Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ATTN House/Alcatraz fans Daytona 500 now set for 7 p.m. start 2/27/2012

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not surprising they drew a big audience... NASCAR has a big following anyway, and airing on Monday like that it drew in some casual viewers who probably stuck around and watched a race for the first time OR first time in years.

The question is, whether it is smart to sacrifice their other audience?

Consider... back in the day when FOX was just starting as a TV network... they made the bid for NFL games for TWO reasons:

1. Obviously, having the NFL is huge... and would draw big ratings on Sundays + getting the Superbowl every few years.

2. Less obvious, but while you air NFL games you get to promo all your rest-of-the-week shows to an audience who wouldn't otherwise have been watching FOX that afternoon.

So... same holds true for NASCAR... they get ratings for NASCAR itself + promo their primetime shows... problem is, IF NASCAR cuts into and replaces a primetime show... their gain in viewers last night could result in a loss of viewers next week.

Imagine... someone on the fence about Alcatraz decides to give up on the show after this impromptu skip week... also imagine, knowing this is the final season of House... maybe some House viewers decide to skip the rest of the season and wait until the DVD/Blu-ray comes out.

One weekend of higher NASCAR ratings could come at the expense of a couple of months of lower primetime ratings... and if that happens during sweeps, it will affect their advertising prices for next year.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Not being insensitive, but,

There was a shooting at a school Monday, they talked about it all day. Wife switched the race on at 7 and they were still talking about it. I started hunting other channels down and she switched to wheel of fortune.

Well, eventually we checked back and they were on lap 2! Man she was ticked we had missed the green flag.

Thing is, they never said anything about when they were going to switch over. Last thing they said at 11am that it was going to be on at 7 instead. I know the shooting wasn't a great thing, but 12+ hours of it?

And why couldn't they put House etc on one of the sub channels? I know it's not carried on most providers, but it's an option.

#63 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

Not surprising they drew a big audience... NASCAR has a big following anyway, and airing on Monday like that it drew in some casual viewers who probably stuck around and watched a race for the first time OR first time in years.

The question is, whether it is smart to sacrifice their other audience?

Consider... back in the day when FOX was just starting as a TV network... they made the bid for NFL games for TWO reasons:

1. Obviously, having the NFL is huge... and would draw big ratings on Sundays + getting the Superbowl every few years.

2. Less obvious, but while you air NFL games you get to promo all your rest-of-the-week shows to an audience who wouldn't otherwise have been watching FOX that afternoon.

So... same holds true for NASCAR... they get ratings for NASCAR itself + promo their primetime shows... problem is, IF NASCAR cuts into and replaces a primetime show... their gain in viewers last night could result in a loss of viewers next week.

Imagine... someone on the fence about Alcatraz decides to give up on the show after this impromptu skip week... also imagine, knowing this is the final season of House... maybe some House viewers decide to skip the rest of the season and wait until the DVD/Blu-ray comes out.

One weekend of higher NASCAR ratings could come at the expense of a couple of months of lower primetime ratings... and if that happens during sweeps, it will affect their advertising prices for next year.

FOX doesn't care what viewers or shows they displace. Two perfect examples are Futurama and Firefly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#64 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Not being insensitive, but,

There was a shooting at a school Monday, they talked about it all day. Wife switched the race on at 7 and they were still talking about it. I started hunting other channels down and she switched to wheel of fortune.

Well, eventually we checked back and they were on lap 2! Man she was ticked we had missed the green flag.

Thing is, they never said anything about when they were going to switch over. Last thing they said at 11am that it was going to be on at 7 instead. I know the shooting wasn't a great thing, but 12+ hours of it?

And why couldn't they put House etc on one of the sub channels? I know it's not carried on most providers, but it's an option.

The shooting coverage would have been your local FOX Affiliate not FOX themselves. They, your Ohio FOX station, would have been the ones who decided when to cut to the race at that point.

As for the sub channels those don't belong to FOX, they belong to your local affiliate and your local affiliate decides what to do with them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#65 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

FOX doesn't care what viewers or shows they displace. Two perfect examples are Futurama and Firefly.

The total lack of being able to figure out if a show is going to be on or not, and whether it will get yanked right when I am starting to enjoy it, is the main reason I dont even watch any FOX series shows anymore. Why start. If it wasnt for our local Fox news, and Nascar, I would just block the channel out of the guide.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#66 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

The shooting coverage would have been your local FOX Affiliate not FOX themselves. They, your Ohio FOX station, would have been the ones who decided when to cut to the race at that point.

