Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think the saying "you get what you pay for" applies here.. We had E* for a bit an i have to say it sucked. We waited all day for an installer that never showed, when i called in to see what was going on the installer reported to the supervisor that everything was installed.. the supervisor himself came out to look and ended up doing it himself. He did a very poor sloppy install. Every time it rained the signal would drop and come back... then drop again. 3 service calls and all 3 tech told me the dish was perfect..

I will say that this was a few years ago and they MAY have improved on it. I also will say that D* also has shady installers in some areas, but both also have some really good installers too..

Bottom line is ... whatever fits your needs.. there both providers, they both will do whatever to gain the business over the other. If your not happy with one, switch to the other.. or perhaps we can all just install both providers and have the best of both worlds?

DirecTV Subscriber 1998-2014, 2015-present

Entertainment ~ NFLST

(1) H24  

SL3 LNB

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

and i am closing it
goodbye

#53 ONLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 655 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

"Truth", like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder.

Let's all take a step back here from beating up each other, for their opinions.

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
Keats

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Actually I would compare Dish to my wife's Civic and DirecTV to my Dodge Ram.

My wife's Civic has all of the bells and whistles with more basic items, including navigation and leather seats (equivalent to having more of the basic channels). My truck has a more powerful engine and is able to do the things I need it to do that the Civic cannot do, like transport heavy items, and tow things (equivalent to providing the sports packages not available with Dish).

Let me also add that my wife's car gets much better gas millage (equivalent to lower base package prices with Dish), but I spend less total money in gas for the truck as it is driven a lot less (equivalent to not having to pay all those additional higher fees with Dish). If we did have the same setup with Dish that we do with Direct, we will actually be paying more for Dish than Direct even though their base package will be less money (determined by the actual package price not the promotional price).

Not a bad analogy, but it does depend on what you want to watch and how you watch it.

Here's a quick comparison of what prices will look like for me and not using any promos at all.

D* = Xtra (68.99)+(3) DVRs (12)+20 (ARS)=$98.99
Up in the air is what happens to the $10 credit for HD after 2 years, D* is pretty silent on that. But if it stays, then bill would be $88.99.
Mine since I'm already in place would be $89.99 since DVR+MRV is still billed at $1 more than ARS.

E* = T200 (59.99)+1 hopper and 1 Joey ($7)+($10) MRV/DVR = $76.99

Yes, D* has more sports, but neither has more boxing and golf which is the sports I'm interested in. Otherwise the programming is nearly the same with one missing something in HD that the other has.

Basically a $12/month savings going to E* in total cost. Other configs would be different of course, and added channels of one sort or another would add costs.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Hopper w/Sling/Dish Network
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Harman Kardon 3700, 7.1 Setup

#55 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Until Dish gets the NFLST it will NEVER be better than DIRECTV!
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#56 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

I like E* programming packages better. I'm not a sports fan so a lot of D*'s advantage isn't an advantage to me but....... that's where it ends. I like D*'s equipment, their PQ, & customer service better.

#57 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

That assumes you actually want NFLST! :)

My son talked me into switching last August just because of that. Now he says he's not going to pay for the 2nd year and you can bet your bippy I'm not either. So for me, NFLST has no value.

Lloyd

#58 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Never say never but I all the channels I watch are in HD, The Ipad app is great. Nomad ( I fly a LOT and Delta will not let you streem in flight plus its 12$ a flight for there wifi). Also a big sports fan. D14 will launch more HD and SD will start to go away in about five years IMHO.
DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Directv beeing the Beetle in this case
Need i remind everyone that dish as more HD

And didn't you just accuse another of being a fanboi? :D
Note spelling!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#60 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure sure that DISH could come up with something that is equivalent to the 10 tuners of my 2 HR34s.

#61 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 9,491 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Please keep on topic and quit discussing each other and stop the name calling.

#62 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've considered Dish because of the Hopper/Joey. I would wait a few months to see how the software shakes out in the real world. I won't do anything until after summer. I'm rather highly invested with DirecTV, so it will take alot to get me to switch.

I saw the combo at CES, and while it's a real innovation to record the networks in primetime so you can go back and catch what you "missed", the Joey's are not so clever.
Plus, I have so many things recorded in the queue, I don't want to know about more things I might want to watch! ;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#63 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm not sure sure that DISH could come up with something that is equivalent to the 10 tuners of my 2 HR34s.

2 Hoppers would give you effectively 9 tuners during prime time and 6 otherwise.

But I have to ask, what in the world can you want to watch that would have you need 10 tuners at any given time? The most I've ever had going at once were 5 of the 6 tuners I have and that very rarely.

