Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

The long delays, if you have them, will go away. They are a bug...

Yea, about as fast as it took D* to add all those missing HBO/MAX HD feeds...that they originally said would be added over 2-3 YEARS ago. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but I'm so DONE waiting on them to fix all their "bugs", as well as on all the missing basic HD we should ALREADY have had by now!
Bottom line is that this software should have NEVER been rolled out in the current state that it is now.

And while some people have issues with the hr20 and such n the new hd GUI, not everyone does. In fact I'd guess most don't, I have no issues with it, and neither do my folks, believe me, I'd hear about that big time....

Well you must be VERY lucky then...because I AM hearing it big time, from many clients, all with different HR2x versions. And most of them are getting as fed up with this crap as I am. Probably because they (too) realize this is NOT "normal operation" for a DVR - regardless of how much D* CSR's & fanboys say otherwise. They are asking me what can be done - my answer is "they need to vote with THEIR wallets" as well...

Of course, I'm sure there's lots of other folks that are tired of these software issues as well - but have bought into the same lies the D* CSR's tried to convince me on. (but didn't...)

Dish doesn't charge you monthly to use the 211?

No, & that $40 is good for ALL 211's on your account. So, you could have 4 211 receivers & it would only cost you $10 one-time to have DVR on ALL of them.
Also they do NOT charge anything to use EHD's on DVR receivers, nor is there any limit on how many EHD's you can use. The ONLY limitation is that you cannot swap an EHD from a 211 with any (actual) DVR receiver, & visa versa.
You can also swap EHD's among ALL your DVR's tied to your account; they are NOT tied only to a specific receiver. Yet another reason why I want to switch; there is NO reason D* couldn't have done this as well

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

The 211 is an oddity in the lineup. It is just a receiver with one SAT and one OTA tuner, but if you pay the one-time $40 fee, you can add an EHD and make it into a DVR with no monthly DVR fee.

Guess the next question would be:
Since DirecTV has only one DVR fee/account, and does have another for each receiver, How does Dish handle these?
If I have one DVR, then the next receiver doesn't cost me anymore if it's a DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#203 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Well you must be VERY lucky then...because I AM hearing it big time, from many clients, all with different HR2x versions. And most of them are getting as fed up with this crap as I am. Probably because they (too) realize this is NOT "normal operation" for a DVR - regardless of how much D* CSR's & fanboys say otherwise.

Of course, I'm sure there's lots of other folks that are tired of these software issues as well - but have bought into the same lies the D* CSR's tried to convince me on. (but didn't...)

Not sure it has much to do with "luck".
Mine haven't ever been as bad as posts I've read here.
I'm sure if mine were, then I'd be in the same boat you're in.
A.K.A VOS

#204 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Dish and Direct do the DVR fee the same. One fee per account.

The one exception is the 211 if it is the only 'dvr' on the account.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#205 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Dish and Direct do the DVR fee the same. One fee per account.

The one exception is the 211 if it is the only 'dvr' on the account.

Thanks,
As I posted earlier, Dish seems to have the hardware advantage, and this looks like another option, like their ability to feed 2 TVs different programming, from the same [and only] receiver.
MRV works great here, but does require a client receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#206 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm thinking seriously of switching with the new Hopper DVR, it would save me $20 a month. I've more than fulfilled my commitment with Direct, just seems like a good idea. I would potentially miss Disney HD and ESPNU HD, but I can live with that to save the $20.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#207 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm thinking seriously of switching...

I've posted this here before, but figure it's worth repeating.
Everyone should investigate their options.
If you can get a 30 day free test drive, try it.
You'll have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
U-verse knocked on my door a few weeks ago and set me up with a 30 day trial.
Since DirecTV's sports packages aren't interesting to me, U-who looked to have similar programing. Even after any discounted pricing, they look to have a package that would save me $20/month too AND I'd have another premium movie package too. Quite tempting at first.
Two weeks of playing with their system, shows me why I'll be staying with DirecTV, and their stuff is on the way out of here.

Someone else may find the things I hate, don't bother them, so it would be a good deal.

TV watching should be enjoyable, and if yours isn't, you should make a change to find one that is.

There is no "one service is the best for everyone". Your mileage Will vary.
A.K.A VOS

#208 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yea, about as fast as it took D* to add all those missing HBO/MAX HD feeds...that they originally said would be added over 2-3 YEARS ago. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but I'm so DONE waiting on them to fix all their "bugs", as well as on all the missing basic HD we should ALREADY have had by now!
Bottom line is that this software should have NEVER been rolled out in the current state that it is now.

Well you must be VERY lucky then...because I AM hearing it big time, from many clients, all with different HR2x versions. And most of them are getting as fed up with this crap as I am. Probably because they (too) realize this is NOT "normal operation" for a DVR - regardless of how much D* CSR's & fanboys say otherwise. They are asking me what can be done - my answer is "they need to vote with THEIR wallets" as well...