As for the sub channels those don't belong to FOX, they belong to your local affiliate and your local affiliate decides what to do with them.

I understand that, it was just annoying that they waited until the last minute to show it and failed to say they were going to do as such.

I forgot that FOX was sending NASCAR down the pipe and the affiliate couldn't pick up house to show it on a sub channel.

With the flexibility they have with having a sub channel, I was surprised they didn't use it.

#67 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

For Any “Princess Bride” & Nascar Fans….
“Hello jet engine on a truck. My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#68 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

Last night was a dry night on television, network TV especially.

HIMYM, 2BG, 2.5M, M&M, Castle, H5-0. Monday is a great night.

Glad I have a DVR. :)

#69 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

With the flexibility they have with having a sub channel, I was surprised they didn't use it.

For what?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#70 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

For what?

For showing programing that gets bumped or for extra content.

Actually I'm surprised they haven't used it for 24 hours of news, they already use up 12 hours of the day on it.

#71 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

For showing programing that gets bumped or for extra content.

Actually I'm surprised they haven't used it for 24 hours of news, they already use up 12 hours of the day on it.

You don't seem to get it. Your local affiliate couldn't have used their subchannel to show House or Alcatraz because FOX didn't broadcast them. FOX doesn't own the subchannels so they can't force your local affiliate to do it either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#72 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Somewhat OT, The penalties for the #48 team have been announced. Six race suspension for Knaus and Car Chief Ron Malec, $100K fine for Knaus and 25 driver and owner points. Jimmie is in the negative. :D

Hendrick will appeal.

#73 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Somewhat OT, The penalties for the #48 team have been announced. Six race suspension for Knaus and Car Chief Ron Malec, $100K fine for Knaus and 25 driver and owner points. Jimmie is in the negative. :D

Hendrick will appeal.

Oh darn. Not a Johnson fan anyways. I hope he finishes the season 43rd in the points.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I don't disagree with you... but Futurama was a 7pm show outside of primetime and Firefly was a Friday show where most networks send shows to die anyway.

#75 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

I don't disagree with you... but Futurama was a 7pm show outside of primetime and Firefly was a Friday show where most networks send shows to die anyway.

Futurama started as an 8:30 show following The Simpsons.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#76 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

You don't seem to get it. Your local affiliate couldn't have used their subchannel to show House or Alcatraz because FOX didn't broadcast them. FOX doesn't own the subchannels so they can't force your local affiliate to do it either.

I think you missed this part of my post,

I forgot that FOX was sending NASCAR down the pipe and the affiliate couldn't pick up house to show it on a sub channel.

I do understand, I just messed up on the coming across part.

#77 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Just notice that they are showing Clarence Montgomery on the 12th. Guess I will wait to watch them all in order.

#78 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Futurama started as an 8:30 show following The Simpsons.

I forgot about that... most of my memory was when they had shifted it to pre-8-pm and it was always pre-empted by NFL... which did kill it as I wonder about how NASCAR might affect their Monday night shows going forward... so I guess I was right in one way and wrong in another.

#79 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

I forgot about that... most of my memory was when they had shifted it to pre-8-pm and it was always pre-empted by NFL... which did kill it as I wonder about how NASCAR might affect their Monday night shows going forward... so I guess I was right in one way and wrong in another.

The odds of there being another Monday primetime NASCAR race are very very slim. They only did this because it was the Daytona 500. Any other race they would have delayed until Tuesday.

Now if NASCAR and FOX, who are working on renegotiating their deal, like the ratings who knows. They could make all FOX races primetime races. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#80 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

The odds of there being another Monday primetime NASCAR race are very very slim. They only did this because it was the Daytona 500. Any other race they would have delayed until Tuesday.

Now if NASCAR and FOX, who are working on renegotiating their deal, like the ratings who knows. They could make all FOX races primetime races. :lol:

I also think NASCAR really wanted Tuesday for travel. This cross country trek is already going to be hard on the teams but not leaving until Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning would have it much worse.
I have never been a fan of this cross-country zig zag and believe some place like Texas or Kansas should be scheduled between a race in some place like Florida and Phoenix.

Edited by fluffybear, 01 March 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall