Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone ever had a dish DVR last more than a few years?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

One of my 622's was one of the first installed. Don't remember the year but I think it was late February or early March because I remember pushing for an earlier appointment so it would done before I left on a golf trip.

My other 622 was installed a couple years later. Both still working fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I got my 622 since first installation in '05

#23 OFFLINE   Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I still have two 501's going strong (HD's replaced) - knock on wood.

#24 OFFLINE   MrDave

MrDave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

My original 622 turned 6 years old today. It was one of the first batch of 622's. My second 622 is a refurb unit that I've had for 2 years. Both units are located together in a single cabinet with a 24/7 external cooling fan and I've always treated their HDMI port like it's the most fragile thing in the world (because apparently it is). These 2 622s are the only HiDef DVRs I've had, both are heavily used, and I've been very lucky with both of them. I hope that bragging on them doesn't jinx me.

Before that, I had a 721 which ran for several years trouble free before it was retired by Dish and replaced by a refurb 522. The 522 died after 18 months, but the harddrive that I salvaged from the retired 721 lives on today as a secondary disk in my desktop computer.

#25 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

My 722K has a set of cooling fans that keep the hard drive temps down to a 95 average with 107 being the highest, so the units own fan only runs hard when it does a reboot, which seems a lot lately with the OTA module issues…

I also keep it dust free, but it has been tooling along since 09...

#26 OFFLINE   jack51pine

jack51pine

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I've had Dish DVRs since they first came out, but I've never had one last more than 3 years. I'd thought maybe I finally had a winner with my current VIP722, but in the last few days it's showing signs of dying. Locks up during playback, and then loses all DVR functionality until after a reboot. I'm guessing a matter of days now before it dies for good.

To me this is pretty frustrating. I wouldn't complain if it were a new technology, but DVR has been out for a long time now, and I'd expect reliability should now be high enough to last more than 3 years. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that every time I get a replacement unit from Dish, it's always a "refurbished" unit. I miss the days when I could buy my own DVR from Dish...

So I'm wondering if I've just been unlucky, or whether this is a fairly common problem?

We've had our 522 for eight years no problems.

#27 OFFLINE   kregster

kregster

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

my 722s are still going strong after 2+ years with one in a cabinet

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've had Dish DVRs since they first came out, but I've never had one last more than 3 years. I'd thought maybe I finally had a winner with my current VIP722, but in the last few days it's showing signs of dying. Locks up during playback, and then loses all DVR functionality until after a reboot. I'm guessing a matter of days now before it dies for good.

To me this is pretty frustrating. I wouldn't complain if it were a new technology, but DVR has been out for a long time now, and I'd expect reliability should now be high enough to last more than 3 years. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that every time I get a replacement unit from Dish, it's always a "refurbished" unit. I miss the days when I could buy my own DVR from Dish...

So I'm wondering if I've just been unlucky, or whether this is a fairly common problem?

If you'll look at my posts related to overheating internal components include a drive inside 622/722 model (I would say 922 is in same boat), you'll find why.
And I did propose (and fix my [own] 622 cooling headache) proper design for efficient cooling of 622's internal parts.
My 622 is running from '07 without any HW problem (I don't want go into countless SW issues now ;) ).
Recently, ["eSATA for 622"] I found other solution what is not required metal work at all - external box for the drive, see my other thread.

#29 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I guess I've been fortunate. Havent really had any failures. My 1st dvr, the 721 (purchased Feb. 2003), still works, still use once in a while. 2nd dvr, 510 (purchased spring 2004), still works an still in use. Then I got a 522 as a 'replacement' for the 721, and allthough the 1st unit I got DID have hardrive issues after the 2nd day, once I got a proper replacement, no issues w/ it. It was hauled away for my HD upgrade back in august. Now have 722 an 922 working fine, course they are only a few months old.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#30 OFFLINE   ryker

ryker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

I've had my 501 since 2003 and it has been used constantly. Going to go HD soon.

#31 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

My first 622 just died this last weekend, it was installed in 11/2006.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...