Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-200 Issues

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,259 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

JVC LCD

Have you tried RF mode on the remote? LCDs apparently have this problem. Read so many posts about this I figure it's gotta be true. Try RF on your remote.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jtb50

jtb50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Have you tried RF mode on the remote? LCDs apparently have this problem. Read so many posts about this I figure it's gotta be true. Try RF on your remote.

Rich

Do i need an antenna for the back of the unit to go to RF?
T

#43 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,259 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Do i need an antenna for the back of the unit to go to RF?
T

The only HR that requires an antenna is the HR20-100. Try the RF mode, you'll like it. I don't have one HR (out of twelve) with a remote in IR mode.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   greenmachine

greenmachine

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have a problem with the HR21/200 Directv HD DVR having wavey lines with the Apricorn DVR Expander connected to the esata port when I am connected via component or composite to my TV or to a Panasonic DVD recorder set at 480p. When the DVR is connected directly to the TV via HDMI everything is fine.

Keep in mind that to record to a DVD recorder you have to set the Directv HD DVR to 480p.

I tried new cables on everything and called directv several times. I feel it has something to do with the 0x69e software update from Wednesday February 8th.

If you disconnect the esata cable from the receiver I have no interference in the picture. I am waiting for a Directv package with a replacement receiver today.

Yesterday I called Apricorn and I was told they stopped making the Expanders for Directv because they were having too many issues with Directv's firmware updates. Directv only gives out refurbished DVR's. So to get a bigger drive I probably need to buy a new DVR from somebody else.

#45 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,259 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have a problem with the HR21/200 Directv HD DVR having wavey lines with the Apricorn DVR Expander connected to the esata port when I am connected via component or composite to my TV or to a Panasonic DVD recorder set at 480p. When the DVR is connected directly to the TV via HDMI everything is fine.

Keep in mind that to record to a DVD recorder you have to set the Directv HD DVR to 480p.

I tried new cables on everything and called directv several times. I feel it has something to do with the 0x69e software update from Wednesday February 8th.

If you disconnect the esata cable from the receiver I have no interference in the picture. I am waiting for a Directv package with a replacement receiver today.

Yesterday I called Apricorn and I was told they stopped making the Expanders for Directv because they were having too many issues with Directv's firmware updates. Directv only gives out refurbished DVR's. So to get a bigger drive I probably need to buy a new DVR from somebody else.

Or go with a better external HDD setup. Good info on Apricorn. Thanx.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Your problem is a ground loop...it has nothing to do with firmware updates...check to make sure the Apricorn is plugged into the same power source as the DVR....this is electrical interference, plain and simple.

#47 OFFLINE   greenmachine

greenmachine

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Anyway to resolve my problem with the wavey lines when connecting from my Directv HD DVR to a Panasonic DVD recorder you now have to use a Sewell Component to composite downscaler. I am going from Component to S Video to the DVD recorder or you get wavey lines on the screen. This was after they did the software update in February. I tried S-Video from the DVR to the DVD recorder and I got the wavey lines. So this was the only resolution. The tech support at Directv does not tell you much. I figured this out myself. :)

#48 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Turn off the Ambient Lite sensor on your HDTV or get an RF remote. Some HDTV 's known to cause IR interference and "blind" the remote. This is why it works when you put the remote right up to the HR21. Easy to prove. Turn off the TV. Press guide button on remote from your normal viewing spot in the room. When you turn the TV back on the guide will be there.

Last time I heard it was things like Samsung AnyNet+ not an ambient light sensor. I could be wrong but I didn't know ambient light sensors emited any signal.

#49 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

I understand what you've written and have no problem with that. I just can't understand how his problem could be caused by anything but a bad HR. In my area we have one person that I'd call a technician, the rest (that I've met) are installers and seem to know little about HRs.

But then, I've had some terrible problems with installers. They just can't live on what they're paid in my area, so there is a constant churn problem.

Rich

BTW I had problems with a fluorescent light interfering with some remotes and not others in the same room.

OT:
I'm not sure how anybody, not just installers, can afford to live here in New Jersey.

I've doubled my Gasoline consumption due to the Construction on Green Brook Road closing the one stretch of GB Road.

I've dealt with Dishnetwork installers/techs
I called up from work after they replaced Moms roof, My brother oversaw the visit. I remember calling around 1:30Pm and being told they had a opening between Noon and 3Pm today, did I want it. I took it, the Tech was there before 3PM and Mom was watching Jeopardy and Wheel That night after missing one day due to rotted wood needing to be replaced on the roof extending the job to two days.
I've dealt with them myself on changes to equipment when they changed Mom to a Eastern Arc setup from a split arc. and a couple of other things in the past. We seem to get mostly DNSP techs. They have whatever they need on the truck. They've never failed to repair or upgrade properly. That poor little dish went from a 300 to a 500 to 500 + 61.5 to a Split arc to eastern arc. Guess who gets to deal with it? Yup me.

