Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Options for Getting Ethernet to my Home Theater Setup

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm using the wireless CCK to bridge between the DECA networking and my router. This works well because when you're downloading from the internet, [one my connection is slower] it goes into a buffer as such, and if a packet is missed, then it's requested to be sent again.
This doesn't work with streaming, as there is very little "ask again" time, before it has to be ignored for the streaming to continue.
You can use it to link to your DECA, but it isn't going to help much going the other direction to bridge to your other devices, so the BB DECA and a switch would be better.

In my setup, the DECA cloud (MRV, VOD, TV Aps) is isolated to coax. I have three blu-ray players that we mainly use for streaming netflix/Amazon. One is hardwired from my router. The other two are connected via wirless n bridges, and seem to perform OK, even streaming high def stuff, but Netflix will usually start in SD until it builds a bit of a buffer then switch over to HD.

I guess one of the main reasons i went this route, is because I already had the bridges, and didn't really want to split the coax to add another DECA at each reciver to bridge the blue rays

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

After re-reading your first post, a wireless CCK might work for you, but going with the DirecTV install, would mean they run a coax to your office [most likely] and hardwire a DECA to your router.
A possible upside to this might be you're set to add a receiver in your office later if you so felt.

If they're installing a CCK, why would they need to run coax to his router? Isn't the CCK really a wireless bridge from the router to the DECA cloud? Sorry, I have a BBA, not a CCK, so maybe my understanding of what this does is wrong.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

If they're installing a CCK, why would they need to run coax to his router? Isn't the CCK really a wireless bridge from the router to the DECA cloud? Sorry, I have a BBA, not a CCK, so maybe my understanding of what this does is wrong.

The "term" CCK, has two different devices:
1) the old BB DECA
2) The new wireless (BB) DECA.

The installers may not have the wireless on the truck.

Wireless is the self install CCK off the website, which works with or without DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   jedorf

jedorf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Thanks again to all for the help and feedback. I'll get DirecTV out here asap, as I certainly like the idea of having the office wired for DirecTV, along with Comcast. I'll report back when I get it all up and running. Or, actually, probably before, as I'm sure I'll need some more guidance. Thanks again!

#25 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

8-way splitter(does it have a green label) has 3 free ports?
Posted Image

this power inserter is with your HR24?
Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------
you get a wireless-cck and hook it up to your 8-way splitter(green label)
and connect the wireless-cck to your wireless network
Posted Image

or you find a way to use the wired broadband deca(ethernet from router
plugged in and coax from 8-way splitter(green label) plugged in probably the best
situation if you plan to have all these devices on ethernet connecting to the internet
Posted Image
get 3 decas off ebay but plug the ethernet from the deca into a switch(in the places you want
to connect other devices via ethernet than just the box) and then plug another ethernet in the
switch and into your directv box and then connect the rest of your devices

you leave the hr24 alone because of the built-in-deca

picture of deca:
Posted Image
everything listed here can be had for around $50 on ebay if you use the wired
broadband deca or a little more if you get the wireless-cck
please correct me if i'm wrong or further simplify it for him,
but i really don't see him connected all these wired devices to his
deca cloud and than just using a wireless-cck to get back to the router (whether directv installs it or not)
i would think he should definitely use the wired broadband deca if at all possible

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

please correct me if i'm wrong or further simplify it for him, but i really don't see him connected all these wired devices to his deca cloud and than just using a wireless-cck to get back to the router (whether directv installs it or not)
i would think he should definitely use the wired broadband deca if at all possible

Not exactly sure what here is wrong or needs correction, "but" the wireless CCK will be faster than the internet connection, so it won't be the bottleneck.
If the traffic was say between computers and moving files, then hardwired would make more sense.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

Not exactly sure what here is wrong or needs correction, "but" the wireless CCK will be faster than the internet connection, so it won't be the bottleneck.
If the traffic was say between computers and moving files, then hardwired would make more sense.

I was thinking if he used some type of DLNA/AirPlay on the receiver for music or the xbox or blu-ray that the wireless CCK might not be that great if its close to the outside of the house and only getting maybe 50mbps if that.

sounds like his wifi router is from comcast it might not even be wifi-n or am i missing something

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I was thinking if he used some type of DLNA/AirPlay on the receiver for music or the xbox or blu-ray that the wireless CCK might not be that great if its close to the outside of the house and only getting maybe 50mbps if that.

sounds like his wifi router is from comcast it might not even be wifi-n or am i missing something

"I'm sure" anyone could overload a network, but if it's coming off the internet, the wireless CCK won't be the limiting factor.
Now if there's a lot of other traffic from the home network passing through the wireless hop, there could be problems, but music wouldn't be it.
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

This may be a bit off topic, but how well WiFi works can make a difference.

Here's what they look like here [right now]:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1330723237

As you can see there are many networks.

Now to look a bit closer to see who's using what channel of the 2.4 GHz band:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1330723237

Want to guess which one I'm using? :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• time.PNG
  • channels.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Want to guess which one I'm using? :lol:

2Wire199 you turned the power up to 100%? Wait no your Machu_Boom with the most free space

Is that the networks around you? I'm the only network here :) just me and my 2.4 and 5ghz

What program is that though I've only ever used http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

2Wire199 you turned the power up to 100%? Wait no your Machu_Boom with the most free space

Is that the networks around you? I'm the only network here :) just me and my 2.4 and 5ghz

What program is that though I've only ever used http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler

The power level is: Default: 400 mW

This software comes from: http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

The power level is: Default: 400 mW

This software comes from: http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/

Your Machu_Boom though?

I have all the channels to myself :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 4.31.10 PM.png

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Your Machu_Boom though?

I have all the channels to myself :D

I'm the 2Wire199.
One of the things I like are the readings in dBm.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   jedorf

jedorf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

8-way splitter(does it have a green label) has 3 free ports?
Posted Image

this power inserter is with your HR24?
Posted Image
you get a wireless-cck and hook it up to your 8-way splitter(green label)
and connect the wireless-cck to your wireless network
Posted Image

or you find a way to use the wired broadband deca(ethernet from router
plugged in and coax from 8-way splitter(green label) plugged in probably the best
situation if you plan to have all these devices on ethernet connecting to the internet
Posted Image
get 3 decas off ebay but plug the ethernet from the deca into a switch(in the places you want
to connect other devices via ethernet than just the box) and then plug another ethernet in the
switch and into your directv box and then connect the rest of your devices

you leave the hr24 alone because of the built-in-deca

picture of deca:
Posted Image
everything listed here can be had for around $50 on ebay if you use the wired
broadband deca or a little more if you get the wireless-cck
please correct me if i'm wrong or further simplify it for him,
but i really don't see him connected all these wired devices to his
deca cloud and than just using a wireless-cck to get back to the router (whether directv installs it or not)

I have a SWM8 outside (not green label) with 5 open ports. The power inserter is with my HR24, yes. Neither are very close to the router in the house, which is capable of b/g/n wireless. I have a wired DECA and a green label 2-way splitter on hand that was ordered several weeks ago to attempt this on my own.....

#35 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a SWM8 outside (not green label) with 5 open ports. The power inserter is with my HR24, yes. Neither are very close to the router in the house, which is capable of b/g/n wireless. I have a wired DECA and a green label 2-way splitter on hand that was ordered several weeks ago to attempt this on my own.....

What DECA of those 3 pics do you have?

#36 OFFLINE   jedorf

jedorf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

What DECA of those 3 pics do you have?

Last, bottom picture....the white DECA box.

#37 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Dang Dorf, is that you, why didn't you just call/text me. I can get you up and running if you still need help. I wired Carlson's whole house for this stuff after his fire, I'm sure I can get you up and running.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#38 OFFLINE   jedorf

jedorf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Dang Dorf, is that you, why didn't you just call/text me. I can get you up and running if you still need help. I wired Carlson's whole house for this stuff after his fire, I'm sure I can get you up and running.

Text sent! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...