Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-200 Issues

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yes, they were all hr-21-100's. You have to put the remote up against the eye to get the box to respond.

Were you using the same remote with each one? I see in one of your prior posts that you did try other remotes. If I've read everything correctly, you have had four 21-100s that have had the same issue, is that correct? And you've tried different remotes with new batteries in them and got the same results?

Sorry to drag this out, but I've had similar experiences with the replacements D* sends out and I want to make sure we all understand exactly what is going on with your replacements.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have the HR 24/500 model and lately when i watch a movie or show that i recorded then after i watch it i delete it it freezes and i have to unplug it cause the receiver is locked up. Just started doing that. Twice so far.

I'd wait for the next NR and if you still have those problems I'd call for a replacement. Don't get too worked up about it until then. I went thru the same thing daily until the last NR on my main 24-500.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:35 AM

Were you using the same remote with each one? I see in one of your prior posts that you did try other remotes. If I've read everything correctly, you have had four 21-100s that have had the same issue, is that correct? And you've tried different remotes with new batteries in them and got the same results?

Sorry to drag this out, but I've had similar experiences with the replacements D* sends out and I want to make sure we all understand exactly what is going on with your replacements.

Rich

Yes, different remotes,fresh batteries,everything
I'm ready to throw it off the roof.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Yes, different remotes,fresh batteries,everything
I'm ready to throw it off the roof.

And you don't have the Protection Plan or you would have been referred to the Case Management Group by now.

I'd suggest calling Retention and telling them what you're going thru. If the Retention CSR doesn't satisfy you ask to speak to a supervisor. If you're not satisfied, wait a bit and call Retention again and keep repeating those calls until you get someone who will help you.

While your problems might seem unbelievable to some, I've gone thru the same thing.

Have you tried the remotes in both RF and IR?

Running out of suggestions.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

And you don't have the Protection Plan or you would have been referred to the Case Management Group by now.

I'd suggest calling Retention and telling them what you're going thru. If the Retention CSR doesn't satisfy you ask to speak to a supervisor. If you're not satisfied, wait a bit and call Retention again and keep repeating those calls until you get someone who will help you.

While your problems might seem unbelievable to some, I've gone thru the same thing.

Have you tried the remotes in both RF and IR?

Running out of suggestions.

Rich

Took your advise Rich,explained that i have had four boxes in a short period of time, retention gave me a new hddvr for free and free shipping. Cost me a new 24 month comm. Helps i've been w/ DTV for 12 yrs. Thank you for your help.

#26 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

i'm Glad your getting a "new" Box sent to you- With all due respect- when an account has had "4 boxes in a short amount of time" D*'s Policy is to require a Tech visit to make sure your total system is up to par and not a factor in your receiver issue.

That may be why they suggested a tech visit early on.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Took your advise Rich,explained that i have had four boxes in a short period of time, retention gave me a new hddvr for free and free shipping. Cost me a new 24 month comm. Helps i've been w/ DTV for 12 yrs. Thank you for your help.

Shouldn't have to get a new commitment because you have had bad HRs. I'd wait and see if you do get a 24. Then you should decide if you want to fight the commitment. They are supposed to replace defective receivers at no cost or no add on to a commitment. But wait and see what you get before you tackle the commitment issue.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

i'm Glad your getting a "new" Box sent to you- With all due respect- when an account has had "4 boxes in a short amount of time" D*'s Policy is to require a Tech visit to make sure your total system is up to par and not a factor in your receiver issue.

That may be why they suggested a tech visit early on.

Could his issue be caused by his "system"? When that's happened to me, it was always the receiver.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Could his issue be caused by his "system"? When that's happened to me, it was always the receiver.

Rich

Just saying-If you have not had a service visit (like ever) since your orginal install (That info is noted on your account service dates) -They D* preferto schedule a service visit to be sure and to keep you (the customer) from having to call back again and again. That may or may not be a Receiver fault and the warehouse doesn't end up with a pile of possible good receivers :)

He noted that he has had 4 receivers in a short time- That is why the service visit was suggested early on.

They don't like to keep sending boxes to the same address every month or so without looking for other issue's that might be the root cause.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Just saying-If you have not had a service visit (like ever) since your orginal install (That info is noted on your account service dates) -They D* preferto schedule a service visit to be sure and to keep you (the customer) from having to call back again and again. That may or may not be a Receiver fault and the warehouse doesn't end up with a pile of possible good receivers :)

He noted that he has had 4 receivers in a short time- That is why the service visit was suggested early on.

They don't like to keep sending boxes to the same address every month or so without looking for other issue's that might be the root cause.

I understand what you've written and have no problem with that. I just can't understand how his problem could be caused by anything but a bad HR. In my area we have one person that I'd call a technician, the rest (that I've met) are installers and seem to know little about HRs.

But then, I've had some terrible problems with installers. They just can't live on what they're paid in my area, so there is a constant churn problem.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I understand what you've written and have no problem with that. I just can't understand how his problem could be caused by anything but a bad HR. In my area we have one person that I'd call a technician, the rest (that I've met) are installers and seem to know little about HRs.

But then, I've had some terrible problems with installers. They just can't live on what they're paid in my area, so there is a constant churn problem.

Rich

The installer / Service Tech issue is true in many area's - However - When On a service call- The "tech" Will check Signals & re-align from the dish-All outside connections-Cut & Replace- And then SWAP THE BOX- Those things are done because once the tech touches your system-HE OWNS IT FOR 90 DAYS- meaning anyone else that visits in that time frame he gets deducted 50% of the service call. ( that is the main cause of churn) -After all that is done and the customer calls in with a defective remote or the refurb replacement receiver craps out--DING! DING! DING!. Deduct

That policy is to ensure that the customers Total System has been "Looked at" and the result would be at least 50% no recall result.

I'm just explaining why they wanted to dispatch for a service call - the TECH will replace the box ( most likely) with any receiver model the customer my ask for if it's on the truck- Rather than getting a Pot Luck unit mailed to them.

The $49 Charge can waived -If the customer
1.Has not ever had a service call (long Time)
2.CRYS -really good tears
3. Continue's to cry and ask for retention :)

I'm still very happy he got one mailed to him!
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#32 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Shouldn't have to get a new commitment because you have had bad HRs. I'd wait and see if you do get a 24. Then you should decide if you want to fight the commitment. They are supposed to replace defective receivers at no cost or no add on to a commitment. But wait and see what you get before you tackle the commitment issue.

Rich

I asked why my comm. was extended and they said it was because i was receiving a new unit. I had mvr installed a few months ago,no problems with my HR20-100 in the living room, just the HR21 in the bedroom. It's been three 21's i've been through. Who would i call to fight the extension, retention or first line csr?

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I asked why my comm. was extended and they said it was because i was receiving a new unit. I had mvr installed a few months ago,no problems with my HR20-100 in the living room, just the HR21 in the bedroom. It's been three 21's i've been through. Who would i call to fight the extension, retention or first line csr?

Oh, so they just extended your commitment? Even then, I'd fight it. Call the D* number and when the voice asks you what you want, say "Cancel my service." You'll be asked again. Reply "yes" and you'll be connected to Retention. Don't torture yourself with the first line CSRs. Make sure you get the "new" HR before you do anything.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

Oh, so they just extended your commitment? Even then, I'd fight it. Call the D* number and when the voice asks you what you want, say "Cancel my service." You'll be asked again. Reply "yes" and you'll be connected to Retention. Don't torture yourself with the first line CSRs. Make sure you get the "new" HR before you do anything.

Rich

Well, my "new box" turned out to be a HR-21-700. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a retention supervisor an finally got the 24 mo. extention removed
. I hope this one works.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

Bit the bullet....Tech coming out Saturday to trouble shoot the issue, of course they would have been more than happy to send me new box and get me into a 2 year commitment

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Well, my "new box" turned out to be a HR-21-700. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a retention supervisor an finally got the 24 mo. extention removed
. I hope this one works.

If it works, you'll find it very dependable. I think it's the best of the 21-23 HRs, still slower than the 20-700s and 24s.

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Turn off the Ambient Lite sensor on your HDTV or get an RF remote. Some HDTV 's known to cause IR interference and "blind" the remote. This is why it works when you put the remote right up to the HR21. Easy to prove. Turn off the TV. Press guide button on remote from your normal viewing spot in the room. When you turn the TV back on the guide will be there.
Slimline 5 SWM
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-100 :grin:
R22-100 :lol:
H25-500:hurah:

#38 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Turn off the Ambient Lite sensor on your HDTV or get an RF remote. Some HDTV 's known to cause IR interference and "blind" the remote. This is why it works when you put the remote right up to the HR21. Easy to prove. Turn off the TV. Press guide button on remote from your normal viewing spot in the room. When you turn the TV back on the guide will be there.

Thanks for the info. If i have a problem with this box i will try it.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info. If i have a problem with this box i will try it.

What kind of TV do you have?

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

What kind of TV do you have?

Rich

JVC LCD

spam firewall