Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

u guys use some pretty pathetic reasoning to convince people that directv is better than any other provider.
like directv is something out of this world
pretty pathetic

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

u guys use some pretty pathetic reasoning to convince people that directv is better than any other provider.
pretty pathetic

I try not to, but then I also don't understand why you're so upset about favorable posts about DirecTV in a DirecTV forum.

Weren't you going to stop posting?
A.K.A VOS

#83 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

pretty pathetic

The question was "How many of you with DirecTV think Dish is getting better than DirecTV"; nothing about trying to convince Dish people that DirecTV was better.

#84 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

There are people that like Dish, and there are people that like DirecTV. The ones that like DirecTV just happen to live more on this side of the forum.

There are some big reasons I prefer DirecTV, not something I'm going to get into on the public forum, but doesn't mean the customers that like Dish are wrong. If they don't think I'm wrong for choosing DirecTV for my situation, I don't think they're wrong and it's all good.

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

There are people that like Dish, and there are people that like DirecTV. The ones that like DirecTV just happen to live more on this side of the forum.

There are some big reasons I prefer DirecTV, not something I'm going to get into on the public forum, but doesn't mean the customers that like Dish are wrong. If they don't think I'm wrong for choosing DirecTV for my situation, I don't think they're wrong and it's all good.

So I'm guessing you also don't go over to the other side of this forum, and start calling everyone there names either.
A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

pretty pathetic

If you dislike DIRECTV or the folks that are posting in this thread you don't need to read the thread or reply to their posts.

Keep the posts friendly and the thread can stay open.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#87 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

No one provider is the best for everyone. You shouldn't attack others for defending their provider when you're defending yours. Who cares if someone likes my choice of DirecTV? Are you paying my bills? Until you start paying my bills, your opinion on what's good for me is worthless.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#88 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I would like to thank the Dish subs, that have taken their time to post their opinions about their service and not had to try to degrade everyone else who may have a different opinion.
A.K.A VOS

#89 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Competition is good. Neither would be as good if the other didn't exist.

That's all I have to say.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#90 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Dish's reduced resolution/bit starved HD channels is reason enough for me to stick with DirecTV regardless of how many more basic channels they have, I don't want to watch them if they look like garbage. (yes, I am picky)

#91 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

If you value HD picture quality, you'll never be happy with DIsh.
DTV = Digital Television

#92 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Directv beeing the Beetle in this case
Need i remind everyone that dish as more HD

With all due respect, I think that's a flawed argument to some extent. VOOM used to have the most HD at one point and they are gone. It's important to understand quality vs quantity.

D* and Dish carry similar HD channels for the most highly rated channels. Nearly identical, except that D* actually has a few more because of DISH's dispute with ESPN, ESPN2, etc.

D* has more premium HD channels than DISH.

Another poster mentioned D* needs to "catch up" in HD compared to DISH. It's funny, but there are areas that Dish needs to catch up to Directv. Premiums would be one. RSNs is another. Other sports content. Sports packages, etc.

Not everyone has everything.

Based on the last few years of subscribers going to the two services, I think D* is doing just fine including this latest round of subscriber numbers from the last 10 days.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#93 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Not a bad analogy, but it does depend on what you want to watch and how you watch it.

Here's a quick comparison of what prices will look like for me and not using any promos at all.

D* = Xtra (68.99)+(3) DVRs (12)+20 (ARS)=$98.99
Up in the air is what happens to the $10 credit for HD after 2 years, D* is pretty silent on that. But if it stays, then bill would be $88.99.
Mine since I'm already in place would be $89.99 since DVR+MRV is still billed at $1 more than ARS.

E* = T200 (59.99)+1 hopper and 1 Joey ($7)+($10) MRV/DVR = $76.99

Yes, D* has more sports, but neither has more boxing and golf which is the sports I'm interested in. Otherwise the programming is nearly the same with one missing something in HD that the other has.

Basically a $12/month savings going to E* in total cost. Other configs would be different of course, and added channels of one sort or another would add costs.

The price comparisons I did were before the Hopper and Joey existed. Since I do not do MRV and I need to take one of my secondary devices with me when I go to our other place in Mammoth, the Hopper and Joey would not be an option for me. I'll have to find the chart I did as I do not have time to research prices right now. But I did end up saving about $2 with Direct each month with my grandfathered package than I would with the equivalent package and setup with Dish.

#94 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

In my case, D* always comes out higher except as new/returning customer promos. Generally not a significant amount otherwise. Different setups will produce different results and the tendency before the Hopper/Joey was that the more units you had, the less likely Dish would come out cheaper.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#95 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

I had DISH as a second provider during 2005-2006 when some NASCAR races were on TNT and DirecTV didn't have it in HD.

But as far as doing a full switch, not a chance as things stand now. My service is set up too good with 5 HR2x and an HR34 coupled with Whole Home. Plus, from following from afar, it seems DISH changes dishes a lot. I am on my 3rd dish in 17 years.

Price is not factored in at all. Even if it were free I couldn't see switching.

#96 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

With all due respect, I think that's a flawed argument to some extent. VOOM used to have the most HD at one point and they are gone. It's important to understand quality vs quantity.

D* and Dish carry similar HD channels for the most highly rated channels. Nearly identical, except that D* actually has a few more because of DISH's dispute with ESPN, ESPN2, etc.

D* has more premium HD channels than DISH.

Another poster mentioned D* needs to "catch up" in HD compared to DISH. It's funny, but there are areas that Dish needs to catch up to Directv. Premiums would be one. RSNs is another. Other sports content. Sports packages, etc.

Not everyone has everything.

Based on the last few years of subscribers going to the two services, I think D* is doing just fine including this latest round of subscriber numbers from the last 10 days.

this coming from a Directv employee :eek2::rolleyes:

#97 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

can you come up with something more original besides using the same old quote?

#98 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

I respect your opinion, but I've actually had both in HD and the differences are very slight. Only in some sports does the difference make a noticeable difference.

Yeah, I know the tech says its better. But I prefer using my own eyeballs. Just like with speakers for my surround. I don't care what the 'experts' tell me, I want to listen and decide.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#99 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

this coming from a Directv employee :eek2::rolleyes:

Point out where he's wrong rather than trying to discredit him because of his employer. Don't worry, I'll wait......
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#100 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Point out where he's wrong rather than trying to discredit him because of his employer. Don't worry, I'll wait......

u better sit while u wait or your old legs will give up:lol:

spam firewall