Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internationl WorldView Dish with Slimline HOW?

s238

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

If done properly that wouldn't impact it. Call DIRECTV and ask if they have the installation setup or if it'd being done through a dealer. If they are handling it I would ask them to confirm that the international programming is setup and a second dish is on the work order for it. If there isn't I would ask to speak to the Sales Support department. If a dealer is handling it I would contact Best Buy to get the number to the dealer who's doing the install. They would rather get it right then lose a sale.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

What was disturbing to me was the installer's attitude towards my questions and suggestions (he had earlier cancelled my appointment).

Being a amateur radio op, a retired degreed technical professional, and having dabbled with amateur as well as FTA satellites, I am essentially disgusted by the experience. I would perform the install myself if I was physically well and it was at least springtime. But a free install plus a BB gift card, well, it's also economics.

The installer had a Worldview dish and a Slimline SWiM-LNB enabled dish he was assembling before I fired him. There was no SWM8 switch or legacy LNB in site. When I showed him the diagram I linked to here earlier he dismissed it out of hand. Giving him my last benefit of the doubt what could he have possibly concocted in order to make this work over one or two coax cables into the house?

Perhaps I would be better off purchasing everything straight away, waiting until spring, and install everything myself.

Also, how can I be sure I receive H25 and HR24 receivers and not something of older design?

Edited by Tribbs, 27 February 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,897 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I would have let him install it, then required him to show me all of my programming operational before he left. He would have eventually figured out something was wrong.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

I would have let him install it, then required him to show me all of my programming operational before he left. He would have eventually figured out something was wrong.

If the order is wrong and he activates it than it's accepted as correct.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I signed up for the following packages at Best Buy. I think the fact I am going through a BB rep is likely the problem because I am not dealing directly with DTV.

Premier package + MandarinDirect III

BINGO ;)

Retailers [in general] are awful. Call Directv.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#26 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

If the order is wrong and he activates it than it's accepted as correct.

the irds and programming choices are considered correct if he activates it, but I cant imagine those irds would even pass iv if you do indeed have the mandarin package on your account? Let him try to install it, he'll fail iv, realize he needs a legacy lnb and swm 8. If he leaves and its not working call in and it will create a FSR on him (hate to encourage this but it might be necessary). 1 bad installer shouldnt keep you waiting til summer to watch your programming

#27 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hey did you order MRV also ? because if you did not , you dont need a SWM8 it can all be done with a 6x8. I still dont know what he was doing with a SWM LNB theres no way to combine all that properly with a SWM LNB. Best Buy jacked it up is my bet, however being an installer myself its not too much to ask me to explain what Im going to do. If he refused to tell you thats not a good sign , I think you did best thing sending him off and hopefully you get better one next time. Next time I would doublecheck your online order and just get it all straight with installer before he even gets tools out of truck. Im not saying that like you did anything wrong because you didnt. But If you want MRV , the only way thats happenning is a KAKU LNB and a SWM8. If he dont have that you are wasting each others time. You did the right thing, in your circumstance its definitely best you know what you need because your install is a little more complicated than just an HD Dish. Good luck and let us know what goes on !!!

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

Hey did you order MRV also ? because if you did not , you dont need a SWM8 it can all be done with a 6x8. I still dont know what he was doing with a SWM LNB theres no way to combine all that properly with a SWM LNB. Best Buy jacked it up is my bet, however being an installer myself its not too much to ask me to explain what Im going to do. If he refused to tell you thats not a good sign , I think you did best thing sending him off and hopefully you get better one next time. Next time I would doublecheck your online order and just get it all straight with installer before he even gets tools out of truck. Im not saying that like you did anything wrong because you didnt. But If you want MRV , the only way thats happenning is a KAKU LNB and a SWM8. If he dont have that you are wasting each others time. You did the right thing, in your circumstance its definitely best you know what you need because your install is a little more complicated than just an HD Dish. Good luck and let us know what goes on !!!

While a WB68 can certainly do the job, less MRV over DECA capability of course. Are there any HD installs done by DIRECTV nowadays with legacy multiswitches?

That is to say, any non-SWiM HD installations done currently?

#29 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

While a WB68 can certainly do the job, less MRV over DECA capability of course. Are there any HD installs done by DIRECTV nowadays with legacy multiswitches?

That is to say, any non-SWiM HD installations done currently?

only ones would be upgrades where customers have legacy equipment like d11s, r15s, and the like. Any new hd install is swim

#30 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Good luck and let us know what goes on !!!

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions but I have decided to move on.

U-verse = 6 Mandarin channels
DirecTV = 8 Mandarin channels

23 Mandarin channels + Hopper&Joey = DISH

Protected By... spam firewall...And...