Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
SWM upgrade or hybrid
Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:44 PM
I think I have 4 options. I wanted to see if my assumptions were correct and if anyone had recommendations. Options:
1. Add 2 H24s and wireless connectivity.
2. Split the incoming 4 LNBs between the WB616 and a SWM8. Put 2 H25s off of the SWM8 and leave everything else as is on the WB616.
3. Add a SWM16 and feed the 4 legacy ports to the WB616. Use SWM1 and 2 for 2 H25s.
4. Upgrade everything to SWM8 or SWM16. Add the 2 H25s. I'd likely upgrade my 2 HR20s. I talked to Customer Service. Other than telling me I had to have SWM for WHDVR, they quoted me $199 for the SWM upgrade and $49 for the install. They also wanted to charge me for the H25s even though the website says they would be free, and that I'd only get what was on the truck. I have some more work to do if I want to go this route and get a good deal.
Thanks for any input.
||...Ads Help To Support This Site...||
Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:59 PM
Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:04 PM
Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:26 PM
What are all your receivers [by model]?
I agree. Are my configurations for options 2 and 3 correct, and which one would be more preferable if I decide to go that route?
Or why would you not want to go full SWiM?
Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:59 PM
Probably several things. I'm not convinced that DECA is better than my current ethernet network. I prefer to do it myself; if I converted everything, I would have D*TV do it. It's just a hassle to hear you'll get what is on the truck, bypassing customer service to get a better deal or not knowing what you're going to get charged before hand, and I have 2 rack mounted DVRs that are a small hassle to get to.
Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:10 PM
If you're thinking of H25s, then you'll be forced to DECA to some degree and again why have a mixed networking?
I'm sure you can band-aid a mixed SWiM/non SWiM, and DECA and ethernet, but I'll leave you to figure out which is "more preferable".