Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

This is like a bunch of rednecks fighting over who makes the best pickup.

Ford! :)

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

This has been an interesting read. It's been awhile since I did an Dish vs. DirecTV comparison and I am surprised. Currently, I have Choice Xtra (68.99) and found the Dish America’s Top 250 to be a close match (69.99). Dish has the following in HD which DirecTV does not:

8)

ENCORE
ID
H2
HALL MC HD
TCM
DIY
BBCHD
FMC
TMC
TMC XTRA
FXHD
NatGeo Wild

: |

TRUTV
TV LAND
LMN
E!
STYLE
OWN

OTHER PROS:
You can attach an external HD to the Dish 722 DVR and still use the internal drive. Their DVR svc is $6/mo and HD is free.

CONS:
HD offerings on Premium channels are not up to par - this is a bummer for me. Lower HD resolution? Inferior customer service - especially if it’s off shore.

I’ve been pleased with DirecTV so switching to Dish would not be an easy choice. I’d enjoy to hear from more of you except for emotional fanboys.

As someone stated earlier, Dish can have 200 more HD channels than Directv but if you don't watch those channels it doesn't matter to you. Before the Fall of 2007 the average person could really gripe about Directv's severe lack of HD content. That changed over those couple of months as I'd say most of the most important channels had their HD channels light up on D*. Over the last 4+ years they've slowly added more. To many there are some glaring omissions. To me, there aren't. I don't have premium movie channels although most of those are now in HD as well. I don't care about most any other basic channel not up. I watch GSN but I only watch the old game shows on there so it not being in HD isn't an issue. I never even look at what's on TruTV until the basketball tournament. I don't care about DIY, Military channels, or anything else I can really think of other than perhaps Headline News but even that I just want so the once in a blue moon I go buy the channel it looks nicer. This boils down to what you are most interested in. I love sports. I sub to Extra Innings, Center Ice, and Sunday Ticket. Every other channel I care about is available in HD or the fact that it's in SD doesn't bug me. I just bought a 3D TV this week so seeing the few things in 3D from Directv are also cool, not sure if Dish has any 3D programming. They may, I just don't know. Im also content with the Directv equipment and the costs each month for having it. Theres also something to be said for having a service so long you pretty much know where everything is and not having to relearn new channel numbers. So, I'm satisfied with Directv and have no plans to switch. But as stated, others may feel differently.

#143 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Both DirecTV and TWC offer my locals in HD while DISH does not. End of discussion.

It's only the end if you can't get them OTA either.

CBS-HD is a sub-channel of the local ABC affiliate (WENY) in 480i and FOX-HD is a low power feed about 18 miles away and I can't pick it up with a chimney-mounted antenna. Sorry, but it just looks bad on DISHs end when the other two providers offer HD locals and they don't.
TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB), Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Turbo Internet, TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#144 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding this, but adding an AM-21 will do this for you.

Yes and no. The AM21, just like the HR20, it gets the OTA data from some D* database and that isn't always complete. With E*, the OTA scans for whatever is available.

That said, I think someone said that the AM21 with the HR34 does a scan although I could be misremembering.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#145 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I’ve been pleased with DirecTV so switching to Dish would not be an easy choice. I’d enjoy to hear from more of you except for emotional fanboys.

I would say, since the base price is essentially the same, you would have to compare the differences between the two services and see what is most important to you.

More basic HD: advantage Dish, by a wide margin
More sports: advantage DirecTV, by a wide margin
HD premium channels: DirecTV
Picture quality: DirecTV edge slightly for HD, Dish edge for SD
3-D: No comparision. DirecTV. Even if you don't have a 3-D TV now, will you be getting one in the next 2 years?
Equipment and technology: subjective, but I would give DirecTV the edge based on the HR34 and whole-home DVR

If everything were equal (or nearly so) I would go with the provider which offered the lowest price. If you are out of contract with DirecTV (to avoid cancellation fees), I'm sure Dish would give you a great new customer offer which would save you a few bucks. Or you could call DirecTV and tell them you're switching and they will probably give you a pretty good discount as well. And even if you do switch, DirecTV will be bombarding your mailbox with "come back" offers.

