Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-34 + HR-22

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yatch

yatch

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

I spent a lot of time here and on google trying to find the specific answer to my question and the only thing I have managed to accomplish is irritating my wife with a serious case of OCD.

Previously, I did have a "Whole Home" setup via a direct cat 5 wired connection to each (HR22) receiver.

Today I had an HR-34 installed which eliminated one of our 2 HR-22's (22 in bedroom, 34 now in living room). My goal is to streamline what the installer did today as it appears his install was "Directv Style"

The HR34 is located a few feet from my Apple router. I've taken the liberty to run the HR34 directly to the router but am confused about the two extra's now in the bedroom. I now have (in the bedroom) a cat 5 cable running to the black Deca broadband power supply which is connected to the white Deca coax adapter via the rep install.

Thats all fine and good but because I'm running the HR34 directly to the router now, I'm not sure what I do/do not need for the (HR-22) bedroom? Do I need both? One or the other? Neither? Is it necessary to use the CAT 5 cabling directly from the router to the bedroom now at all?

I've already tried different methods but am unsure of whats right. I have had success with whole home but no matter what, I can't use the "Connect now" successfully as it's always followed up with an error on either receiver, even after resetting the receivers as well as the network.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by yatch, 26 February 2012 - 12:35 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

You need the white deca box on the HR22, but can remove the other black box, as you dont want two bridges to the same network.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   yatch

yatch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Thanks Dave, much appreciated!

One more newbie question.... I assume the white Deca coax/network adapter will then need BOTH the coax AND ethernet cables connected between the adapter and HR34? :scratch:

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

You have the coax plugged into the HR34 (that will be your whole home network and satellite input on one cable), AND you have an ethernet cable plugged between the HR34 and your router (this will bridge the whole home network and your home network/internet). Then on your HR22, you would have the coax from the splitter plugged into the white DECA, then the white deca would have two connections to the HR22, the coax, and the short ethernet jumper. The white deca separates the satellite signal (coax) and the whole home/internet from the HR34 (ethernet) to their respective inputs on the HR22.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   yatch

yatch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

Fantastic and thanks again :biggthump

With your help I'm now confident the connections are good to go.

It appears I may need to give the HR-34 a few days to "settle in" as I still have connection issues with apps and a couple menu items (can't remember the specifics at the moment). But I can confirm that the HR22 and HR34 are communicating and picking up each others recordings without a glitch.

Appreciate the help!

#6 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:19 AM

HR-34+HR-22 = 2HR-56

Sorry, couldn't resist.

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

HR-34+HR-22 = 2HR-56

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You know when this is a geek forum when... :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   yatch

yatch

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

HR-34+HR-22 = 2HR-56

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I like it :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

It appears I may need to give the HR-34 a few days to "settle in" as I still have connection issues with apps and a couple menu items (can't remember the specifics at the moment).

TV Apps can be troublesome. Its not the connection, its the software. Some have manually set their DVRs to use a static ip, and manually port forwarded the ports used for TV Apps, while some have no issues with them at all using DHCP from the router.

If the problem does not correct itself, and it is an issue for you, search for the thread that shows you how to set your IP addresses for the DVRs to static, and forward your ports to each DVR.

It should have no effect on anything but TV Apps. Should not affect downloading VOD or using multiroom video.

spam firewall