Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO Go coming to XBOX 360 on March 27, 2012

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

So, which is it, a threat or a gnat? Too big or too small? How much is your bottom dollar?

Gnats can take eyes off the ball and become a threat. I'd characterize them as an annoying gnat who markets themselves as a cord cutting device and now they want to all of a sudden be chummy with the very distributors they are also trying to undercut. Seems rather ballsy of them. I don't blame Comcast, DTV or others saying no thanks. We're not in the business of helping you out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I checked this out as well as the iPad app. Works well enough, although the PQ was disappointing on Xbox. Maybe the servers were getting hammered because it just went live. Also, I can only arrange my watch list on the iPad app.

#103 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Satellite Racer, Why no Roku? All the Roku does is retrofit older TVs to receive the exact same content as XBox360, and Samsung smart TVs. It just doesn't make sense.

#104 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,464 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have it on my Xbox 360 and also on Google TV. I like the Xbox version much better. It is much faster.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#105 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

XBOX 360 = Gamin Device First
Roku = Content Delivery system first

It's not hard to understand why.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#106 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

XBOX 360 = Gamin Device First

That used to be true. The times they are a-changing.

For the first time on XBOX, more time is now being spent watching online video than playing games.

I guess if DIRECTV had known that XBOX was used as a streaming device more than as a game system then DIRECTV would have denied use of HBO GO on XBOX too?

https://www.google.c...cc446d8fe785299

#107 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Uh, what are you all talking about? I just signed up for HBO GO and MAX GO on my computer, and all I've seen available so far are things I've already seen on my TV, but in lower resolution with lower quality sound. I do have an XBOX 360, Ipad, Ipod Touch, but why in the world would I want access to programs I've already seen, with poor picture and sound quality? I'm sure I'm missing the point.
Greg

#108 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

For the first time on XBOX, more time is now being spent watching online video than playing games.

I guess if DIRECTV had known that XBOX was used as a streaming device more than as a game system then DIRECTV would have denied use of HBO GO on XBOX too?

People don't buy them just to be a primary streaming device. They can be but if someone just wants something to stream there are cheaper options out there with more options.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#109 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Uh, what are you all talking about? I just signed up for HBO GO and MAX GO on my computer, and all I've seen available so far are things I've already seen on my TV, but in lower resolution with lower quality sound. I do have an XBOX 360, Ipad, Ipod Touch, but why in the world would I want access to programs I've already seen, with poor picture and sound quality? I'm sure I'm missing the point.

Obviously you're not interested in a lot of stuff others are: the entire back catalogs of every HBO TV show ever (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Deadwood, Oz, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under . . .) and the entire online catalog of HBO programming for the current month on a big screen (something net yet offered through HBO On Demand, no matter the relative quality).

Not everyone has a DVR or MRV, not everyone wants to fart around through 2 weeks of Guide data for 6 or 8 channels to find out when to set a recording, some people just want to sit down in front of their device (TV, laptop, tablet, phone) and just watch an old movie RIGHT NOW, no fuss, no muss.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#110 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Obviously you're not interested in a lot of stuff others are: the entire back catalogs of every HBO TV show ever (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Deadwood, Oz, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under . . .) and the entire online catalog of HBO programming for the current month on a big screen (something net yet offered through HBO On Demand, no matter the relative quality).

Not everyone has a DVR or MRV, not everyone wants to fart around through 2 weeks of Guide data for 6 or 8 channels to find out when to set a recording, some people just want to sit down in front of their device (TV, laptop, tablet, phone) and just watch an old movie RIGHT NOW, no fuss, no muss.

I think it's awesome. I missed out on the last half of the second season of Rome and now can catch up on it at my leisure.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#111 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,464 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

If you have a slow Internet you may have a worse picture. I have a high speed one and my PQ is good, on the XBox 360 and on Google TV.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#112 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

HBO Go (With Dish) is fantastic on the Roku. Picture is 720P, and a very very good picture. Being able to watch Deadwood again makes it worth it alone for me.

Even on the computer the picture is not bad at all, granted you do need a decent internet speed.

#113 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sort of...this compares online gaming vs online video. What it doesnt account for is gaming off line. You can be sure that gaming is by far the #1 use of a xbox... At least for now. You are right that it does show that the xbox is consuming more and more video content, mostly netflix which is integrated very nicely with the xbox. Microsoft has always stated that they wanted to win the livingroom.

#114 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

I checked this out as well as the iPad app. Works well enough, although the PQ was disappointing on Xbox. Maybe the servers were getting hammered because it just went live. Also, I can only arrange my watch list on the iPad app.

The black levels are poor on this app for me. It is not a problem with the other video apps, but HBO Go has terrible black levels on my Xbox.

Also, the wishlist isn't just non-sortable, it actually randomly scrambles the order for me. :mad:

Regarding, video/gaming usage. My friends lists usually have more people watching Netflix than anything else, FWIW. Also Hulu, Zune, Crackle, ESPN, etc are all increasing in popularity in my friends lists.

Edited by Dan B, 31 March 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#115 OFFLINE   irishjdf

irishjdf

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

OK, I hadn't heard that yet (haven't been on here as much since I started my new job). In that case I would say there is a decent chance that DirecTV may allow it on the Xbox 360. It might be that they just don't see the benefit in dealing with ROKU for the number of people that would actually use it on that device.

Actually, ROKU device sales are increasing especially since Wal-Mart started selling them. I have the ROKU XS and it is amazing! The HD streaming content is 1080P on most channels. More channels are being added weekly and there are many "private" channels as well. DIRECTV won't let HBO subscribers log into HBO GO on ROKU because they feel it is competition to their HBO ON-Demand. A representative from HBO told me they are in talks with their legal department as to whether blocking HBO GO by some cable and satellite companies is legal because we are paying for HBO service and that is included. Time will tell.

#116 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'd like to see hbo go added to appletv.

#117 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Actually, ROKU device sales are increasing especially since Wal-Mart started selling them. I have the ROKU XS and it is amazing! The HD streaming content is 1080P on most channels.

Excuse the off topic post, but with 1 post, you wouldnt be able to answer a PM...

Have you tried it playing DVD's, videos, and music from a home server? Im curious if the interface is decent. The PS3 bugs me to use.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#118 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Funny thing is, I've had access to HBO GO since its release. I've had the iPad, iPhone and PC to use it on. I never started using it until it came to Xbox for some reason.

I had a poor experience with HBO GO on all devices yesterday. Any device I used it on yesterday, the picture was either pixelated or stopped and started. This was the story on my PC, iPad and Xbox 360. Not sure if it was my internet connection or if HBO GO was overloaded yesterday.

I saw all the original cast Star Trek movies were put on HBO GO yesterday. I've never seen like half these movies and thought I'd start a little marathon on them. Even watching the first one that I think most people say is awful.

#119 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

That article says online entertainment is greater than online gaming. It doesn't factor in stand alone gaming (non-online) which is still the vast majority of usage by the XBOX. It's a gaming console first and foremost.
DIRECTV employee

#120 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Any news about PS3 support?

spam firewall