Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New DIRECTV Ku Band Sat @79W

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

The attachment is the DIRECTV FCC filing.

I will leave it to the experts to make sense out of this.

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

They're aiming this (I gather from the narrative) MOSTLY at Mexico and Puerto Rico, with the secondary goal of increasing specialty programming in the targeted areas. Note the wording on page 3:

And fourth, by providing an attractive platform for niche programming in HD format (e.g., international, foreign language, minority-focused), DIRECTV will greatly increase the incentive programmers have to produce HD programming that might be of particular appeal to audiences underserved by existing HD fare.

What kind of line-of-sight problems would there be for a 79W slot from the western US?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

What kind of line-of-sight problems would there be for a 79W slot from the western US?

Elevation looks a bit low here: 27.8°
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

If you look later in the document it also shows an uplink from Mexico, so Hispanic content seems like a given.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

While I can't speak for how practical a dish/LNB arrangement would be for DLA and Sky Mexico at 79W. I don't see how 79W really serves DIRECTV USA with its core HD at 99 and 103W without a separate wing dish.

Possibly re-task the 72.5W flexport on an external multiswitch module?

Anyway, going to Ku/FSS with linear polarization over at 79W for future HD programming seems so counter to DIRECTV's current direction, for CONUS programming anyhow, I'm really surprised by this LOA application.

#6 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Anyway, going to Ku/FSS with linear polarization over at 79W for future HD programming seems so counter to DIRECTV's current direction, for CONUS programming anyhow, I'm really surprised by this LOA application.

Yeah, that was my general feeling, too: why? Unless it's primarily for Mexico/Central America, with the CONUS/Puerto Rico stuff just thrown in as a "kind of what-the-hell/why not?" Or alternately, the whole thing is just trade-bait for another provider: get the license, then sell/lease the capacity - a possibility noted in the body of the application, actually.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Last sentence on page two says they need it to enhance capabilities of their current satellite serving Mexico.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Last sentence on page two says they need it to enhance capabilities of their current satellite serving Mexico.

And/or it's saying the present use of an FSS/Ku band satellite for the SKY Mexico service will "ease the transition" to the use of an additional one in DIRECTV KU-97W.

From the end of p. 2

... The need for additional capacity is especially acute in Mexico, where the existing use of a Ku-band satellite would ease the transition to the use of an additional Ku-band satellite.

I suppose the "existing" Ku-band satellite (actually "satellites") are Ku-band payloads aboard Intelsat 9 and 16 where Sky Mexico programming is relayed from.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Dont know for sure. I can think of one perfect use for a KU satellite outside of the normal DirecTv orbital group, and that would be if DirecTv actually thinks 3D HD programming is going to expand and take off above and beyond the current handful of channels, they could dedicate the satellite there now, while there are relatively few 3D customers, and allow them to roll out all new 3D capable installations with a wing dish for that satellite, freeing up valuable HD space on the KA fleet.

Id still bet it is going to just be used for outside the US programming. Their Latin American services seem to be doing very well, financially.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Elevation looks a bit low here: 27.8°

Which is better than when Dish only had HD from a satellite at 61.5º. A Sears near here had a dish on the roof which could see it, but I doubt there were many customers who had LOS.

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

I had a dish aimed at 72.5 for awhile, but it was really low. I seriously doubt the average customer on the west coast would be able to get line of sight.

#12 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Some, but it will be a big enough problem to aim from every customers home where I live. I hope this is for Mexico.

#13 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Some, but it will be a big enough problem to aim from every customers home where I live. I hope this is for Mexico.

Plus throwing up a second dish for whoever wants what's on that bird, completely redesigning the SWM modules (And having to come up with something to combine the signal from the 79 LNB and SWM LNB).

spam firewall