I guess I'm surprised that Dishnetwork techs are good and DirecTV tech are bad in the same heavily populated area. If this isn't a prime area for D* since they have Yes and E* doesn't how does E* manage to out perform them for installs and service?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#50 OFFLINE   leesburgbob

leesburgbob

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

STOP!
Don't pay for a tech visit! (Unless you think there is something wrong with the wiring in your house or your dish set up).
Don't let them put you in a contract!

Tell them you wish to cancel. That used to equate to whatever you want and a free Sunday Ticket. Now it just will get you what you want (times are rough for DirecTV)

I was a DirecTV customer for years - in fact, I know some of the people who write their "scripts" and do the training for the customer reps. They were very specific about what to do when the customer says "x." If you threaten to quit, however, then that used to automatically bump you to the next tier where they had more leeway.

Of course this all goes in your file, so you can't keep threatening to get something free (although I never paid for a service call, shipping for a replacement box, or extend my original contract). But, I don't get offered the NFL SUnday Ticket for free just to make me happy anymore.

Stop letting DirecTV charge you for their horrible software, service, equipment, etc. There's too much competition here - and even the possibility to walk away completely and go to Netflix/Roku/youtube.

Bit the bullet....Tech coming out Saturday to trouble shoot the issue, of course they would have been more than happy to send me new box and get me into a 2 year commitment

#51 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

STOP!
Don't pay for a tech visit! (Unless you think there is something wrong with the wiring in your house or your dish set up).
Don't let them put you in a contract!

Tell them you wish to cancel. That used to equate to whatever you want and a free Sunday Ticket. Now it just will get you what you want (times are rough for DirecTV)

I was a DirecTV customer for years - in fact, I know some of the people who write their "scripts" and do the training for the customer reps. They were very specific about what to do when the customer says "x." If you threaten to quit, however, then that used to automatically bump you to the next tier where they had more leeway.

Of course this all goes in your file, so you can't keep threatening to get something free (although I never paid for a service call, shipping for a replacement box, or extend my original contract). But, I don't get offered the NFL SUnday Ticket for free just to make me happy anymore.

Stop letting DirecTV charge you for their horrible software, service, equipment, etc. There's too much competition here - and even the possibility to walk away completely and go to Netflix/Roku/youtube.

Thanks....Directv waived the charge for the tech to come out, he replaced the LNB & re-aligned the dish, so we will see if that helps.

#52 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,259 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

BTW I had problems with a fluorescent light interfering with some remotes and not others in the same room.

A fluorescent tube? We had all kinds of problems with them. Please tell me it wasn't a CFL.

OT:
I'm not sure how anybody, not just installers, can afford to live here in New Jersey.

We're getting pretty close to moving. Our property taxes are getting ridiculous and they are nowhere near places like Hillsboro. We used to be appalled at what folks paid in Hillsboro and we're now at that level. Hillsboro just keeps raising their property taxes and other towns seem to be trying to catch up to them.

I've doubled my Gasoline consumption due to the Construction on Green Brook Road closing the one stretch of GB Road.

Huh. I got caught on GB Road the other day, didn't know it was closed. They're building a levee to stop the brook from overrunning it's banks. Finally.

I've dealt with Dishnetwork installers/techs
I called up from work after they replaced Moms roof, My brother oversaw the visit. I remember calling around 1:30Pm and being told they had a opening between Noon and 3Pm today, did I want it. I took it, the Tech was there before 3PM and Mom was watching Jeopardy and Wheel That night after missing one day due to rotted wood needing to be replaced on the roof extending the job to two days.
I've dealt with them myself on changes to equipment when they changed Mom to a Eastern Arc setup from a split arc. and a couple of other things in the past. We seem to get mostly DNSP techs. They have whatever they need on the truck. They've never failed to repair or upgrade properly. That poor little dish went from a 300 to a 500 to 500 + 61.5 to a Split arc to eastern arc. Guess who gets to deal with it? Yup me.

I guess I'm surprised that Dishnetwork techs are good and DirecTV tech are bad in the same heavily populated area. If this isn't a prime area for D* since they have Yes and E* doesn't how does E* manage to out perform them for installs and service?

The one Tech I know of is quite good. The other Tech moved to another state. All the rest were installers and most were poorly trained or just didn't pay attention to the training. All the installers have told me the same story, can't live on what they pay. A lot of them are from Staten Island (we are just a short ride and a trip over a bridge from Staten Island), and I think that explains their inability to live on what they make. For those of you that don't understand, Staten Island is part of NYC and is an expensive place to live.

Not that Jersey is an inexpensive place to live, I'm just comparing it to NYC, which is outrageously expensive. I don't see how a guy with a family makes it here on a salary in the 30 or 40 thousand dollar range.

There must be a radical difference between what D* pays and what Dish pays their installers or techs or you'd be seeing the same churn rate. I think. I've had no experience with Dish at all, this is all conjecture.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

the Box they replaced in April died last night, would get passed the "running receiver self check" called Directv thy are sending out a replacement so annoying this happened on a Friday night. (I will say that is the one thing about Comcast I miss, I could always just drive to an office & pick up a new box)

spam firewall