Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

even comcast's PQ is better than DTV's

LMAO alright. Thats why I currently only subscribe to their internet service.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 ONLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

2 Hoppers would give you effectively 9 tuners during prime time and 6 otherwise.

But I have to ask, what in the world can you want to watch that would have you need 10 tuners at any given time? The most I've ever had going at once were 5 of the 6 tuners I have and that very rarely.

My wife will record as many as 5-6 programs in the same time slot, very few of wich are on the regular broadcast channels. Add to that my 1-2, which hmeans that there have been as many as 8. Not very often, but it happens. If the grandson is over, that chewe up one more tuner.

#123 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Does DISH have more basic channels in HD than D*? Yes. Does D* have more sports content in HD than DISH? Yes. Does D* have more Premiums in HD than Dish? Yes. Let's not forget that D* serves a more premium customer (customers that watch more Premiums, Sports..like YES Network, Sports Packages). Dish is a quality service and the right service for some people. D* is a quality service and the right service for some people.

Not everyone has everything.

Yeah SatRacer! You are totally correct. It's amusing that so many posters feel the need to defend their provider at the expense of another, and attack other posters in the process. Are they that insecure in their choice of providers that they feel the need to vilify anyone who makes a different choice?

The bottom line is that there are many providers, all of which provide a similar service at a similar cost. Each has advantages in certain areas. It's up to me, as a consumer, to decide which provider fits my needs best. My choice, based on my needs, may or may not be the same as yours. Don't tell me MY choice is stupid based on YOUR needs.

It's no surprise that we can't have peace in this world when we can't even discuss television providers without angry exchanges...

#124 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

I had a few times I had recording/viewing conflicts but now that I have Whole Home and four DVR/receivers networked together and four people potentially watching at the same time I've had a lot more. That's why I'm looking at getting a HR34 eventually.

#125 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Both DirecTV and TWC offer my locals in HD while DISH does not. End of discussion.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#126 ONLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

My wife will record as many as 5-6 programs in the same time slot, very few of wich are on the regular broadcast channels. Add to that my 1-2, which hmeans that there have been as many as 8. Not very often, but it happens. If the grandson is over, that chewe up one more tuner.

A little clarification is needed here. She actually records 3-4 programs for latter playback while watching two other programs live delayed, bouncing back and forth between them.

#127 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Both DirecTV and TWC offer my locals in HD while DISH does not. End of discussion.

It's only the end if you can't get them OTA either. Works out great for me because I can record 4 things at once on my 722k (2 OTA + 2 Sat).

#128 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yes definitely looking better not to mention having E! In HD which I'm totally lost as to why directv doesn't I used to watch it before got directv.

They have many more has I'm interested in too.

E! You really that junk?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#129 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

E! You really that junk?

One man's candy can be another man's poison.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#130 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,315 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

My daughter in Florida has Dish. I had DirecTV before I switched to FiOS. We both have 40-inch HD sets. I couldn't tell the difference in PQ between the two systems, although obviously this wasn't a side-by-side comparison. I preferred the music channels on Dish over SonicTap.

I can't really see much difference in HD PQ between FiOS and DirecTV. However, the SD PQ on FiOS is much better than on DirecTV, at least on TCM, the one SD channel that I watch fairly often.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#131 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

After 8+ years with Dish and 4+ years with DirecTV my experience is that...

With Dish the customer exists for the convenience of the company and that attitude seems to be from the very top on down to the phone lines.

With DirecTV the company exists for the convenience of the customer... or at least they give me the illusion that it does.

Sat TV has been far more enjoyable with DirecTV than with Dish from a hardware, service, and attitude standpoint.

#132 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

One man's candy can be another man's poison.

Yep, amazing how judgmental everyone is. So it's frowned upon for those that want to watch the Academy Awards Red Carpet in HD. Yep, it's on other channels as well, but some might like the E! coverage. Everyone's an expert.

Edited by Sixto, 25 February 2012 - 01:55 PM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#133 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

"It's no surprise that we can't have peace in this world when we can't even discuss television providers without angry exchanges..."

