Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Typical answers
should of been expected

So give us a break.
You seem to like Dish, which is fine, but how many times do you feel you need to keep pushing this?
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

I always get tickled about the which has more HD comments. They are so funny. D* has more of some I watch and E* has more of different ones I watch. IOW, neither one has all the channels in HD that I want. For instance E* has BBCA in HD that I really wish D* had, but then D* has Showtime Extreme in HD and since boxing has been added to that one, I wish E* had that one too. The facts are that neither service has all the channels in HD that I want to watch. And frankly, neither has the edge on it either.

I could literally switch every day and notice something I missed from the other.

Because of what I watch, when I watch it and how I watch it, the Dish Hopper/Joey is a great fit for me. I could replace 3 HR24s with one Hopper and one Joey and be good to go. One thing I would notice real quick is how fast the Dish gear is compared to the D* DVRS.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

As if I care.

Dish is a fine service. There are many others. I'm satisfied with DirecTV and have been for years.

Sometimes DirecTV is king of the hill and better than all other service providers. I'm thinking specifically of SD picture quality and channel selection back in the '90s, their commitment to HD in the middle part of the last decade, and over the years regarding sports programming. Other times they are average or even below average, like during the first two years of the HR20 DVR and regarding their current selection of HD basic channels.

But am I going to float with the wind? No. In the long run, I like the features, channel selection and performance I get with DirecTV. They don't call it a committment for nothing.

Or in other words, pick your lane and drive in it.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Can we stop the name calling?
Post your likes and dislikes, but we don't need to go after each other here. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Typical answers
should of been expected

The truth isn't always pleasant. ;)

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

"Truth", like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder.

Let's all take a step back here from beating up each other, for their opinions.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

even comcast's PQ is better than DTV's

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Please stop it.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Please stop it.

good idea

#50 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Comcrap provides superior PQ. Surely you jest. The OP opened a can of worms with this thread. Pity he didn't include a poll. I'd doubt you'd agree or be happy with the results.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#51 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here.. We had E* for a bit an i have to say it sucked. We waited all day for an installer that never showed, when i called in to see what was going on the installer reported to the supervisor that everything was installed.. the supervisor himself came out to look and ended up doing it himself. He did a very poor sloppy install. Every time it rained the signal would drop and come back... then drop again. 3 service calls and all 3 tech told me the dish was perfect..

I will say that this was a few years ago and they MAY have improved on it. I also will say that D* also has shady installers in some areas, but both also have some really good installers too..

Bottom line is ... whatever fits your needs.. there both providers, they both will do whatever to gain the business over the other. If your not happy with one, switch to the other.. or perhaps we can all just install both providers and have the best of both worlds?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#52 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

and i am closing it
goodbye

#53 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

"Truth", like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder.

Let's all take a step back here from beating up each other, for their opinions.

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
Keats

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Actually I would compare Dish to my wife's Civic and DirecTV to my Dodge Ram.

My wife's Civic has all of the bells and whistles with more basic items, including navigation and leather seats (equivalent to having more of the basic channels). My truck has a more powerful engine and is able to do the things I need it to do that the Civic cannot do, like transport heavy items, and tow things (equivalent to providing the sports packages not available with Dish).

Let me also add that my wife's car gets much better gas millage (equivalent to lower base package prices with Dish), but I spend less total money in gas for the truck as it is driven a lot less (equivalent to not having to pay all those additional higher fees with Dish). If we did have the same setup with Dish that we do with Direct, we will actually be paying more for Dish than Direct even though their base package will be less money (determined by the actual package price not the promotional price).

Not a bad analogy, but it does depend on what you want to watch and how you watch it.

Here's a quick comparison of what prices will look like for me and not using any promos at all.

D* = Xtra (68.99)+(3) DVRs (12)+20 (ARS)=$98.99
Up in the air is what happens to the $10 credit for HD after 2 years, D* is pretty silent on that. But if it stays, then bill would be $88.99.
Mine since I'm already in place would be $89.99 since DVR+MRV is still billed at $1 more than ARS.

E* = T200 (59.99)+1 hopper and 1 Joey ($7)+($10) MRV/DVR = $76.99

Yes, D* has more sports, but neither has more boxing and golf which is the sports I'm interested in. Otherwise the programming is nearly the same with one missing something in HD that the other has.

Basically a $12/month savings going to E* in total cost. Other configs would be different of course, and added channels of one sort or another would add costs.

Lloyd

#55 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Until Dish gets the NFLST it will NEVER be better than DIRECTV!
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#56 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

I like E* programming packages better. I'm not a sports fan so a lot of D*'s advantage isn't an advantage to me but....... that's where it ends. I like D*'s equipment, their PQ, & customer service better.

#57 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Until Dish gets the NFLST it will NEVER be better than DIRECTV!

That assumes you actually want NFLST! :)

My son talked me into switching last August just because of that. Now he says he's not going to pay for the 2nd year and you can bet your bippy I'm not either. So for me, NFLST has no value.

Lloyd

#58 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Never say never but I all the channels I watch are in HD, The Ipad app is great. Nomad ( I fly a LOT and Delta will not let you streem in flight plus its 12$ a flight for there wifi). Also a big sports fan. D14 will launch more HD and SD will start to go away in about five years IMHO.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Directv beeing the Beetle in this case
Need i remind everyone that dish as more HD

And didn't you just accuse another of being a fanboi? :D
Note spelling!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#60 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure sure that DISH could come up with something that is equivalent to the 10 tuners of my 2 HR34s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...