Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM wiring question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Can someone explain this post to me? http://forums.solids...-Power-Inserter

"Basically" if you mix up which coax goes where, you can/will burn up the receiver.

I'd like to remove the wire from the "Signal to IRD" on the power inserter and pop it up on the splitter. My HR34 is on that port and it is constantly having issues (while my HR24 works just fine).
Can I just plug it into any of the empty ports?

Sure, but you shouldn't have any "empty ports".
You may have unused ports with a termination, which can be removed and placed on the "Signal to IRD" port.

Also, my HR34 has no "connected home adapter" on it like the other one does, will that be ok after moving it? I do have a spare I can put on there if needed. This is all how the installer hooked it up.

The HR24 & HR34 have the "connected home adapter" internal.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

The HR24 & HR34 have the "connected home adapter" internal.

Interesting. I wonder why the installer put one on the HR24.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Interesting. I wonder why the installer put one on the HR24.

That would be a good question, as the HR24 can't power a DECA adapter.
Are you sure this isn't the CCK to your router? That's about the only thing that "would make sense".
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

That would be a good question, as the HR24 can't power a DECA adapter.
Are you sure this isn't the CCK to your router? That's about the only thing that "would make sense".

I was mistaken, it's another receiver that has the adapter. The HR24 and the HR34 do not have them.

I swapped out the cable, time will tell if that helps!

Thanks!

#25 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

You may want to think about switching from your 8 way splitter to a green labeled 4-way splitter instead.

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300083

Also, just to make sure, you said you have an HR34, an HR24, and another receiver. What is the third receiver? Hopefully just an HD receiver like an H21/H22/H23, and not another HD-DVR. If it's another HD-DVR you have too many tuners and will need upgraded to a SWM16 setup.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#26 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

You may want to think about switching from your 8 way splitter to a green labeled 4-way splitter instead.

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300083

Also, just to make sure, you said you have an HR34, an HR24, and another receiver. What is the third receiver? Hopefully just an HD receiver like an H21/H22/H23, and not another HD-DVR. If it's another HD-DVR you have too many tuners and will need upgraded to a SWM16 setup.

When I had a service call about a year ago to have my dish peaked, the service tech offered to upgrade my non-supported multi-room system to a SWM and DECA system at no cost to me. At that time, I had no idea that only some splitters were to be used in mult-room systems. Since that time, I've noticed, on a number of occasions, people refer to the green label splitters, and, when I checked my equipment, I saw that I do not have a green label splitter. The model number printed on my splitter is MSFSPLIT8R1-02.

I have, during the year I've had this set up, had no issues whatever. Signal levels average about 97 on the Ku transponders and 95 on the Ka transponders, and multi-room viewing seems to work fine. Thus, my question is this. What is it that the green label splitter would do (better) than the splitter that I have? Considering that my system seems to be working fine and that, had I not read anything on this board, I would not have even known that I don't have the right splitter, my inclination would be to leave things the way they are, but, if there are any potential issues with using the wrong splitter, it certainly would be easy enough for me to replace the splitter.

#27 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I firmly believe in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

#28 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'm also curious of the need for the green label an interested hearing why.

The third receiver is an HR22, but it has a tuner disabled, not to mention it's currently unplugged as it's going back to DTV.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

The green labeled splitters have been modified for about 10-15 dB less loss between outputs for the DECA signal.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

The third receiver is an HR22, but it has a tuner disabled, not to mention it's currently unplugged as it's going back to DTV.

For what it is worth, I just called DIRECTV, and they set up a service call (at no cost to me) to replace the splitter that I have with the correct green label splitter.

#31 OFFLINE   El Gabito

El Gabito

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

To follow up, since swapping the cable off of the power inverter I've had ZERO issues (knock on wood).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...