Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Idol-beating The Big Bang Theory social media analytics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

As noted in the Ratings thread, "The Big Bang Theory" is beat "American Idol" in the ratings last night.

Today on the AdAge website we have The Show That Beats 'American Idol': Inside the Exploding Popularity of 'The Big Bang Theory' which tells us what's going on in the social media regarding this show:

Posted Image

• According to Bluefin, the average number of social-media comments for the first six episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" in 2012 almost quadrupled in a year-over-year comparison.
  • So what do "BBT" fans talk about when they're talking about "BBT"? ...The most common type of comment about the show is more or less a declaration to the world that, hey, I'm watching this show! ...Other comments tend to have to do with quoting funny dialogue and ticking off specific narrative points -- like the "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock" game that the Sheldon character introduced ages ago on the show but which got prominent play again in the Feb. 16 episode. Sample comment: "OMG! Kripke messing with Sheldon through 'Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock'....

"The Big Bang Theory" ratings last night were 5.2/15 - 16.11 million, up from same-week-last-year's 3.8/11 - 12.51. That's a 37% increase in the 18-49 demo and 25% in the 50+ crowd.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

IMHO, BBT has consistently been one of the best shows on TV since it's first episode.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

By far one of the best TV shows in the last few years.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

By far one of the best TV shows in the last few years.

And one of the best episodes last night.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Agreed. Funny how I wouldn't watch it at first, figured there'd be bad geek comments, inaccuracies etc. Boy was I wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Never watched it and wouldn't have any idea if geek comments were accurate or inaccurate.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

BBT is hands down the best show out there right now and I hope it continues to crush Idol.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,477 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

BBT is hands down the best show out there right now and I hope it continues to crush Idol.

Thank goodness for DVRs, because I'm a big fan of both shows. After what I thought was a shaky start with the new judges last season, this year's Idol has been great, at least so far. Just my .02.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,628 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ditto.

But as others have pointed out....that's the beauty of having a DVR...people in the same household can see both programs if desired.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Never watched it and wouldn't have any idea if geek comments were accurate or inaccurate.

Generally even things written on whiteboards have been accurate. They have had real scientists and astronauts as guests, so they haven't ticked off that whole community.

Can't get much better than a real PhD in Neuroscience playing a Neuroscientist as a regular cast member.

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thank goodness for DVRs, because I'm a big fan of both shows. After what I thought was a shaky start with the new judges last season, this year's Idol has been great, at least so far. Just my .02.

Make that .04-cents. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Ditto!

TBBT is my FAVORITE comedy on TV, and one of my favorite shows. That being said, I don't have to watch it right away, but AI is something I watch as close to live as I possibly can... not just because of the show, but because it's something I share in common with family and friends who like to discuss and dissect the show/performances with me.

As far as AI being great this year, it depends on how you mean it. I have disagreed with some of the things the show has done this year (editing, directing, decisions, etc.), but I think they have an AWESOME lineup this year. Of the "Top 24", there's 23 of them I'd like to see make it to the "Top 12", and that number may go up depending upon who is brought back Tuesday night (praying it's not Richie Law). Sure, there's some I like better than others, but I really think this is a great year for talent for them.

Not to mention that there is a bonus amount of interest for me since one of the contestants grew up down the road from me... :D

~Alan

spam firewall