No, & that $40 is good for ALL 211's on your account. So, you could have 4 211 receivers & it would only cost you $10 one-time to have DVR on ALL of them.
Also they do NOT charge anything to use EHD's on DVR receivers, nor is there any limit on how many EHD's you can use. The ONLY limitation is that you cannot swap an EHD from a 211 with any (actual) DVR receiver, & visa versa.
You can also swap EHD's among ALL your DVR's tied to your account; they are NOT tied only to a specific receiver. Yet another reason why I want to switch; there is NO reason D* couldn't have done this as well

A bug that just showed up with the last relase and will likely disappear with the next release, that doesn't affect the majority of the population. Yeah that's the same thing as the hbo debacle...

Again, the "missing hd channels " are a great reason to look at options and change. Every provide is missing something. Find a ny sports fan that likes dish.... DirecTV carries everything some people want and is missing lots others want. I'd change too if that was an issue, it's just not for me...

And I don't blame one person for being mad at the slowness of the dvrs that you are experiencing. Bt you make it sound like its been this way forever, and yet it hasn't been, and if anything, even a slow dvr may be faster than they used to be overall if you where doing a lot of guide surfing. That I was effected by and drove me nuts, how my hr21 would take forever to scroll through the guide....

Very interesting what they have wth the 211. Ok, so how much per month is it to have five 211s on your account, not counting the 40 to activate the dvr service?

#209 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

first 211 if 'free', next four will cost you 4x$7 = $28/mo, not counting one time $40 fee for ALL 211s

#210 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm Happy with DirecTV though I understand fully why others may not be.

As VOS pointed out eloquently above, different things take differing priorities for individual viewers.

What I hope we can all agree on is if you are unhappy, vote with your wallet.

ETF's be damned. Life is far too short to become bitter over your Choice of TV provider.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#211 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

And I don't blame one person for being mad at the slowness of the dvrs that you are experiencing. Bt you make it sound like its been this way forever, and yet it hasn't been, and if anything, even a slow dvr may be faster than they used to be overall if you where doing a lot of guide surfing. That I was effected by and drove me nuts, how my hr21 would take forever to scroll through the guide....

Slow and D* HRs has been a complaint since nearly the first HR hit the street. The one and only HR I've seen that isn't slow was the HR24s before they put the HDGUI on them.

In fact there have been polls right here showing slowness as the single major irritant of the HRs. No other issue has shown up more or been complained about more.

Lloyd

#212 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think both have their pros and cons. Direct has more sports, dish out of contract pricing is better. All depends on whats more important to you.

I switch between them regularly. All depends on who has the better deals at a given time.

#213 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Slow and D* HRs has been a complaint since nearly the first HR hit the street. The one and only HR I've seen that isn't slow was the HR24s before they put the HDGUI on them.

In fact there have been polls right here showing slowness as the single major irritant of the HRs. No other issue has shown up more or been complained about more.

Slow and not quick are different things. What they are having issues with on some hrs right now is glacial slow beyond what we have ever seen in the past. And my hr24 is as fast now with the hd GUI as it was with the sd GUI, are you saying its not?

#214 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

My parents have an HR21, and I visited there last week after they got the HDGUI, and hit GUIDE 4 times (literally, thinking I wasnt pointing the remote right, or the batteries were dead) before the guide actually came up. I asked if its always this slow, and my dad said yep, just gets worse every time they send new program to it. The HR20-700 in the kitchen wasnt to bad, but still twice as slow as my HR24-500.

After using a HR24 and HR34, there is no way I would EVER use one of those older boxes. I dont see how they even put up with it. Id be pitching a fit.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#215 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Slow and not quick are different things. What they are having issues with on some hrs right now is glacial slow beyond what we have ever seen in the past. And my hr24 is as fast now with the hd GUI as it was with the sd GUI, are you saying its not?

My 3 HR24-500s are slower now than when they had the old SDGUI. I was very pleased with them then, not happy at all with them now. I see the same pattern in the software updates for them as I've seen on the other HRs.

I'll be with D* until August for sure, but if the speed issues aren't solved by then, I'll terminate my subscription.

Lloyd

#216 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Considering dish uses half the hard drive space for an hour of recording that DirecTV does, dish is doing something to their signal to make it fit that DirecTV isn't. I'd rather be missing a couple channels than screw up the signals like dish is obviously doing.

Where exactly does this come from?

722 has 500gb drive holds 60 hours of HD

hr24 has 500gb drive, holds 100 hours of HD

#217 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Where exactly does this come from?

722 has 500gb drive holds 60 hours of HD

According to a mod in the dish area, your numbers are wrong. It's about 2 gigs an hour on their hard drives, and I know DirecTV is about 4 gigs an hour.

And there is no way a 500 gig hard drive would only hold 60 hours of programing, unless it's mpeg2. Maybe you are looking at specs based on meg 2 recordings...

#218 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

According to a mod in the dish area, your numbers are wrong.

Not to pile on here too, "but" just got a PM confirming the 1440 x 1080 for 1080i is still being done by Dish, so there's another "myth", that isn't.
Dish is reducing resolution by 25%.
A.K.A VOS

#219 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

So since 100 GB isn't used by the viewer, this leaves 400 GB, for 100 hours, or 4 GB/hour.
A.K.A VOS

#220 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

According to a mod in the dish area, your numbers are wrong. It's about 2 gigs an hour on their hard drives.

I think U-verse and Dish are on par with each other for bit-rates, and the Motorola DVR gives me 2.5 GB/hour for HD, and 0.92 GB/hour for SD. Both are MPEG-4.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall