Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-200 Issues

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I seem to be having some issues with my HR21-200 lately, I have had to red button reset at least 4 times in the last 7-10 days because its freezing at the guide, getting stuck on menu's, the pictures keeps "Freezing/skipping" (not pixelating). Right now i tried to get the "settings" but it froze after i pressed menu and now the screen is black except in the top left corner where the show i am watching is in a small window. I am not sure if its the latest HD Guide update or this box is starting to die....any thoughts would be appreciated.

also I have checked the signal strengths and I have another box that is working fine

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I know of three possible causes that can manifest in that manner:

1) failing HDD
2) failing powersupply
3) bad OS download

There might be more. My advice would be to first force a new OS download with the 02468 code (actual instructions can be searched for in this forum) as that is the least invasive and easiest to do.

You could also connect an external drive and see if it performs the same way (once you have eliminated #3 as a cause) and this will tell you if the HDD is the culprit. Or you could replace the HDD to determine that.

Usually but not always domed or leaking filter caps in the PS are an indication that it is failing or is at least putting out dirty DC power; you could check for those.

But the easiest thing to do after doing #3 is to just get the darned thing replaced by DTV.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

.........But the easiest thing to do after doing #3 is to just get the darned thing replaced by DTV.

Yes, what he said. Call D* and get the box replaced.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#4 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yes, what he said. Call D* and get the box replaced.

That will extend my contract...correct?

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

No, replacing a defective receiver does not extend or start a new contract. You may have to pay $20 shipping if you don't have the protetion plan.

However, if you decide to upgrade the HR21 to a HR34, or replace it with an H2x HD Receiver then you would be making a change, not replacing a defective receiver, and that would require a 2 year contract extension.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

That will extend my contract...correct?

No, replacing a defective receiver does not extend or start a new contract. You may have to pay $20 shipping if you don't have the protetion plan.

However, if you decide to upgrade the HR21 to a HR34, or replace it with an H2x HD Receiver then you would be making a change, not replacing a defective receiver, and that would require a 2 year contract extension.

What he said is true. My two defective HR22s were replaced without a contract extention. I was fortunate to have them replaced with new HR24-100s. Have a great day!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#7 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the advice, called yesterday and confirmed what you all told me about the defective returns, but its not considered defective until is stops working or i get an error code that indicates its defective. So I guess i will just wait for it to stop working.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the advice, called yesterday and confirmed what you all told me about the defective returns, but its not considered defective until is stops working or i get an error code that indicates its defective. So I guess i will just wait for it to stop working.

Not considered defective? I wouldn't accept that as an answer. Way I see it, you've got two quick choices. Put an external HDD on it, that should solve your problems or get back on the phone and be more persistent. Call and call and call again, be polite and persistent, until you get your problem resolved. After a few calls, you'll be routed to the Case Management Group and they'll get it fixed for you. Don't want all that aggravation?...Put an external drive on the 200.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Not considered defective? I wouldn't accept that as an answer. Way I see it, you've got two quick choices. Put an external HDD on it, that should solve your problems or get back on the phone and be more persistent. Call and call and call again, be polite and persistent, until you get your problem resolved. After a few calls, you'll be routed to the Case Management Group and they'll get it fixed for you. Don't want all that aggravation?...Put an external drive on the 200.

Rich

yeah I am sure i could be more persistent, but I am going to make some changes adding another box & whole home DVR soon, so i will just do it all in one call, instead of one about a defective box, then another later for new equipment. I am not in a contract so they are willing to do a bunch of stuff for free to get me into a contract. So i need to figure out what is best to do.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

wow..those tests revealed a whole bunch of Fail :eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

wow..those tests revealed a whole bunch of Fail :eek2:

Back to those two choices again.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Update....So I called to get this deal sorted out since the Box is getting worse, not surprised to get different answers this time, the first lady says oh we just send you a new box, I said really? will I then be in a contract? Her Reply Yes, any new equipment puts you in a contract, So I politely ask her to check if that is the case even with defective equipment, she then tells me she has no idea but will transfer me to "Tech Support" (at this point i wonder how many times she has sent someone a new Box & extended there contract w/o telling them)

Anyway, I tell him the story he tells me they need to send someone out to test it ($49.99) I told him I ran diagnostics & they failed, he was pretty adamant about having to send someone out instead of taking my word for it, I told him I would need to think about it.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Update....So I called to get this deal sorted out since the Box is getting worse, not surprised to get different answers this time, the first lady says oh we just send you a new box, I said really? will I then be in a contract? Her Reply Yes, any new equipment puts you in a contract, So I politely ask her to check if that is the case even with defective equipment, she then tells me she has no idea but will transfer me to "Tech Support" (at this point i wonder how many times she has sent someone a new Box & extended there contract w/o telling them)

Anyway, I tell him the story he tells me they need to send someone out to test it ($49.99) I told him I ran diagnostics & they failed, he was pretty adamant about having to send someone out instead of taking my word for it, I told him I would need to think about it.

You really have to keep calling. Sooner or later, you'll find someone that will help you. A service call is ridiculous.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

I have had to replace 3 hr-21's in the last 2 months due to the box not responding to the remote. Is this a known problem, or anything else i can try before calling again. I have reset box, used other remotes, getting very frustrated.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I have had to replace 3 hr-21's in the last 2 months due to the box not responding to the remote. Is this a known problem, or anything else i can try before calling again. I have reset box, used other remotes, getting very frustrated.

HR21-xxx? Yes, it does make a difference. Have you got the Power Saver option "on"?

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

HR21-xxx? Yes, it does make a difference. Have you got the Power Saver option "on"?

Rich

HR21-100. No, power saver is off.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

HR21-100. No, power saver is off.

Were they all 21-100s? I know D* will usually send you the same model as a replacement if they can. Makes you unable to argue with their "equal to or better than" statements.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Were they all 21-100s? I know D* will usually send you the same model as a replacement if they can. Makes you unable to argue with their "equal to or better than" statements.

Rich

Yes, they were all hr-21-100's. You have to put the remote up against the eye to get the box to respond.

#20 OFFLINE   sabrewulf

sabrewulf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I have the HR 24/500 model and lately when i watch a movie or show that i recorded then after i watch it i delete it it freezes and i have to unplug it cause the receiver is locked up. Just started doing that. Twice so far.

Edited by sabrewulf, 26 March 2012 - 04:24 PM.

spam firewall