Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Maybe things have changed...

They have. There was a upgrade push in the beginning for the service.
The upgrade price has increased since.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   gslater

gslater

Gone to the Dogs

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

They have. There was a upgrade push in the beginning for the service.
The upgrade price has increased since.

I'm not surprised the price has changed but what I was getting at is that they had absolutely no problem upgrading me to supported when I was already setup as unsupported. Maybe the difference is that they were more aware of the supported vs. unsupported mode at that time. After all they had been getting calls from DBSTalk members to get setup in unsupported mode then. I doubt they get those calls anymore.
George
SWM -> 2 H21-100's w/DECA, 2 HR21-200's w/DECA each w/AM-21
My Setup

#623 OFFLINE   DJSGP

DJSGP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Maybe you're keeping up with the changes that DIRECTV is making, about as well as you are keeping in touch with this forum. Only 7 of your posts back, which was over 3 years ago, you asked about PIP. Well, DIRECTV does have PIP on the new HR34 HMC DVR, in case you didn't know (At least now you might know in about 6 months or so).

I disagree about not feeling the love from DIRECTV. They recently gave me an HR34 for free. I was definitely feeling the love when that happened. And there is only 1 channel that I wish they would add the HD version of, so no major complaints here. Not that I wouldn't like all the channels to be in HD, then I might actually tune to them.

Happy the free HR34 made you happy.
D is undoubtedly happy to have such a happy customer and the forum a post happy contributor.
I like DTV - been a customer since October 1994. (the first week it was available nationally). The 198 months as a customer served as the basis of MHO- not the number of postings.

Thanks for double checking the old post. btw - it was a suggestion, not a question - something worth noting in the future if you're open to a suggestion. And having the mix channels which is a cool concept still should be in HD.

#624 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

All I have to say is:

Walking Dead
Hell On Wheels
Breaking Bad

End of discussion!

#625 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Happy the free HR34 made you happy.
D is undoubtedly happy to have such a happy customer and the forum a post happy contributor.
I like DTV - been a customer since October 1994. (the first week it was available nationally). The 198 months as a customer served as the basis of MHO- not the number of postings.

Thanks for double checking the old post. btw - it was a suggestion, not a question - something worth noting in the future if you're open to a suggestion. And having the mix channels which is a cool concept still should be in HD.

OK, I was exaggerating, it only took you 4 months to reply. I had to go back and read everything again, since I couldn't even recall what your post was about. Glad you have been a customer since day one, but if I wasn't "feeling the love", I would have switched a long time ago. And I do agree with you about the mix channel in HD. Although I didn't think the Hughs DVR was HD? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#626 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I tried out a Hopper/Joey system and put my DirecTV account on suspension for a few months. I was not impressed. People in my house were fighting over tuners. To even have tv service for my daughters we had to give them a Joey (because Dish doesn't allow any other receivers in a Hopper installation), which was constantly telling the Hopper to record something. There was no way to disable the ability to record from the individual Joey either. With DirecTV I can just disable their networking and lock down certain ratings and channels so I can trust them with a remote.

Dish also seems to have very inconsistent quality. A couple of channels will look very good and then you'll watch a different channel and notice that it looks worse than anything HD ever looked on DirecTV. Then there are the part time sports channels that I grew to hate. Blockbuster is OK, but it is in no way a serious competitor to the Netflix subscription I have. Nothing was really gained there for me. Things are much better now that I'm back with DirecTV full time. The picture quality is better, the channel selection suits my needs better, and my 2TB eSATA drive makes the user partition on the Hopper look not so big... And, um, Sunday Ticket. :D But Dish might be someone's cup of tea. I just know that it isn't mine. At all...

#627 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

There was no way to disable the ability to record from the individual Joey either. With DirecTV I can just disable their networking and lock down certain ratings and channels so I can trust them with a remote.

Preventing recording would be a interesting feature. It would help for those who are replacing receivers with Joeys and not wanting record features.

You can set channel locks and ratings locks on a per Joey basis. My wife's Joey has different channels locked out than my Hopper.

As far as the tuner limitations the discussions in the DISH forum recommend two hoppers in a setup. Many DBSTalk members have gone that way - although the lease upgrade for a second hopper makes it expensive.

Also, unannounced yet working for the past few months, Joeys can be connected to the Hopper via Ethernet --- no cable required. We even have at least one member who is using a USB Wi-Fi adapter on his Joey. While not "official" this is a good way of avoiding running RG-6 to a viewing location.

#628 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 185 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

I don't think Dish is better than Directv, but I think better definitely varies from person to person with their needs.

The equipment for Dish definitely seems *neat*, however with Directv the HR34 is the same kind of beast and once the C31s become more common it's going to be a very similar system to what Dish offers with the Hopper/Joey combo.

Personally, Dish's programming doesn't suit my needs. They may offer my HD LiLs in HD, but I watch a lot of premiums and other content that is either not available in HD on Dish, or simply not available at all.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#629 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Since DirecTV has suddenly started getting it's HD act together (i.e., long-awaited channels appearing) and is finally pulling in some European programming (channel 259) I've given up the thought of even considering Dish. Unless you're 1) demanding international language programming or 2) simply hate sports, there's no reason at all to consider the company....especially given the way it digs in its heels when it comes to renegotiating contracts for channels.

#630 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Since DirecTV has suddenly started getting it's HD act together (i.e., long-awaited channels appearing) and is finally pulling in some European programming (channel 259) I've given up the thought of even considering Dish. Unless you're 1) demanding international language programming or 2) simply hate sports, there's no reason at all to consider the company....especially given the way it digs in its heels when it comes to renegotiating contracts for channels.

