Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many of you with Directv think Dish is getting better than Directv

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

My in-laws have Dish. They chose it because they wanted Chinese programming. If you want international channels, Dish wins.

That being said, they are on their 5th HD-DVR & 2nd or 3rd dish/switch replacement. In that same time period (4 years), my orginal HR20's have just worked.

Having more channels is one thing. But if the equipment keeps failing, what good is it?
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

there is no comparison Directv is better period. prehaps even close this thread.

I'm curious as to why, living in Philadelphia and apparently a big sports fan, you choose DirecTV. If I were living in Philadelphia and a big Philly sports fan I would not even consider DirecTV as a television provider, due to the lack of CSN Philly. If Dish doesn't carry CSN Philly (I haven't checked their sports lineup so I can't say for sure), I wouldn't choose them either. I would probably go with Comcast. Fortunately for me, DirecTV carries all my RSNs, so I'm happy with their sports lineup in my area. But DirecTV is definitely deficient sports-wise in the Philly market, IMHO.

#163 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm curious as to why, living in Philadelphia and apparently a big sports fan, you choose DirecTV. If I were living in Philadelphia and a big Philly sports fan I would not even consider DirecTV as a television provider, due to the lack of CSN Philly. If Dish doesn't carry CSN Philly (I haven't checked their sports lineup so I can't say for sure), I wouldn't choose them either. I would probably go with Comcast. Fortunately for me, DirecTV carries all my RSNs, so I'm happy with their sports lineup in my area. But DirecTV is definitely deficient sports-wise in the Philly market, IMHO.

Look at his signature...

NHL CI, NFL ST, MLB EI, NBA LP

Can't get all those anywhere else, especially in HD. Also, they might get cable's cheapest deal for CSN Philly.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#164 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Look at his signature...

Can't get all those anywhere else, especially in HD. Also, they might get cable's cheapest deal for CSN Philly.

All the out-of-market games in the world wouldn't do me a bit of good if I couldn't watch my local teams play. Maybe the OP has to go with Comcast for CSN Philly; I'll see what he says. I'll stick by my original statement that DirecTV (I'm sure not by their own doing) is not a good choice for Philly sports fans if you live in the Philly DMA. I will add - "unless you are prepared to pay Comcast an additional fee for the privilege of watching CSN Philly"

Also, I should add that I am a Phillies fan living in Buffalo and I am able to watch the CSN Philly feed on EI (except when they're playing the Mets or Pirates). Hardly seems fair to a DirecTV subscriber living in Philly to be denied those games.

#165 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I pay for 2 providers I have directv for everything - Premier, and the sports packages they offer alot of them in HD.

I have 1 comcast cable box on the lowest package for 2 channels CSN and TCN.

Trust me, iF D adds it the 1 cable box is gone.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#166 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

the sports packages on comcast in my area are on SD only. they use indemand. they were suppose to get 18 HD channels for there sports packages, but have not put them on there guide, comcast is behind in technology.

i only have 1 box = for 2 channels im paying basically about 35 a month for the 2 channels.

kinda feels like an endless PPV charge 35.00 a month about 420 a year.

so for the past 14 years I paid approx total of 420 * 14 = 5880

over 5 grand for 2 channels. But I can't live without being able to watch the philly teams.

#167 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

the sports packages on comcast in my area are on SD only. they use indemand. they were suppose to get 18 HD channels for there sports packages, but have not put them on there guide, comcast is behind in technology.

i only have 1 box = for 2 channels im paying basically about 35 a month for the 2 channels.

kinda feels like an endless PPV charge 35.00 a month about 420 a year.

so for the past 14 years I paid approx total of 420 * 14 = 5880

over 5 grand for 2 channels. But I can't live without being able to watch the philly teams.

I feel your pain, and I totally respect your decision. Must be a real aggrivation to only be able to watch your favorite teams in SD. Hopefully DirecTV will pick up these RSNs soon and you can kiss Comcrap goodbye.

#168 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I feel your pain, and I totally respect your decision. Must be a real aggrivation to only be able to watch your favorite teams in SD. Hopefully DirecTV will pick up these RSNs soon and you can kiss Comcrap goodbye.

i do get CSN and TCN in HD so its a plus, what i meant in non HD is if I had comcast as my only provider and wanted the sports packages those channels are in SD only in my area.

so Directv has everything else.