More's the pity. Up to this point, I've read the posts with a sense of bemusement. Upon further reflection, being this is television, the tone of the discussion is embarrassing, and not funny at all.

Sign of the times, I suppose, and we all think we have God on our side.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#134 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

This is like a bunch of rednecks fighting over who makes the best pickup.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#135 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

This is like a bunch of rednecks fighting over who makes the best pickup.

I was thinking drunks in a sport's bar arguing over their team, but guess it's the same thing.
A.K.A VOS

#136 OFFLINE   dah_sab

dah_sab

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

I recently switched from DISH to DirecTV.

What I miss from DISH: what I consider to be the slightly better GUI, RAI (Italian TV,) BBCA in HD, OTA local recording (better PQ,) local subchannels, no ads in the guide, manual recordings which show program info.

What I like about DirecTV: GolTV (essential for the soccer fanatic,) every single Champions League game, Fox Soccer Plus HD, Audience Channel, not paying for locals guide info, easier "season pass" setup, Whole Home w/4 total tuners & more storage space rather than one w/2 + OTA, no charge for extra DVRs, YouTube (when it's there, & so far not on 59e, dammit,) (seriously, wtf?) only one dish, 6 channels of Australian Open tennis during the first week of the tournament (and I'm assuming similar for other tournaments,) 2 custom Favorites, DirecTV subtitles, show info (cast, etc,) HDMI that works.

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of it right now. I'm very happy now, though I was initially regretting it before I discovered trick play. Not having that (or rather not knowing it was there,) would've made me seriously consider switching back. I consider myself very tech-knowledgeable & yet I didn't discover this for about 6 weeks. Probably says more about me than DirecTV.

So yeah, I'm very happy I switched after some initial trepidation.

#137 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

What I miss from DISH: OTA local recording (better PQ,) local subchannels.

Maybe I'm not understanding this, but adding an AM-21 will do this for you.
A.K.A VOS

#138 OFFLINE   fogtownjohn

fogtownjohn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

This has been an interesting read. It's been awhile since I did an Dish vs. DirecTV comparison and I am surprised. Currently, I have Choice Xtra (68.99) and found the Dish America’s Top 250 to be a close match (69.99). Dish has the following in HD which DirecTV does not:

8)

ENCORE
ID
H2
HALL MC HD
TCM
DIY
BBCHD
FMC
TMC
TMC XTRA
FXHD
NatGeo Wild

: |

TRUTV
TV LAND
LMN
E!
STYLE
OWN

OTHER PROS:
You can attach an external HD to the Dish 722 DVR and still use the internal drive. Their DVR svc is $6/mo and HD is free.

CONS:
HD offerings on Premium channels are not up to par - this is a bummer for me. Lower HD resolution? Inferior customer service - especially if it’s off shore.

I’ve been pleased with DirecTV so switching to Dish would not be an easy choice. I’d enjoy to hear from more of you except for emotional fanboys.

#139 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

This has been an interesting read. It's been awhile since I did an Dish vs. DirecTV comparison and I am surprised. Currently, I have Choice Xtra (68.99) and found the Dish America’s Top 250 to be a close match (69.99). Dish has the following in HD which DirecTV does not:

8)

ENCORE
ID
H2
HALL MC HD
TCM
DIY
BBCHD
FMC
TMC
TMC XTRA
FXHD
NatGeo Wild

: |

TRUTV
TV LAND
LMN
E!
STYLE
OWN

OTHER PROS:
You can attach an external HD to the Dish 722 DVR and still use the internal drive. Their DVR svc is $6/mo and HD is free.

CONS:
HD offerings on Premium channels are not up to par - this is a bummer for me. Lower HD resolution? Inferior customer service - especially if it’s off shore.

I’ve been pleased with DirecTV so switching to Dish would not be an easy choice. I’d enjoy to hear from more of you except for emotional fanboys.

Am I crazy or does D have FX, TMC and Encore in HD?

#140 OFFLINE   fogtownjohn

fogtownjohn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

You're correct, my mistake. I should have said "while D has TMC and Encore in HD" they are premium channels and not part of the Choice Xtra package. - Thx

Protected By... spam firewall...And...