So you think Dish doesn't "dig their heels in" on contracts? Ask the folks that weren't happy that they lost a few Disney HD channels, AMC and the other Dolan channels, Nat Geo HD, Big Ten Network, etc. vs DIRECTV which IIRC has only dropped G4. IMHO I'd rather have a company that tries to keep existing channels avilable vs. one that drops existing channels and doesn't appear to be working to bring them back.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#631 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

When this thread started a few months ago, Dish was in the lead IMO, with more basic HD, the new Hopper and Auto-Hop. DirecTV was way behind in terms of basic HD. Fast forward to now, Dish has dropped several channels and gotten sued over auto-hop. And DirecTV has hung on to those same channels and added several more. So they've pulled ahead at the moment. Of course each consistently has advantages over the other (DirecTV sports content for example).

In the mean time I dropped them both and am watching this from the side lines. It will be interesting to see who's ahead a few years from now when I go shopping for a provider again. I think long term, Dish has a lot more liabilities and belligerent management that's going to have a negative impact over all.

Edited by mdavej, 18 September 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#632 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Regarding Dish VS Directv (SD), not HD -

I used to have Dish for two years or so before switching to Directv for about three or four years now, and the first thing I noticed is that Directv's SD channels looked better than those on Dish, not that I LOVE watching SD channels, but I did notice this. I'm only bringing this up because someone earlier in the thread (first page I think) had said the opposite! I disagree. Maybe I'm crazy!

#633 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Regarding Dish VS Directv (SD), not HD -

I used to have Dish for two years or so before switching to Directv for about three or four years now, and the first thing I noticed is that Directv's SD channels looked better than those on Dish, not that I LOVE watching SD channels, but I did notice this. I'm only bringing this up because someone earlier in the thread (first page I think) had said the opposite! I disagree. Maybe I'm crazy!

Hmm... I'm with the earlier poster. I found Dish SD much better than DirecTV. In my experience DirecTV has the worst SD I've ever seen. That includes cable, youtube and kinetoscope. Maybe there was a problem with your particular receiver.

#634 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hmm... I'm with the earlier poster. I found Dish SD much better than DirecTV. In my experience DirecTV has the worst SD I've ever seen. That includes cable, youtube and kinetoscope. Maybe there was a problem with your particular receiver.

I'd agree that Dish's SD is better on the western arc, and much better on the eastern arc.

I've had both, have DirecTV now and actively avoid watching anything in SD with D*! Of course, sometimes I have to force myself 'cause something in SD will just grab my attention, but it doesn't happen often nor with regularity. :lol:

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#635 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have not seen Dish SD lately, but DirecTV's SD is nowhere near what it used to be. When I first got DirecTV in 1999, no one had HD. DirecTV's SD picture was as good as DVD, slightly better than Dish, and far better than TWC. Since HD was rolled out and more and more SD channels were added, the SD picture quality on DirecTV has taken a nose dive. There are a few channels on DirecTV where the picture quality is decent, but most of them are worse than VHS.

That said, there are only two channels that I watch on DirecTV that are not in HD. Dish does not have one of those in HD, either, and my local TWC does not have one of those in SD or HD. Many channels I watch are not available on Dish, so for me, DirecTV is the only choice.

#636 OFFLINE   rapidturtle

rapidturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

I just came over from Dish last month, and as of now am a very happy D* customer. It just seems to me that Dish is always loosing a channel, and they tend to not get quite a few of them back. I am in the NY area, and they got rid of all of the NY RSN's while I was with them, with no reduction in my bill. The way they are treating the whole AMC deal was the final straw for me. We the customers are being used as pawns in their lawsuit, so I decided to switch then.

#637 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I just came over from Dish last month, and as of now am a very happy D* customer. It just seems to me that Dish is always loosing a channel, and they tend to not get quite a few of them back. I am in the NY area, and they got rid of all of the NY RSN's while I was with them, with no reduction in my bill. The way they are treating the whole AMC deal was the final straw for me. We the customers are being used as pawns in their lawsuit, so I decided to switch then.

+1
Dropping AMC was the final straw for me too. But DirecTV is still missing too much content, so I had no choice but to go back to cable (my son loves G4, one of the few channels DirecTV has ever dropped entirely). I'm happy to see all the HD DirecTV has been adding lately, while Dish continues to drop channels.

#638 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

A bit of a side track on SD. Directv's SD is generally poor. It is limited for bandwidth. However, the way to make some of it watchable for me is to use native, allow 480i and set the view to original format. That eliminates any scaling at all by the receiver, which does it very poorly. I've seen a big improvement when doing that. Still not good (and compared to fios, which I have, it is much worse) but for some watching, not revolting.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#639 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

A bit of a side track on SD. Directv's SD is generally poor. It is limited for bandwidth. However, the way to make some of it watchable for me is to use native, allow 480i and set the view to original format. That eliminates any scaling at all by the receiver, which does it very poorly. I've seen a big improvement when doing that. Still not good (and compared to fios, which I have, it is much worse) but for some watching, not revolting.

I cannot compare to Fios, but I have had the same experience with my Panasonic TVs. For my TVs, scaling by the TV is better than scaling by the receiver; however, this is all dependant on the TV model. High end TVs generally do a better job of scaling than the DirecTV receiver does, but many entry-level HD TVs are even worse than the DirecTV receiver at scaling. In those situations, turning native off and only passing 1080i is better. Everyone needs to try it both ways with their equipment, and then decide what is best for them.

#640 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

...(my son loves G4, one of the few channels DirecTV has ever dropped entirely)...

Hope he'll be happy with the coming changes to G4, http://multiplayerbl...7/g4-reboot-gq/

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...