Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

Directv beeing the Beetle in this case
Need i remind everyone that dish as more HD

Not ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, DISNEY, many RSN's full time, etc. Plus Directv has more Premium movie channels in HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Not ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, DISNEY, many RSN's full time, etc. Plus Directv has more Premium movie channels in HD.

Basic HD

#23 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

With Dish Network offering more HD basic channels, having services like Blockbuster @ Home and still having SiriusXM channels I'm starting to think about switching to Dish. I was upset when Directv removed G4 because now I can't watch Nintendo E3 conferences anymore accept online and I was hoping the Tivo was going to be better than it is. To me the Dish Hopper looks more impressive than the HR34 and I feel the channel offerings are more to my taste on Dish. If your're not a sports fan I can't see why you would want to be with Directv and I'm not trying to be a troll I'm saying what I truly feel. I know some of you must have some of these feelings in the back of your head. Now that Directv is making a lot of profit I see them starting to become like cable. I know maybe one of you has to agree with me.

You are asking this on a directv forum
what do u think the answers are going to be?
duh

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

I get every NFL game in HD. I get almost every NBA, NHL, MLB game in HD. I get more movies in HD. I get Disney in HD. I get ESPNU in HD.

I do not think Dish has more HD.

Your reminder is incorrect.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Basic HD

Yes, the VW Beetle stuff.

You try to portray Dish as being the high end car when you are talking about cheap basic channels (the only one that I am interested in is BBCA...I have no need to watch the Kardashian Channel in HD...and yet DirecTV has basic HD channels *I* and many others are interested in....Disney...love me some Phineas and Ferb...and the ESPNs.)

Let Dish fill up the airwaves with trash. By the numbers, you can tell that the majority do not care.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#26 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

the majority do not care? right :rolleyes:
good excuse :eek2:

#27 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

"Basic HD" yes. After that DISH falls short on all counts.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

My In-laws had a Dish DVR, it was the only DVR that I've seen that I couldn't figure out, and I've used Time Warner Scientific Atlantas, Tivo and several versions of DirecTV boxes. They seemed to make things more complex and clunky than necessary.

#29 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

You are judging #1 based only on the total number of HD channels? What about all of the other variables? What about the one that counts the most, the most subscribers?

It is not the total number of HD channels; it is the channels they offer that you want to watch. I currently only watch about 30% of the HD channels Direct currently carries anyway. Why would it be important if they add 10 more HD channels if I will never watch them to begin with. I can honestly say there may only about about 2 channels in HD that Dish currently carries that I may watch once in a blue moon. The others I would never watch at all.

#30 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

"More HD", is pointless [from either provider] if you don't watch the channels.
A.K.A VOS

#31 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I don't subscribe to any of the sports packages, but still wouldn't switch.

Every channel I watch is in HD with D*, I have no interest in Sirius/XM (or any music) on my TV, and the Hopper/Joey doesn't interest me either.

I like my HR34 though.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#32 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Actually I would compare Dish to my wife's Civic and DirecTV to my Dodge Ram.

My wife's Civic has all of the bells and whistles with more basic items, including navigation and leather seats (equivalent to having more of the basic channels). My truck has a more powerful engine and is able to do the things I need it to do that the Civic cannot do, like transport heavy items, and tow things (equivalent to providing the sports packages not available with Dish).

Let me also add that my wife's car gets much better gas millage (equivalent to lower base package prices with Dish), but I spend less total money in gas for the truck as it is driven a lot less (equivalent to not having to pay all those additional higher fees with Dish). If we did have the same setup with Dish that we do with Direct, we will actually be paying more for Dish than Direct even though their base package will be less money (determined by the actual package price not the promotional price).

Edited by DodgerKing, 24 February 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Dish doesn't even qualify given the inferior picture quality they offer and the fact that they carry fewer HD channels than DirecTV. DirecTV is #1 by a large margin.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Dish is defiantly not for me,i was thinking of it years ago and had installers come and see if i had a los,instead of using compass they walked around with sat dishes hooked up to signal meters and told me i would need two dishes. I am glad i didn't make that mistake.

#35 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yea if youre too blind to see sucky PQ then yep dish is for you.

+ YAY another dish thread....been 3 days since the last so guess we were way overdue.

#36 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I just tried calling dish because I was interested in the hopper and didn't know about some of the features until I saw some posts in this thread.

I am interested in Dish because I also am interested in the Tailgater that they have. It gets HD and is less expensive than the Winegard option I have been looking at.

All that being said, the first guy I spoke with sounded like he could speak english, but he didn't even understand what I said to him. The second guy I got transfered to I could barely understand, but he did answer my question.
Usually I am used to running into that with support, but definitely not sales! Poor showing Dish, poor showing indeed!

It totally soured me from even considering calling back in a month when it is supposed to be available.

#37 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

I made that mistake once. That won't happen again. I'll stay with Directv.

#38 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

Typical answers
should of been expected

#39 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I did back in 97 or 98 for one year and then right back to direcTV. Hopper/Joy sounds like some sort of bad movie to me.

#40 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Actually I would compare Dish to my wife's Civic and DirecTV to my Dodge Ram.

My wife's Civic has all of the bells and whistles with more basic items, including navigation and leather seats (equivalent to having more of the basic channels). My truck has a more powerful engine and is able to do the things I need it to do that the Civic cannot do, like transport heavy items, and tow things (equivalent to providing the sports packages not available with Dish).

Let me also add that my wife's car gets much better gas millage (equivalent to lower base package prices with Dish), but I spend less total money in gas for the truck as it is driven a lot less (equivalent to not having to pay all those additional higher fees with Dish). If we did have the same setup with Dish that we do with Direct, we will actually be paying more for Dish than Direct even though their base package will be less money (determined by the actual package price not the promotional price).

I like this analogy...
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

spam firewall