Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Please keep on topic and quit discussing each other and stop the name calling.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've considered Dish because of the Hopper/Joey. I would wait a few months to see how the software shakes out in the real world. I won't do anything until after summer. I'm rather highly invested with DirecTV, so it will take alot to get me to switch.

I saw the combo at CES, and while it's a real innovation to record the networks in primetime so you can go back and catch what you "missed", the Joey's are not so clever.
Plus, I have so many things recorded in the queue, I don't want to know about more things I might want to watch! ;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#63 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Until Dish gets the NFLST it will NEVER be better than DIRECTV!

I'm not sure sure that DISH could come up with something that is equivalent to the 10 tuners of my 2 HR34s.

2 Hoppers would give you effectively 9 tuners during prime time and 6 otherwise.

But I have to ask, what in the world can you want to watch that would have you need 10 tuners at any given time? The most I've ever had going at once were 5 of the 6 tuners I have and that very rarely.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

But I have to ask, what in the world can you want to watch that would have you need 10 tuners at any given time? The most I've ever had going at once were 5 of the 6 tuners I have and that very rarely.

This might be more important with a multi-viewer household.
I know I can't find that much to record at one time, but figure if there were kids here, there might be more.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Dish has SiriusXM? Now there's a reason not to get Dish (post merger XM).;)

#66 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Typical answers
should of been expected

Which company lost overall subscribers again for the year?
Which company pulled it's top end receiver?
Which company released a new top end receiver?
Which company increased it's fees per receiver to be like a cable model?
Which company gets higher customer satisfaction ratings of the two?
Which company has been cited multiple times for carrying channels it wasn't authorized to?
Which company has been regulated by the government due to not following federal guidelines?
Which company spends more money on court costs?
Which company loses more court cases?

So I guess if those are "Typical questions" than it makes DISH still a better company? DISH has proven over and over again that they think small when it comes to their customers. The new hopper joey aspect proves that even more. Why limit yourself to a set hardware limit and yet they've done just that intentionally. Charlie lives in the past and is still scared of his shadow. He thinks that every customer is out there to rip him off and that if they allowed the same amount of receivers, tuners, and equipment on accounts that DIRECTV did that they would be ripped off somehow. Until the board is replaced this is how it will always be with DISH and since Charlie is the controlling stock holder this is how it will be. I could use an Al Davis analogy as when he started he did go against the grain and was innovative. However as he gets older he does more damage to his company than good.

There's a difference between cost and value don't get them confused. If DISH meets your needs than more power to you but if you want to judge a company based on success it's already been proven who the better company is. No one company will ever be for everyone so having choices is good.

So the bottom line to customers is still what company has products, services, and an overall experience that meets their needs. 7 million more customers have already proven which company meets that overall compared to the other.

FYI typical responses don't make them any less correct or valid. If you asked someone if 1+1=2 you would get a typical response.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#67 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

2 Hoppers would give you effectively 9 tuners during prime time and 6 otherwise.

So, 1 HR34 and 2 HD receivers are much better than 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's.

The 2 HD receivers will not use any of the 5 HR34 tuners when watching live TV.

The 2 Joeys use 2 of the 3 Hopper tuners leaving you only 1 Tuner to Record.

That is a big setback.

#68 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

re: Hooper. What good is recording the entire prime time on the networks if you are only interested in maybe 50% of those shows?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#69 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

This might be more important with a multi-viewer household.

I can very easily see a household of 5 or more needing it. we are a house of 3 and often have recording conflicts between the kids shows and ours..

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#70 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Until Dish has the amount of sports packages, they aren't even in the same ballpark... no provider is for that matter.

#71 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

So, 1 HR34 and 2 HD receivers are much better than 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's.

The 2 HD receivers will not use any of the 5 HR34 tuners when watching live TV.

The 2 Joeys use 2 of the 3 Hopper tuners leaving you only 1 Tuner to Record.

That is a big setback.

In tuner count, the D* model always comes out ahead in actual numbers. But in effective tuner availability, it depends on what, when and how you watch TV. Having more tuners isn't necessarily an advantage in actual use.

For instance, the only times I've seen an issue with contentions is during prime time and that caused by the broadcast channels. For other channels, they repeat so often it isn't an issue. My viewing is almost 100% recorded, I seldom watch anything live. So more actual tuners isn't a big deal. One Hopper with one Joey would do it for me.

For me an HR34+Hxx would do it or one hopper plus one joey, with no loss of recorded programming. IOW, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

Lloyd

#72 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

re: Hooper. What good is recording the entire prime time on the networks if you are only interested in maybe 50% of those shows?

If you want 50% of them recorded, it only takes one tuner to do it.

Lloyd

#73 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

For me, it's DirecTV vs FiOS. Have never considered Dish to be a tier-1 player, especially with missing my local RSN's in HD.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#74 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

For me, it's DirecTV vs FiOS. Have never considered Dish to be a tier-1 player, especially with missing my local RSN's in HD.

Here FIOS is not even offered.. it's Directv, Dish, or Comcast...

Something has to be said about Comcast when 9 of the 10 homes on my block have a Directv dish mounted on the property:lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#75 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Something has to be said about Comcast when 9 of the 10 homes on my block have a Directv dish mounted on the property:lol:

Says a lot about DISH too.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#76 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Which company lost overall subscribers again for the year?
Which company pulled it's top end receiver?
Which company released a new top end receiver?
Which company increased it's fees per receiver to be like a cable model?
Which company gets higher customer satisfaction ratings of the two?
Which company has been cited multiple times for carrying channels it wasn't authorized to?
Which company has been regulated by the government due to not following federal guidelines?
Which company spends more money on court costs?
Which company loses more court cases?

Nice questions, even if quite of a few of them don't matter as a subscriber. :)

Here's questions I'm much more concerned with:
1. Which one has the channels I want in HD?
2. Which one is least costly for my installation?
3. Is the picture quality good? Yeah, I know D* has blah-blah so much better HD. My eyes don't see much difference, and that really is what matters to me.

All the rest is fodder for discussion and contention!! :)

Both companies are good, both are profitable and both have different views about how to approach the satellite TV market.

Lloyd

#77 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well, it says you live in a discerning upscale neighborhood! :lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#78 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Nice questions, even if quite of a few of them don't matter as a subscriber. :)

Here's questions I'm much more concerned with:
1. Which one has the channels I want in HD?
2. Which one is least costly for my installation?
3. Is the picture quality good? Yeah, I know D* has blah-blah so much better HD. My eyes don't see much difference, and that really is what matters to me.

All the rest is fodder for discussion and contention!! :)

Both companies are good, both are profitable and both have different views about how to approach the satellite TV market.

A fourth question you should be asking is which of the two satellite providers has a better track record when negotiating with content providers?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#79 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

A fourth question you should be asking is which of the two satellite providers has a better track record when negotiating with content providers?

Yep, that's a good question and it does affect the subscriber.

But I've been with both and it has not ever been a big deal with me. Too many channels to watch to start worrying about that. Missed a few shows I liked on occasion, just not enough to seriously bother me.

Lloyd

#80 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

By 'track record' do you mean standing up to excessive rates or rolling over and passing the cost to the consumer...?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...