Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO Go coming to XBOX 360 on March 27, 2012

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

http://www.engadget....0-on-april-1st/

Assuming this isn't an early April Fools joke, HBO Go is coming to XBOX 360 on April 1. The real question is will DirecTV support it?

Edited by Devo1237, 28 February 2012 - 12:00 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Assuming this isn't an early April Fools joke, HBO Go coming to XBOX 360 on April 1. The real question is will DirecTV support it?

I'd love to see more offerings like this on the PS3 similar to NFL to Go. It would also be a great addition to Sony's new mobile console PS Vita.

#3 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

I hope Directv supports it. I already can get it on my ipod touch but having it on the xbox would allow for watching on an hdtv outside of my house.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Assuming this isn't an early April Fools joke, HBO Go is coming to XBOX 360 on April 1. The real question is will DirecTV support it?

Why would DirecTV support something that's on the Xbox360?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Why would DirecTV support something that's on the Xbox360?

HBO Go access is a complimentary addition to your HBO subscription with your provider. However, each provider must choose whether or not to give access to their customers for the different devices that have HBO Go. Currently DirecTV allows HBO Go access on mobile devices like Android, iPhone, and iPad, but does not support it on the Roku.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

HBO Go access is a complimentary addition to your HBO subscription with your provider. However, each provider must choose whether or not to give access to their customers for the different devices that have HBO Go. Currently DirecTV allows HBO Go access on mobile devices like Android, iPhone, and iPad, but does not support it on the Roku.

Exactly. DirecTV allows it on mobile devices, but so far I haven't heard of them allowing it on TVs themselves or devices that hook up to TVs. DirecTV wants you using one of their receivers to watch it on your TV (so they get the $6/month for it).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Exactly. DirecTV allows it on mobile devices, but so far I haven't heard of them allowing it on TVs themselves or devices that hook up to TVs. DirecTV wants you using one of their receivers to watch it on your TV (so they get the $6/month for it).

It's allowed on Samsung TVs and has been great.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

OK, I hadn't heard that yet (haven't been on here as much since I started my new job). In that case I would say there is a decent chance that DirecTV may allow it on the Xbox 360. It might be that they just don't see the benefit in dealing with ROKU for the number of people that would actually use it on that device.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ok, then you probably meant to say you hope "DirecTV allows access" instead of "DirecTV supports it". Big difference.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Whats annoying on the Xbox 360 side is that more than likely it will require you to have Gold membership.

#11 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ok, then you probably meant to say you hope "DirecTV allows access" instead of "DirecTV supports it". Big difference.

In this case "allowing access" is a form of support, since the system doesn't work without it. So no, I meant to say support. :)

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

In this case "allowing access" is a form of support, since the system doesn't work without it. So no, I meant to say support. :)

No, not really but if it makes you feel better then go with it. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hopefully the HBO GO app will be available on the PS3 soon.

Visit my website Wrestling With Green Pinstripes: http://wgpinstripes.blogspot.com.

#14 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

No, not really but if it makes you feel better then go with it. :)

I don't even understand what you're talking about. Do you think support only means customer service? Support can be used in many different ways. A leg can support a table, a wife can support her husband, a TV can support different resolutions, and DirecTV can support HBO Go for the XBOX. Much like Apple's infamous decision not to support Flash on the iPhone. Like it or not, the word "support" is often used this way in the cultural lexicon.

http://www.hackingne...o-channel-.html

http://www.forbes.co...fore-april-1st/

And then there’s the folks who won’t understand why their cable system doesn’t support HBO GO (e.g. DirecTV for the Roku and Time Warner for all TV-connected devices).

#15 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

From what i've read they're only supporting Cable subscribers at this time.
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#16 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

From what i've read they're only supporting Cable subscribers at this time.

Don't believe everything you read. :computer:
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Oh man, I hope you're hinting at DTV supporting it. I would subscribe to HBO on April 1 if they do.

#18 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Would LOVE the ability for this to be accessed through my Xbox

The access to all the HBO shows is amazing, imo

#19 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Many moons ago you suggested that a new and improved HBO On Demand was on its way and would be functionally equivalent to HBO GO. What is the status of that project? If HBO GO is going to be "suported" by DirecTV on the XBox, then I would expect that it would also be "supported" on the Roku. No?

#20 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Whats annoying on the Xbox 360 side is that more than likely it will require you to have Gold membership.

Another problem is that, if you've optimized your TVs settings for video games on the input the Xbox is using, TV programs look horrible.

I can fix it with a few clicks of the TV's remote, but then ... I have to find the TV's remote and click buttons on it a few times. Ugh. :-)

-- Roger

Protected By... spam firewall...And...