#169 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

With Dish Network offering more HD basic channels, having services like Blockbuster @ Home and still having SiriusXM channels I'm starting to think about switching to Dish. I was upset when Directv removed G4 because now I can't watch Nintendo E3 conferences anymore accept online and I was hoping the Tivo was going to be better than it is. To me the Dish Hopper looks more impressive than the HR34 and I feel the channel offerings are more to my taste on Dish. If your're not a sports fan I can't see why you would want to be with Directv and I'm not trying to be a troll I'm saying what I truly feel. I know some of you must have some of these feelings in the back of your head. Now that Directv is making a lot of profit I see them starting to become like cable. I know maybe one of you has to agree with me.

This is good!

I believe DirecTV made bad choices with the issue of what to add in HD the last three years: 2009, 2010, and 2011. And I've even stated in the HD Anticipation quarterly threads that Mike White and Derek Chang should be out.

As for making the move to Dish Network: it's not what I'm actually wanting. I have a renewed interest in MLB Extra Innings for the coming 2012 season (I subscribed in 2008, 2009, and 2010) and, in what may be a first, I'm considering a subscription come fall for NFL Sunday Ticket.

The picture quality, from DirecTV, is high. (Which is not to say differently about other providers.) I'm glad for that. I appreciate it.

In my market, my choices are DirecTV, Dish Network, WOW (short for Wide Open West), and Comcast. WOW is small fry. Comcast is chaotic. And Dish would require me to spend all over again for equipment that, two years from now (if that's when DirecTV finally has caught up with HD Basics), will make it seem perhaps unnecessary. All in all, it comes down to me (but not me alone; I don't live by myself!) weighing the options and arriving at a decision. And one can change his mind. But, in the meantime, I don't think I'd actually be winning with any of these four!

Side note: I found out, a few months ago, that a fifth provider is not a possibility with me. (I previously thought otherwise.) AT&T U-verse has service to my zip code. But my specific address cannot yet receive U-verse and/or high-speed Internet. Also: AT&T U-verse has lost select programming, due to contractual reasons, with NHL Network and both Hallmark programmers (Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel). I equate that with Dish Network having lost HD feeds to some Disney/ABC programming. And, quite frankly, I don't find that encouraging.

#170 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

With all due respect, I think that's a flawed argument to some extent. VOOM used to have the most HD at one point and they are gone.

No. 1 reason VOOM died was because it came on the market at a time that was premature. The U.S. wasn't yet into HD. Availability. Costs. VOOM was to its period what 3D is to this one.

#171 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

This is good!

I believe DirecTV made bad choices with the issue of what to add in HD the last three years: 2009, 2010, and 2011. And I've even stated in the HD Anticipation quarterly threads that Mike White and Derek Chang should be out.

As for making the move to Dish Network: it's not what I'm actually wanting. I have a renewed interest in MLB Extra Innings for the coming 2012 season (I subscribed in 2008, 2009, and 2010) and, in what may be a first, I'm considering a subscription come fall for NFL Sunday Ticket.

The picture quality, from DirecTV, is high. (Which is not to say differently about other providers.) I'm glad for that. I appreciate it.

In my market, my choices are DirecTV, Dish Network, WOW (short for Wide Open West), and Comcast. WOW is small fry. Comcast is chaotic. And Dish would require me to spend all over again for equipment that, two years from now (if that's when DirecTV finally has caught up with HD Basics), will make it seem perhaps unnecessary. All in all, it comes down to me (but not me alone; I don't live by myself!) weighing the options and arriving at a decision. And one can change his mind. But, in the meantime, I don't think I'd actually be winning with any of these four!

Side note: I found out, a few months ago, that a fifth provider is not a possibility with me. (I previously thought otherwise.) AT&T U-verse has service to my zip code. But my specific address cannot yet receive U-verse and/or high-speed Internet. Also: AT&T U-verse has lost select programming, due to contractual reasons, with NHL Network and both Hallmark programmers (Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel). I equate that with Dish Network having lost HD feeds to some Disney/ABC programming. And, quite frankly, I don't find that encouraging.

Your suggestion that DirecTV has been making bad decisions for the last three years is supported by...well...nothing. Three of the most successful years they have ever had. Thankfully, you were not asked whether the services of Mike and Derek should be retained. More of the same...
DTV = Digital Television

#172 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

even comcast's PQ is better than DTV's

Umadbro?

#173 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

This has been an interesting read. It's been awhile since I did an Dish vs. DirecTV comparison and I am surprised. Currently, I have Choice Xtra (68.99) and found the Dish America’s Top 250 to be a close match (69.99). Dish has the following in HD which DirecTV does not:

8)

ENCORE
ID
H2
HALL MC HD
TCM
DIY
BBCHD
FMC
TMC
TMC XTRA
FXHD
NatGeo Wild

: |

TRUTV
TV LAND
LMN
E!
STYLE
OWN

OTHER PROS:
You can attach an external HD to the Dish 722 DVR and still use the internal drive. Their DVR svc is $6/mo and HD is free.

CONS:
HD offerings on Premium channels are not up to par - this is a bummer for me. Lower HD resolution? Inferior customer service - especially if it’s off shore.

I’ve been pleased with DirecTV so switching to Dish would not be an easy choice. I’d enjoy to hear from more of you except for emotional fanboys.

Dish's website is incorrect about having the following channels from this list in HD, at this time they DO NOT have Fox Movie Channel, TMC Xtra, or TV Land.
DirecTV has FX, Encore, and TMC Xtra.
Their website also says they have ABC Family, Disney E&W, and Disney XD in HD, which they do not. I am not sure why they have not corrected this.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#174 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,161 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

No. 1 reason VOOM died was because it came on the market at a time that was premature. The U.S. wasn't yet into HD. Availability. Costs. VOOM was to its period what 3D is to this one.

Really? Is your opinion shared by technology/entertainment writers/analysts?
If it was then premature, why didn't someone resurrect it when it was time?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#175 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

If it was then premature, why didn't someone resurrect it when it was time?

Because by that time both DirecTV and Dish had greatly expanded their HD lineups. The appeal of Voom was it provided HD channels no one else did. Once others had them its appeal was lost.

#176 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Plus, IMHO, another thing that hindered Voom was that it didn't offer local channels, either SD or HD, via DBS, you needed to use OTA to get them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#177 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I see no reason to think Dish offers a better product than Directv, IMO

Love the discounts, Sunday Ticket, and reliability

#178 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Maybe for someone else's needs, but as for me, no thanks. Dish will never be my provider. I have looked before and by the time I get a system configured like I want it the cost is way too high.

A few extra basic HD channels doesn't tip the scales for me.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#179 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

My in-laws have Dish. They chose it because they wanted Chinese programming. If you want international channels, Dish wins.

That being said, they are on their 5th HD-DVR & 2nd or 3rd dish/switch replacement. In that same time period (4 years), my orginal HR20's have just worked.

Having more channels is one thing. But if the equipment keeps failing, what good is it?

Agree with this. My parents,mother in law,aunts and uncles all have DISH for Italian programming. I think they get like 4 or 5 new channels now. (My kids and all the younger relatives all have Directv or Comcrap)

For that DISH is good, but everytime I go there and pull up the guide and see what's on, I could never live with that. For me Directv is much better (not perfect of course by any stretch) and you'd never convince me to switch.

I know it'll never happen but if Directv ever upped their international offerings, I could probably make a few hundred in referral credits for them to switch.

#180 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

With Dish Network offering more HD basic channels, having services like Blockbuster @ Home and still having SiriusXM channels I'm starting to think about switching to Dish. I was upset when Directv removed G4 because now I can't watch Nintendo E3 conferences anymore accept online and I was hoping the Tivo was going to be better than it is. To me the Dish Hopper looks more impressive than the HR34 and I feel the channel offerings are more to my taste on Dish. If your're not a sports fan I can't see why you would want to be with Directv and I'm not trying to be a troll I'm saying what I truly feel. I know some of you must have some of these feelings in the back of your head. Now that Directv is making a lot of profit I see them starting to become like cable. I know maybe one of you has to agree with me.

I don't think you can lose out making the move to Dish Network. With what you have described, it sounds like you can make the switch, find out if you would be okay with the service and, if not, you can come back to DirecTV.

Last summer, there was one moderator or former moderator who made the switch to AT&T U-verse. He said, quite frankly, that he and his wife weren't finding much value staying with DirecTV. That they were willing to give a competitor a try. That was six or more months ago. But I think the attitude was a good one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...