Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching the first great scripted series about technology (The Good Wife)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

The good wife to me seems like one of those regular TV shows. Nothing in the title about technology.

What is happening here is either one or more of the actors are plugging their show here or one or more of the directors knowing this is a technology forum is doing the same,

Evidence? Something more than the handful of posts in this thread??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

The good wife to me seems like one of those regular TV shows. Nothing in the title about technology.

What is happening here is either one or more of the actors are plugging their show here or one or more of the directors knowing this is a technology forum is doing the same,

I wish that were true! ;)

The reviewer states "The Good Wife" has presented a series of stories providing "a dense, provocative dialectic, one that weighs technology’s freedoms against its dangers, with a global sweep and an insider’s nuance." And yet, none of the regular characters are caricatured "nerds" or "geeks" in the traditional sense.

By bringing this up here, I'm just pointing out that what is probably the first series on broadcast TV to deal seriously with...
  • the economic and legal implications of online currency,
  • Twitter and British libel laws,
  • Internet technology and the Arab Spring,
  • drone warfare and the military law context implications for drone operators of instant decision-making regarding life and death,
  • violent video games and criminal law,
  • the economic, personal and social impacts of leaked video images,
  • a story of an extremely successful social web site "founder" (think Facebook) who sues over a screenwriter's less than flattering portrayal,
...may not be among the top ten shows watched by the technology crowd.

But I have to admire the reviewer's statement that should be noted with great significance:

Put bluntly, “The Good Wife” is to the digital debate as “The Wire” is to the drug war.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Law and Order seems to be good at the "ripped from the headlines" type of crimes ... and they have not done technology issues? Or do the reviewers not consider them a "serious" show?

#24 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Law and Order seems to be good at the "ripped from the headlines" type of crimes ... and they have not done technology issues? Or do the reviewers not consider them a "serious" show?

I agree. The way that I connected this as being a technology show is about a show that felt with news about computer/iPhone/iPad/iTunes/iPod and so on. I guess that is why in the adverts for the show did not seem all that interesting.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,297 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Last night's episode was totally routine legal soap in its various continuing story arcs and in the case of the week which was a lawsuit against a filmmaker whose documentary may have caused the suicide of a young woman. I'm really not pushing this show, but perhaps suggesting that there are some episodes that are worth streaming or watching reruns just because they were interesting.

I agree. The way that I connected this as being a technology show is about a show that felt with news about computer/iPhone/iPad/iTunes/iPod and so on. I guess that is why in the adverts for the show did not seem all that interesting.

My bringing this up here was simply to note that the show offered some really good episodes in terms of offering thoughtful debate on the social, political and economic implications of the somewhat unexpected worldwide use of 21st Century technology (something like the smart phone with video and Twitter). We shouldn't simply consider cool technology in the abstract, whether the iPad 3 is going to have a sharper picture.

This is one reviewer. And the crime procedurals haven't dealt with something quite as far removed from routine American life as internet technology, the Arab Spring, and the different life and death results facing the peers of the American 18-49 demo.

To me it is disappointing that the show's reach isn't wider. Last night was pretty typical since it moved to Sunday. It was #4 in the demo but #1 by a wide margin in its 9:00 time slot with the 50+ crowd.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall