Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#641 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Regarding Dish VS Directv (SD), not HD -

I used to have Dish for two years or so before switching to Directv for about three or four years now, and the first thing I noticed is that Directv's SD channels looked better than those on Dish, not that I LOVE watching SD channels, but I did notice this. I'm only bringing this up because someone earlier in the thread (first page I think) had said the opposite! I disagree. Maybe I'm crazy!

Looks like you are the only one of such "crazy" and cannot see obvious difference.
I did measure one of the SD parameters on DTV muxes: a resolution, it was 352x480 max ( just for clear understanding - analog NTSC format is 740x525, its digital copy is 704x480 ), perhaps last time it become 240x480 (?); if you will add to that very limited bitrate allowed to SD channels ... You will get the current worst whatsoever picture quality. Just unwatchable ! And we all remember first 10 years of perfect SD PQ, before HD become a main trend and eat all bandwidth.

Could you imagine raising a volume of weep cream would make whole milk down to 1/2 or 1/4 of vital components while it will be selling as WHOLE MILK !

Edited by P Smith, 19 September 2012 - 10:27 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#642 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

That is an interesting observation. A good comparison, is watching Over the Air subchannels, for picture quality and comparing them to the Directv SD channels. It can be a striking comparison and bring you to an understanding about starved bitrate.

#643 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

I cannot compare to Fios, but I have had the same experience with my Panasonic TVs. For my TVs, scaling by the TV is better than scaling by the receiver; however, this is all dependant on the TV model. High end TVs generally do a better job of scaling than the DirecTV receiver does, but many entry-level HD TVs are even worse than the DirecTV receiver at scaling. In those situations, turning native off and only passing 1080i is better. Everyone needs to try it both ways with their equipment, and then decide what is best for them.

I guess the point I was trying to make (badly?) is that the 480i Native setting is not enough. It really needs to be original format or the receiver still does some scaling and makes a bit of a mess of it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#644 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Sunday Ticket and AMC HD are deal breakers so DirecTV wins for me. I came from U-verse to Time Warner Cable to DirecTV. DirecTV by far has the best HD quality of the three and has the most responsive interface for dvr and channel guide.

#645 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've had both D* and E*. D* had wonderful SD picture quality in the beginning. Switched to E* and used a dishplayer 7200 to watch SD only -- such a great receiver, I believe the software for it was written by microsoft, too bad they stopped supporting it. Switched back to D* after they shut down my 7200, and upgraded to HD. IMO the SD picture quality was better with E*.

E* had a winner with the dishplayer, don't know why they stopped us from using them. Perhaps it had something to do with the Tivo patent dispute?

#646 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Fox Sports San Diego is a definite deal-breaker for me. AMC as well to a much lesser extent. ABC Family not in HD is a factor too.

Though having G4 sure would be nice and I'd like to have the hub in HD. Obviously the other stuff outweighs these wants though.

#647 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hope he'll be happy with the coming changes to G4, http://multiplayerbl...7/g4-reboot-gq/

Thanks for the link. Looks like G4 is going from bad to worse and will soon become irrelevant at my house. :(

#648 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Fox Sports San Diego is a definite deal-breaker for me. AMC as well to a much lesser extent. ABC Family not in HD is a factor too.

Though having G4 sure would be nice and I'd like to have the hub in HD. Obviously the other stuff outweighs these wants though.

Actually, I have the HUB in HD and it isn't all that great. The do a slight zoom to the picture so that it is not full screen but not much is cut off vertically and the PQ is not all that. Their upscales are not very good.

I keep waiting for new or real HD programing and it just doesn't exist.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#649 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'd agree that Dish's SD is better on the western arc, and much better on the eastern arc.

I've had both, have DirecTV now and actively avoid watching anything in SD with D*! Of course, sometimes I have to force myself 'cause something in SD will just grab my attention, but it doesn't happen often nor with regularity. :lol:

id agree that dish sd is much better. i have directv but my parents & my sister have dish. based on my own visual inspection, i consider dish sd to be much better than directv's, especially when using an sd receiver on a hdtv. however i do consider directv hd to be somewhat better, but not to the point that it would be a deal stopper when considering subscribing to one or the other. :)

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#650 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

I too wish DirecTV had G4. I actually really liked watching ninja warrior and campus pd. I can't believe its been so long since they removed it and haven't heard anything about it coming back.

#651 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

i miss TechTV

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#652 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Regarding Dish VS Directv (SD), not HD -

I used to have Dish for two years or so before switching to Directv for about three or four years now, and the first thing I noticed is that Directv's SD channels looked better than those on Dish, not that I LOVE watching SD channels, but I did notice this. I'm only bringing this up because someone earlier in the thread (first page I think) had said the opposite! I disagree. Maybe I'm crazy!

Same here, but 14 years with DISH, the SD looks better on DirecTV. I have an HR34, that may be part of the reason. Also, I left DISH because of the number of law suits they are now involved in, dropping BTN was the last straw. The Disney and AMC dispute, plus pending issues with FOX, were warning signs of things going down hill. By the way, the installation was very painless, I received e-mail messages and phone calls along the way. I have not actually talked to a CSR at DirecTV yet, but I suspect is is not different then DISH; someone off shore who thinks they can speak English. One nice feature DISH did have was IM chat with a CSR; this helped a great deal with the language barrier. Maybe DirecTV would adopt something similar for their customers. all in all, three weeks and I am very pleased.

#653 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hmm... I'm with the earlier poster. I found Dish SD much better than DirecTV. In my experience DirecTV has the worst SD I've ever seen. That includes cable, youtube and kinetoscope. Maybe there was a problem with your particular receiver.

This was around 4 years ago when I switched from Dish to Directv. I remember that being the first thing I noticed *then*. Perhaps it's slowly taken a nosedive since then and I just haven't noticed it. But (4 or so years ago) Directv's SD was better than Dishs'....I guess that's not the case now. I don't watch very much SD, I do watch GSN sometimes and our Local CW is not in HD.

#654 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

This was around 4 years ago when I switched from Dish to Directv. I remember that being the first thing I noticed *then*. Perhaps it's slowly taken a nosedive since then and I just haven't noticed it. But (4 or so years ago) Directv's SD was better than Dishs'....I guess that's not the case now. I don't watch very much SD, I do watch GSN sometimes and our Local CW is not in HD.

DTV has worst SD PQ in a world before time of your short 4 years memory :).

#655 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Huh?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#656 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

You're assuming this customer had SD on the MPEG 4 systems. Prior to the dual arcs people said DIRECTV had better SD than DISH.

Huh?

Don't feel bad people that have been here twice as long as I have still have issues deciphering some of his posts.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#657 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

ok then thought it was my cough medicine kicking in
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#658 OFFLINE   sat4r

sat4r

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Would never switch from DTVto Dish after the CBand issue a couple of years ago which killed Cband and the old saying goes Friends dont let freinds have Dish.............
2 HR24-200 AM-21N AM-21
1 HR34-700 AM-21N
1 HR21-PRO AM-21
SLIMLINE DISH with SWM16
DECA system
U-VERSE INTERNET TURBO24
LG 42LW5300 LED 3D
LG 65LW6500 LED 3D
DIRECTV NOMAD
Customer since 03/2000

#659 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

And you were afraid you couldn't find the right words for the next post : D

#660 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

i didn't read thru 27 pages of posts but i'm certain i'm not the only one that will stick with D* no matter what when they're the sole provider of the ticket!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...