Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I respect your opinion, but I've actually had both in HD and the differences are very slight. Only in some sports does the difference make a noticeable difference.

Yeah, I know the tech says its better. But I prefer using my own eyeballs. Just like with speakers for my surround. I don't care what the 'experts' tell me, I want to listen and decide.

Which is why they use 1440 x 1080, instead of 1920 x 1080, "for most" it's close enough.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Point out where he's wrong rather than trying to discredit him because of his employer. Don't worry, I'll wait......

Not to rag on Satracer one bit, but "yeah", when the sig says DirecTV employee, one might think their is more of a bias.
A.K.A VOS

#103 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

u better sit while u wait or your old legs will give up:lol:

I'm only 34, but in a wheelchair so I'm always sitting. ;)

Thanks for reinforcing how you can't counter SR's facts.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#104 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm only 34, but in a wheelchair so I'm always sitting. ;)

Thanks for reinforcing how you can't counter SR's facts.

if u truly are in a wheelchair then i apologize if i offended you,it was not me intention

#105 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

if u truly are in a wheelchair then i apologize if i offended you,it was not me intention

I wasn't offended at all. :) Thanks for apologizing, though, but it's ok.

And yes it's true. :)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#106 OFFLINE   stebrock

stebrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm getting my DTV install tomorrow. i've been with Dish since the beginning of satellite TV. The only reason I'm switching is for the 3D channels.

#107 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

this coming from a Directv employee :eek2::rolleyes:

Correct, I am an employee but fair in my opinions. I don't think anything I said was incorrect. On the highest rated channels, D* carries the same ones as DISH does, in fact even more because of ESPN, ESPN2 etc.

D* carries more Premiums in HD than DISH.

There are facts and there are opinions. I'm simply using facts. Does DISH have more basic channels in HD than D*? Yes. Does D* have more sports content in HD than DISH? Yes. Does D* have more Premiums in HD than Dish? Yes. Let's not forget that D* serves a more premium customer (customers that watch more Premiums, Sports..like YES Network, Sports Packages). Dish is a quality service and the right service for some people. D* is a quality service and the right service for some people.

Not everyone has everything.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#108 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm getting my DTV install tomorrow. i've been with Dish since the beginning of satellite TV. The only reason I'm switching is for the 3D channels.

Think that is the first time I have seen someone post that as a reason for switching providers :)

As to previous comment(s) about PQ... Ive never had Dish. My supervisor does. My Boss had U-Verse, now has Xfinity. Ive always had DirecTv, and did have Xfinity last summer for 3 months. I also am able to watch several of the actual backhauls and distribution feeds for some of the networks, and HD channels using a FTA dish.

What confuses many, I think, is why do so many people claim Xfinity has great PQ, and Dish looks as good as DirecTv, etc. Well, to coin an old computer phrase, garbage in - garbage out. If you take a 7Mb/s HD feed as a source, it doesnt really matter if you send it out at 13-15 Mb/s, its still going to look the same (minus losses from reencoding to mpeg4 if the original is mpeg2). So while DirecTv gives more bandwidth to each channel, some channels just dont matter, as they are low(er) bitrate to start with.

Xfinity looked excellent on my 60" TV here using a Tivo Premier on SOME 1080i channels, while seeming a little less on others. For the 720p channels, there was no difference at all. I am sure Dish is similar.

If all you watch are sports and Fox, ABC network channels, then since they are all 720p, you probably wont notice a difference between providers. 1080i movie channels is where the difference would be most noticable, I think. I never subscribed to any, so never compared them, hence my eyes never saw much difference between the two.

Now, if you want PQ, watch the 1/2 transponder PBS HD distribution feed. THAT is PQ.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#109 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

RichieRich does.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#110 OFFLINE   stebrock

stebrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Which is why they use 1440 x 1080, instead of 1920 x 1080, "for most" it's close enough.

Curious,are these actual numbers or estimates? Again long time Dish getting D* tomorrow.

#111 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

this coming from a Directv employee

You'll find that SR puts out facts; is very sparing of opinions; and hardly ever personal in his remarks: thank heavens!

But he's secretive about his association with DIRECTV®; you have to read his sig line.....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#112 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Curious,are these actual numbers or estimates? Again long time Dish getting D* tomorrow.

This come from the web, since I don't have Dish, but there are enough posts to believe it's true.
Bandwidth is everything, so when you only have so much, you either have to give up on the number of channels, or find ways to squeeze more into what you have.
A.K.A VOS

#113 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

RichieRich does.

Well, I try to do my Best to Keep Up with My Moniker!!!

I think DIRECTV is going to BURY Dish and I am thankful I am with DIRECTV even though they are not Perfect.

I have a few gripes with them especially about the Colored Button Changes but I am Extremely Happy with DIRECTV and I was the First One To Buy & Activate An HR10-250 (I was a TiVoHolic in those days) with DIRECTV.

I still have 2 HR10-250s for Sale if anyone needs them!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#114 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

If you want 50% of them recorded, it only takes one tuner to do it.

But, doesn't the Hopper always record all four networks regardless? And, thereby take up drive space!
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#115 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

The only reason I stick with DirecTV is that they still have the best pricing scheme if you have multiple receivers/DVR's. I hate to think what I'd have to pay DISH for THREE SEPARATE DVR's! A weird DVR with HD and RF (SD) outputs and two remotes (one RF one IR) doesn't compare to two SEPARATE DVR's with two tuners EACH!

As for programming, DISH has lots of programming packages but if you compare the DirecTV packages with the DISH packages that contain the same channels, the pricing is almost identical.

When DirecTV ups the individual receiver pricing again, I will strongly consider DISH or (gasp!) going back to cable.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#116 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

u guys use some pretty pathetic reasoning to convince people that directv is better than any other provider.
like directv is something out of this world
pretty pathetic

As I always say about DirecTV, "Best Television Service on the Planet". Out of this world I can't say for sure.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#117 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

u guys use some pretty pathetic reasoning to convince people that directv is better than any other provider.
like directv is something out of this world
pretty pathetic

Let me ask you one simple question, Can you dispute any of the facts presented by anyone here?

#118 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Let me ask you one simple question, Can you dispute any of the facts presented by anyone here?

Not now that his account is closed, or at least that one.

#119 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Folks, let's get back to topic and be polite. I'd hate to close this thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#120 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

But, doesn't the Hopper always record all four networks regardless? And, thereby take up drive space!

Not drive space you can use, it uses part of the reserved space.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...