few months to see how the software shakes out in the real world. I won't do anything until after summer. I'm rather highly invested with DirecTV, so it will take alot to get me to switch.

#5 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

i will never switch!

#6 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Yes definitely looking better not to mention having E! In HD which I'm totally lost as to why directv doesn't I used to watch it before got directv.

They have many more has I'm interested in too.

#7 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

:( DTV is behind Dish when it comes to basic HD. DTV's PQ is a little better than Dish but not much. DTV doesn't need more RSN's or PPV channels. They need to catch Dish as far as HD goes. Would I bite the bullet and switch back to Dish? If they offered me the Hopper.....YES!!

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

Not for me,I would like BBCA and Nat Geo Wild in HD but not worth switching. Hopper does not interest me (even if I didnt have a 34), I want to record at I want to record, not just a blanket all network shows.

#9 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

As long as they don't offer MLB Extra Innings or NFL Sunday Ticket they will Never, NEVA, EVA Get My Money!

#10 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

Dish does not appeal to me. They don't have Sunday Ticket,, MLB Extra Innings, Mega March Madness, FSN OK, still think there are WB & UPN affiliates out there, are in a contract dispute with 2 of my markets 4 locals right now. Need I say more?

Let's not forget the YES network. Also can I record 5 different programs with one receiver?

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:17 AM

Getting better than DIRECTV? ... Nah, both services have their strengths and weaknesses, but "we're" (family splits the cost) heavily invested with DIRECTV here as we seemingly have been since we originally signed up '95

I don't really care for dish's upcoming Hopper/Joey for WH, much less their current installed base of ViP receivers' inability to integrate with it.

#12 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

:( DTV is behind Dish when it comes to basic HD. DTV's PQ is a little better than Dish but not much. DTV doesn't need more RSN's or PPV channels. They need to catch Dish as far as HD goes. Would I bite the bullet and switch back to Dish? If they offered me the Hopper.....YES!!

new customers get 1 Hopper and up to 3 joey's for FREE

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Let's not forget the YES network. Also can I record 5 different programs with one receiver?

Not with one box;

Only three tuners per their upcoming "Hopper," so you would need two in parallel.

Unless you consider the Hopper's "PrimeTime AnyTime" (PTAT) feature which can actually block record the big four networks simultaneously one one tuner between 8:00 PM -11:00 PM local as a sort of "virtual-increase" in physical tuners per Hopper. :sure:

#14 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

Would never switch to Dish. You never know what illegal crap they will pull. Their reputation precedes them....

#15 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Would never switch to Dish. You never know what illegal crap they will pull. Their reputation precedes them....

typical answer of a fanboy

#16 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

my parents and my sister have dishnetwork and are very satisfied with the service. it is true that dish does offer more HD basics than directv does and direc needs to catch up in that department. viewing HD on my directv and comparing it with dish HD at my sisters house, you really cant see that much of a difference, if anything. they both look great. however SD is much better on dish.

its obvious people gotta go with what appeals to them and directv is mostly all about the sports fan. myself, im not a sports fan at all. i switched from cable from a referal offer and got $10 month on top of the new member offers. so that was a good deal for me at the time.

i think the hopper and joey look promising and that could get me to switch in a few years.... maybe. i do like my directv alot :D

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

typical answer of a fanboy

I wouldn't say it's typical. My main beef with their management is the carriage disputes. They pull channels more often than DirecTV. There's a fine line between getting the best price for your profits and raising monthly fees or not getting a deal done and dropping the channel.

Plus at least locally it seems they've been down more. At one point they moved the Cincinnati locals to a satellite a lot of customers didn't have access to and they had to wait for however long it took to fix the issue and move them back. I don't see DirecTV moving my locals to 119 or something. When they did move things, the average customer didn't notice.

#18 OFFLINE   wv_patsfan

wv_patsfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

In some ways, yeah, Dish looks appealing. But, hate to say it, Sunday Ticket is a huge factor for me (especially now that I will be working MUCH fewer weekends in the future due to a recent promotion!). This mystery "Everywhere" thing sounds like it has the potential to be cool as well. Besides, I'm lazy and switching would be a pain. :)

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

Compairing DirecTV with DISH is like compairing a Rolls Royce with a Volkswagon Beetle. DISH reminds me of that old rent a car commercial being number two but saying they try harder but always coming up short. Need I remind everyone of Charlie's batting average when negotiating with channel providers?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Compairing DirecTV with DISH is like compairing a Rolls Royce with a Volkswagon Beetle. DISH reminds me of that old rent a car commercial being number two but saying they try harder but always coming up short. Need I remind everyone of Charlie's batting average when negotiating with channel providers?

Directv beeing the Beetle in this case
Need i remind everyone that dish as more HD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...