If you find something you enjoy with DirecTV (sports, for example) that Dish is deficient in, then it makes no sense to switch, regardless of the price. Although I would still politely speak with DirecTV retention and ask them for a discount based on your considering Dish as an option.

Good luck making your decision.

Edited by jimbo56, 25 February 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#146 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

I "had" Dish for 3 days last summer in a bed & breakfast. I thought it was beyond horrible. The GUI was awful, the PQ wasn't as good as D* (my B&B had HDTV, and the sets had pretty good PQ on locals). There were so many goofy channels too.

My wife said that E* reminded her of HSN back when they had crazy hosts with "Tootie the horn" while D* was more like QVC. (QVC appealing to a different demographic).

#147 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

We had Directv for several years. We decided to go with DISH because at that time their HD content was far superior to DTV. When we bought a new house and tried to use the movers advantage, we were told it would be 30 days! I immediately cancelled and got DTV again.

After 2yrs we will be moving back to DISH in the next 30 days or so.

Over this time period we have noticed no difference in the PQ as far as we're concerned! There probably is but we're just not that into it. Customer service seemed the same from both providers to us.

The one and only reason for us moving back is because I'm not a sports fanatic and my wife loves more free movies. It's really as easy as that as far as we're concerned. To each their own.

#148 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

Here FIOS is not even offered.. it's Directv, Dish, or Comcast...

Something has to be said about Comcast when 9 of the 10 homes on my block have a Directv dish mounted on the property:lol:

I like this. So true. The same can be said here in my complex. Getting a satellite signal here is HARD due to trees and the weird alignment of the buildings and only being allowed to place the dish on "controlled" patios, half of which face the wrong direction, like mine. My upstairs neighbor let Directv put the dish on his balcony so I could get a signal. Others across the complex do the same. Over half the buildings have satellite dishes, most of which are Directv. I am surprised to see OTA antennas, too.

The complex across the street is more lax with where the dishes can go, there are literally lines of them on the ground with numbers on the back (I assume the unit numbers). If my count is correct, only around 15 or 16 units over there (there are about 40) DON'T have satellite. I don't know what the Dish vs. Directv is over there. There could be more on the other sides of the buildings that I can't see.

This is what happens when Time Warner Cable is the only other option. They're just as bad as Dish with sports. Not all of our RSNs, no Sunday Ticket, faulty equipment, carriage disputes all the time. Yeah, they have the most "HD" of any provider I have ever seen (it's shocking to see what they have in HD, over 23 basic channels that we don't have) - but the PQ is just horrid. Dish isn't horrid, but few FT RSN HD? No ABC Family? ESPNU? How is that even possible!?!? Not to mention the sky-high price...

Edited by ejbvt, 26 February 2012 - 08:01 AM.
typo

#149 OFFLINE   nybill38

nybill38

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

i'm actually with both dish and direct right now for a short period of time and I have to say that both have their issue's.

Directs picture quality is slightly better
Directs DVR and on screen guide are better
Direct has more full time HD sports than Dish.

FSAZ is unwatchable most times on Dish.

Dish has more movie channels in HD Epix etc

Sling feature on Dish is very hit and miss mostly miss right now (software issue)

Like the local weather feature on dish (Weatherscan)

#150 OFFLINE   nybill38

nybill38

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

i'm actually with both dish and direct right now for a short period of time and I have to say that both have their issue's.

Directs picture quality is slightly better
Directs DVR and on screen guide are better
Direct has more full time HD sports than Dish.

FSAZ is unwatchable most times on Dish.

Dish has more movie channels in HD Epix etc

Sling feature on Dish is very hit and miss mostly miss right now (software issue)

Like the local weather feature on dish (Weatherscan)

I forgot to mention that Blockbuster is a joke if you try and watch it on your TV, you have search through 100's or even 1000's of titles, there is no real search function unless i'm totally missing it somewhere

#151 OFFLINE   EntropyByDesign

EntropyByDesign

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Agreed. I switched from Dish to Directv last summer, and the sports and picture quality definitely got better for me, but the new DVR menu system is slower than Dish's. Overall I was happy with both services. I just couldn't take Dish showing RSNs in part time HD. That was an unadvertised "feature" they neglected to mention when I signed up for Dish in 2009.

