Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving Deals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ndirishkmk

ndirishkmk

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm moving soon and seeing a lot of awesome new customer deals for Directv. However, I am a current customer so I don't qualify. What kind of deals has everyone gotten? I've currently got an HD-DVR and an SD-DVR. I'm looking to get either a total of 2 HD-DVRs or whole home DVR with HD receivers. I'm only looking to have boxes in 2 rooms. Any recommendations on how to go about negotiating? Is it best to call and threaten to move to Xfinity (my other option in the area)?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

You might be able to get the SD box upgraded and whole home installed through the Movers Connection.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

As dpeters11 mentioned, it might actually be best to start with movers connection. And what they will do, really depends on how your account is rated, how long you have left on your contract and how many discounts and free offers you have already been offered. The best thing to do is call and ask. If movers connection can't do anything, you can call and try a CSR. If that doesn't work, say I'm thinking of switching to Infinity.

They should send you to a retention CSR. Don't start off threatening to leave. Be nice, tell them your situation and what you want. Mention you were thinking about an offer from Infinity, but really prefer to stay with DIRECTV. Then see what they say. I just got an HR34, with MRV for free that is being installed this Saturday. I've been a customer for over 3 years, out of contract and started having problems with my HR22. So they basically replaced it with the HR34 and I had to commit to 2 more years.

Edited by RACJ2, 26 February 2012 - 10:18 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   ndirishkmk

ndirishkmk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thanks!! Any particular box I should ask for? Is the HR34 a good one to pair with whole home DVR?

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

The 34 is the only one you can request specifically. It's a good box, has a lot of extra functionality but still some bugs they are trying to work out. It is behind on firmware, still on the SD GUI.

#6 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

I just did Mover's Connection. Added the 34 and two other HD receivers, installation of a new dish (new house didn't have one). Cost to me $100.

#7 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

I just did the Mover's connection too. The only thing they'd give me was a free install of a new dish and another reset of my "customer since" date.

I've been with DirecTV since 1999, but every time I move, they reset it. This is the 4th time they've done it and I think it's done so I don't qualify for free upgrades/discounts. And there's apparently some derogatory remarks on my account now since I complained about the date reset and how bad the install was. Lovely.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...