Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ensuring you get an H24 as part of Whole Home upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

The H25 has a VERY "receptive" IR sensor. I have one connected to the kitchen TV and the receiver is on top of a wall cabinet above the TV, with no direct line of sight to the kitchen table. However, the IR works perfectly when just pointing the remote in the general direction of the receiver. For mounting behind a TV, I doubt you'd really need the RF dongle. That was the design parameter. I'm sure the thinking was that if it were going to be inside a cabinet, then the dongle wouldn't be an issue.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

The H25 has a VERY "receptive" IR sensor. I have one connected to the kitchen TV and the receiver is on top of a wall cabinet above the TV, with no direct line of sight to the kitchen table. However, the IR works perfectly when just pointing the remote in the general direction of the receiver. For mounting behind a TV, I doubt you'd really need the RF dongle. That was the design parameter. I'm sure the thinking was that if it were going to be inside a cabinet, then the dongle wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is if you use the bracket to mount it behind the TV. It's designed to block the IR window. I suppose you could cut away some of the plastic though.

Personally, I don't see a reason that it requires an external RF adapter. There's room inside the case for one. They could have done an internal power supply too. I'm sure it was cost cutting more than anything, but it's irritating.

spam firewall