#152 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

there is no comparison Directv is better period. prehaps even close this thread.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#153 OFFLINE   dah_sab

dah_sab

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding this, but adding an AM-21 will do this for you.

You understand correctly. That would solve my problem, yes. It's just that the capability was built in to the OTA tuner in my DISH receiver, and I miss that.

#154 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

You understand correctly. That would solve my problem, yes. It's just that the capability was built in to the OTA tuner in my DISH receiver, and I miss that.

The HR20 [the first MPEG-4] had two OTA tuners.
These were removed with later receivers and required the AM-21 add-on. Most customers don't use OTA, so it allowed for the receiver price to drop, but for $50, those that want/need it can have it.
A.K.A VOS

#155 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Remember that even with the AM21, you can only record 2 events at any given time regardless. Other than with the HR34, which can record 5 events total at a given time.

With E*, the OTA allowed for more events at the same time. IE; with the 722k and the 2-tuner OTA module, you could record 4 events at once.

The E* model is more flexible in that regard.

Lloyd

#156 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

One complaint with D*'s MRV is that there is no central control/viewing of the series manager and todo list. Makes it a PITA to manage recording series, not a major PITA that makes you want to throw a remote, but a PITA never the less. Of course, the advantage of the D* system is there isn't a central point of failure also.

With E* and one Hopper, everything is done on the Hopper. Either by the remote talking to the Hopper, or via the Joey being controlled. And assuming that a 2nd Hopper at some point will be fully integrated, you still have central management. That is a big plus for the Hopper/Joey design. The downside of a single Hopper install is you have a single point of failure.

BTW, with D*s design, and using RVU TVs or the rumored upcoming RVU box and an HR34, the system is essentially the same as the Hopper/Joey install with the same benefits and downsides. When/if D* gets the RVU box out, and/or more TVs show up with RVU, I think you'll see D* pushing for a similar install to the Hopper/Joey. Makes financial sense for the company side. Reduces cost of the install.

Lloyd

#157 ONLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Been with D* 18 years. Every now and then I check in with a neighbor to see if I'm missing anything.

On balance, I'm not. And over time, it becomes harder to find someone I know who has DISH.

#158 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

In my area it is about 50/50 according to some installers I've talked to and my observation of dish types that I've noticed while driving around.

In discussion with my friends, it is also about 50/50 and usually whatever they got first is what they still have. I'm the only one that has done much switching around.

Lloyd

#159 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

BTW, with D*s design, and using RVU TVs or the rumored upcoming RVU box and an HR34, the system is essentially the same as the Hopper/Joey install with the same benefits and downsides. When/if D* gets the RVU box out, and/or more TVs show up with RVU, I think you'll see D* pushing for a similar install to the Hopper/Joey. Makes financial sense for the company side. Reduces cost of the install.

Right now, an HR34 coupled with some H25s has all the advantages of H+J and none of the drawbacks.

An HR34 with RVU TVs or a separate box would be similar in that there's a one box you can't live without: the single DVR.

I don't see how either will reduce the cost of installing other than an RVU device (or Joey) being cheaper than a full fledged receiver with multiple tuners.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#160 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Right now, an HR34 coupled with some H25s has all the advantages of H+J and none of the drawbacks.

An HR34 with RVU TVs or a separate box would be similar in that there's a one box you can't live without: the single DVR.

I don't see how either will reduce the cost of installing other than an RVU device (or Joey) being cheaper than a full fledged receiver with multiple tuners.

An HR34 with H25s is pretty close, but not quite. No actual live trickplay, but you can get around that.

Not only are the RVU boxes and Joeys cheaper to produce, which in itself is a huge savings for the company because of the potential volumes, but it makes for a simple nearly one-size-fits-all install and support structure.

I can see a future that would make a single box the go to box for all installs, even those not wanting DVRs or HD. Put the box in, disable the services they don't want (like the DVR and HD) and then when/if they want to change that, do it via sat/internet. No service call in that instance. And it reduces the per unit cost because of volume savings.

Now that won't be happening real soon, but I think that is the way things are trending.

Lloyd

spam firewall