Lloyd

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,201 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

But I have to ask, what in the world can you want to watch that would have you need 10 tuners at any given time? The most I've ever had going at once were 5 of the 6 tuners I have and that very rarely.

This might be more important with a multi-viewer household.
I know I can't find that much to record at one time, but figure if there were kids here, there might be more.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Dish has SiriusXM? Now there's a reason not to get Dish (post merger XM).;)

#66 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Typical answers
should of been expected

Which company lost overall subscribers again for the year?
Which company pulled it's top end receiver?
Which company released a new top end receiver?
Which company increased it's fees per receiver to be like a cable model?
Which company gets higher customer satisfaction ratings of the two?
Which company has been cited multiple times for carrying channels it wasn't authorized to?
Which company has been regulated by the government due to not following federal guidelines?
Which company spends more money on court costs?
Which company loses more court cases?

So I guess if those are "Typical questions" than it makes DISH still a better company? DISH has proven over and over again that they think small when it comes to their customers. The new hopper joey aspect proves that even more. Why limit yourself to a set hardware limit and yet they've done just that intentionally. Charlie lives in the past and is still scared of his shadow. He thinks that every customer is out there to rip him off and that if they allowed the same amount of receivers, tuners, and equipment on accounts that DIRECTV did that they would be ripped off somehow. Until the board is replaced this is how it will always be with DISH and since Charlie is the controlling stock holder this is how it will be. I could use an Al Davis analogy as when he started he did go against the grain and was innovative. However as he gets older he does more damage to his company than good.

There's a difference between cost and value don't get them confused. If DISH meets your needs than more power to you but if you want to judge a company based on success it's already been proven who the better company is. No one company will ever be for everyone so having choices is good.

So the bottom line to customers is still what company has products, services, and an overall experience that meets their needs. 7 million more customers have already proven which company meets that overall compared to the other.

FYI typical responses don't make them any less correct or valid. If you asked someone if 1+1=2 you would get a typical response.

#67 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

2 Hoppers would give you effectively 9 tuners during prime time and 6 otherwise.

So, 1 HR34 and 2 HD receivers are much better than 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's.

The 2 HD receivers will not use any of the 5 HR34 tuners when watching live TV.

The 2 Joeys use 2 of the 3 Hopper tuners leaving you only 1 Tuner to Record.

That is a big setback.

#68 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,605 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

re: Hooper. What good is recording the entire prime time on the networks if you are only interested in maybe 50% of those shows?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#69 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

This might be more important with a multi-viewer household.

I can very easily see a household of 5 or more needing it. we are a house of 3 and often have recording conflicts between the kids shows and ours..

Entertainment ~ NFLST

(1) H24  

SL3 LNB

#70 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Until Dish has the amount of sports packages, they aren't even in the same ballpark... no provider is for that matter.

#71 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

So, 1 HR34 and 2 HD receivers are much better than 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's.

The 2 HD receivers will not use any of the 5 HR34 tuners when watching live TV.

The 2 Joeys use 2 of the 3 Hopper tuners leaving you only 1 Tuner to Record.

That is a big setback.

In tuner count, the D* model always comes out ahead in actual numbers. But in effective tuner availability, it depends on what, when and how you watch TV. Having more tuners isn't necessarily an advantage in actual use.

For instance, the only times I've seen an issue with contentions is during prime time and that caused by the broadcast channels. For other channels, they repeat so often it isn't an issue. My viewing is almost 100% recorded, I seldom watch anything live. So more actual tuners isn't a big deal. One Hopper with one Joey would do it for me.

For me an HR34+Hxx would do it or one hopper plus one joey, with no loss of recorded programming. IOW, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

Lloyd

#72 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

re: Hooper. What good is recording the entire prime time on the networks if you are only interested in maybe 50% of those shows?

If you want 50% of them recorded, it only takes one tuner to do it.

Lloyd

#73 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

For me, it's DirecTV vs FiOS. Have never considered Dish to be a tier-1 player, especially with missing my local RSN's in HD.

#74 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

For me, it's DirecTV vs FiOS. Have never considered Dish to be a tier-1 player, especially with missing my local RSN's in HD.

Here FIOS is not even offered.. it's Directv, Dish, or Comcast...

Something has to be said about Comcast when 9 of the 10 homes on my block have a Directv dish mounted on the property:lol:

Entertainment ~ NFLST

(1) H24  

SL3 LNB

#75 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,483 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Here FIOS is not even offered.. it's Directv, Dish, or Comcast...

Something has to be said about Comcast when 9 of the 10 homes on my block have a Directv dish mounted on the property:lol:

Says a lot about DISH too.
DIRECTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...