Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching the first great scripted series about technology (The Good Wife)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

A few years ago we began to understnd that when a show we like is moved from another week day to Friday, it's as if a beloved friend or relative has been moved to a hospice.

Only recently did we begin to realize that when a show we like is moved from a non-Friday week day to Sunday, it's as if somebody sent our puppy out to play in heavy traffic. It is one of these shows that a New Yorker Magazine review calls "the first great series about technology."

Here's what the reviewer specifically noted:

What has received less notice than the show’s complexity and its bold female characters is its unprecedented emphasis on technology. This season alone, Lockhart Gardner took a case involving the online currency bitcoin; used Twitter to upend British libel laws; handled a military case involving drone warfare; litigated crimes featuring violent video games and a “date rape” app; and dealt with various leaked-image disasters (a corporation fighting a viral video, an Anthony Weiner-like dirty photograph). In one dizzyingly self-reflective story line, a Zuckerbergian entrepreneur sued a Sorkinesque screenwriter; the episode had a confident structural wit, subjecting a writer who defended distorted portrayals to his own distorted portrayal. Over time, such plots have become a dense, provocative dialectic, one that weighs technology’s freedoms against its dangers, with a global sweep and an insider’s nuance. In this quality, “The Good Wife” stands in contrast not merely to other legal shows, with their “The Internet killed him!” plots, but also to the reductive punditry of the mainstream media, so obsessed with whether Twitter is making us stupid. Put bluntly, “The Good Wife” is to the digital debate as “The Wire” is to the drug war.

Of the four Sundays of the Nielson February 2012 Sweeps period, only one new episode of "The Good Wife" was aired in an attempt to keep it from getting killed in the heavy traffic of "The Super Bowl", "The Grammy's" and "The Academy Awards." And for the first half of the 2011-12 season, it was up against "Sunday Night Football" (one week also against "The World Series").

Like every series, not every episode is great. But many potential fans didn't watch the show from the beginning. As noted in the review:

...If you’d never watched, you might think it was an escapist soap opera like “L.A. Law.” But to fans it quickly became clear that “The Good Wife” ’s conventions concealed strange depths. Early on, some critics playfully called the series “The Wire Lite,” an outrageous-sounding comparison that rang true. The narrative was crosshatched with mini-narratives, requiring a network audience to pay close attention—something generally demanded only of cable viewers. Unlike “Law & Order,” which glamorized prosecutors, “The Good Wife” took a jaundiced view of all institutions, from Alicia’s firm, Lockhart Gardner, to marriage itself. Alicia’s choices—would she have an affair? get promoted?—were contingent, shadowed by power plays. She might be our heroine, yet her liberation and her corruption work in lockstep. In the first season, she traded on her husband’s connections to beat out a colleague for a promotion. This season, the show’s third, she helped conceal a forged document and slept with her boss. As the series’ title implies, Alicia tries to be good. But switch perspectives and she seems as shady as anyone in her favor-trading city.

This fall CBS moved the show from Tuesday at 10:00, where it had been for two years, to Sunday at 9:00 where basically it is struggling for a demo audience though it has about 40% of the 50+ audience when it isn't being run over by a truck. I think that change prevented the show from gaining some ratings and lost CBS ratings on Tuesday at 10:00.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

I watched the pilot episode, thought it sucked and cancelled the SL.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

I am enjoying the show. It is very well written and like all new shows usually takes a few episodes to get its feet wet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

All this writing about this show but, no one wrote the name of the show .

#5 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

I've been a fan of "The Good Wife" since the series began, great acting, excellent writing! Hope it will survive the Sunday time slot.

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

All this writing about this show but, no one wrote the name of the show .

It is mentioned in the first quote that Phrelin posted and Phrelin mentions it as well below that quote.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,573 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I've been a fan of "The Good Wife" since the series began, great acting, excellent writing! Hope it will survive the Sunday time slot.

+1. Wife and I both enjoy it.
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

+1 Great show! Cast, writing, storyline all top drawer. Even gets a solid 8.1 on IMDB.

Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi are HOT! HOT! HOT! J

Josh Charles (Sports Night) delivers the goods again. My weekly anticipation level approaches that of "24".

Big fan!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

BTW, I found author Emily Nussbaum's New Yorker article to be convoluted and not illustrative of the tv series at all. As far as the "technology" aspect of the program, not so much IMO. Yes, it's quite often the subject of the court cases, but you seldom see a button, flashing LED or digital display. It's about people, intrigue and sex, not so much the tech stuff.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

It is mentioned in the first quote that Phrelin posted and Phrelin mentions it as well below that quote.

- Merg

Except everyone has been writing about it as if it's a new show. :scratchin

Did I simply imagine it was on the last 2-3 years?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I love when Alicia clashes with Peter's mother!

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,193 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Except everyone has been writing about it as if it's a new show. :scratchin

Did I simply imagine it was on the last 2-3 years?

Sept. 2009.. was when the first ep aired.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

What has received less notice than the show’s complexity and its bold female characters is its unprecedented emphasis on technology.

I assume the reviewer meant that it's unprecedented for a show that's not considered "sci-fi," since I'm sure there are a number of sci-fi examples -- even only considering prime-time dramas that aired on broadcast networks, "Max Headroom" is what first comes to mind, and that was over 25 years ago.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I assume the reviewer meant that it's unprecedented for a show that's not considered "sci-fi," since I'm sure there are a number of sci-fi examples -- even only considering prime-time dramas that aired on broadcast networks, "Max Headroom" is what first comes to mind, and that was over 25 years ago.

Yep. The reviewer is saying that technology issues are emphasized in what basically would be considered a legal soap. And that not only has included complex courtroom arguments but also placing "computer" technology within the daily lives of the attorneys and staff and Alicia's kids in a way that really hasn't been done - it's there, integrated without "comment", people use it, Alicia's teen son cleans up his mom's computer glitches, the daughter is involved in the online world, etc., all not considered anything special, except maybe by grandma.

It really has made the show more interesting for my wife and I who were pretty much immersed in making personal computers a useful part of the real world beginning in the 1980, and who now watch our grandkids take computers, tablets and smart phones for granted as a routine part of their lives.

In other words, it isn't science fiction, just part of life, like a car or microwave oven. It isn't like the "CSI" kind of stuff, where they show all this cool equipment, most of which virtually no police agency in California has access to even though it probably exists. In "The Good Wife" it has become just a part of the courtroom activity, people arguing over some pretty interesting technology issues which are seemingly current.

And for the record the show is in its third season, but struggling for ratings because of CBS moving it to Sunday at 9:00.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

- Merg

The only name that I pick up on is a show called The Good Wife.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,193 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

And that is the subject: The Good Wife
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Must be an acquired taste. My Aunt and Uncle enjoy it. I tried a few episodes with them, but found myself drifting off. Could be a generation thing as well.

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

And that is the subject: The Good Wife

SeaBeagle.... I am in the same boat as you.

I read the OP 4 times, looking for the title...

Because frankly, from all the commercials that I have seen for the The Good Wife, I would NEVER have connected it to technology, which was in my head from the title of the subject.

As for the show, from when we watched the first 3 or 4 episodes... we nuked it as we just couldn't get into it and just didn't like any of the characters... and how the show was sold... it should have been a great match for our viewing likes.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

The title of the show had me thinking of The Starter Wife ...
I don't watch enough on CBS (other than Craig Furguson) to see promos for their shows.

#20 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

SeaBeagle.... I am in the same boat as you.

I read the OP 4 times, looking for the title...

Because frankly, from all the commercials that I have seen for the The Good Wife, I would NEVER have connected it to technology, which was in my head from the title of the subject.

As for the show, from when we watched the first 3 or 4 episodes... we nuked it as we just couldn't get into it and just didn't like any of the characters... and how the show was sold... it should have been a great match for our viewing likes.

The good wife to me seems like one of those regular TV shows. Nothing in the title about technology.

What is happening here is either one or more of the actors are plugging their show here or one or more of the directors knowing this is a technology forum is doing the same,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...