Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6 Recievers still limit with Hoppers & Joey's on one account?

swim

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hevnbnd

hevnbnd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

We currently have 5 receivers a 922, 2x622s, 2x211 and I think dish will only let us have one more on our account. I was thinking of getting / keeping the following.

2 hoppers -3 joey's

Will the Joey's count toward my receiver count? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Dish will not allow VIP recv on a Hopper account.. It is either Hoppers or VIPs.. But not booth..

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Dish will not allow VIP recv on a Hopper account.. It is either Hoppers or VIPs.. But not booth..

And yet the wiring diagrams clearly show how Hoppers and ViPs can be connected to the same dish system.

I can see where such a "rule" would apply to a new customer install ... either whole house "Hopper" or the current method but a total ban?

#4 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I know it is not right.. Specially for the people that went out and bought a tail gater and a 211k.. Dish says you have to have a seperate account.. I would like to have 1 hopper and 2 joeys and keep my 922.. But thats not going to happen..

#5 OFFLINE   billyfury

billyfury

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I would like to have 1 hopper and 2 joeys and keep my 922..

I am curious why you want to keep the 922. I have had several replaced and all have had problems. I have been anxious to get rid of it. However noting they are no longer listed as an option for a receiver I dont want to be missing something I have not thought of.

billyfury

vip922, and vip722

#6 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

I have had the 922 for 2 years not a problem with it at all. I like the built in sling.. If I get 2 hoppers I will have to go and get another sling ad. That is the only reason..

#7 OFFLINE   rkklinke

rkklinke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

I just called to upgrade to the hopper and joey setup and since they only allow 2 hoppers and 4 joeys right now they are letting me keep my 2 722's. I currently have 3 622's and 2 722's. In the future they will allow me to have more joeys and hoppers but because of lack of supply they are limiting everyone. I believe down the road they will not let you upgrade without getting rid of the vip units.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I just called to upgrade to the hopper and joey setup and since they only allow 2 hoppers and 4 joeys right now they are letting me keep my 2 722's. I currently have 3 622's and 2 722's. In the future they will allow me to have more joeys and hoppers but because of lack of supply they are limiting everyone. I believe down the road they will not let you upgrade without getting rid of the vip units.

I'm surprised they let you do what you did ... and it is good to hear that you were able to have a mixed system. New customers are limited to 6 TVs on the DISH website, which is three duos or two hoppers, four joeys.

#9 OFFLINE   billyfury

billyfury

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

I just called to upgrade to the hopper and joey setup and since they only allow 2 hoppers and 4 joeys right now they are letting me keep my 2 722's.

Let us know when the system gets up and running mixing the hopper and VIP equipment on a single account. I wanted to keep my 922, insisted on that when I placed the order. During the installation the tech and his manager (who came because it was the first installation around here) added a third cable from the dish to the house to accomodate the 922. They knew just how to wire it with appropriate splitters etc. They even mentioned they had training on this. But when they called dish to activate the system the Dish rep could not do it on her computer. She even tried to do it on her end through chat. No go. The manager made some calls and related that the same issue happened at the local Frontier communications office when they tried to set up a bunch of hoppers in their showroom. Solution for them was to open a second account for Hoppers only.

billyfury

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

It's not going to happen. You will not be able to activate the Hopper System if any other receivers are on your account. Many installers have confirmed that, firm no exceptions.
Even if you knew how enough to do it yourself, Dish will not activate a receiver on an account with a Hopper system. I certainly don't know if that will change later, but they have been very upfront about that, it was a question asked and answered by Dish at CES.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

It's not going to happen. You will not be able to activate the Hopper System if any other receivers are on your account. Many installers have confirmed that, firm no exceptions.
Even if you knew how enough to do it yourself, Dish will not activate a receiver on an account with a Hopper system. I certainly don't know if that will change later, but they have been very upfront about that, it was a question asked and answered by Dish at CES.

Yep... it isn't a technical/compatibility issue... it is a marketing decision made to only have Hopper/Joey.

Will they relax later? Who knows. My guess is they are hoping to put these mostly in new homes first, rather than upgrades to existing customers... due to initial supply... and it sure looks like they would like to eliminate all the older receivers eventually and use this model going forward.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   hevnbnd

hevnbnd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Anyone know if they have lifted this dumb requirement yet? I will not be upgrading till they do. I for one have several VIPs that i OWN.

#13 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

The limit is 3 Hoppers and 9 Joeys. The limit for leased receivers is 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys (will have to buy third Hopper and/or Joey 5-9.) There is also a physical limitation of only 3 Joeys per Hopper (i.e. if you only get 1 Hopper, only 3 Joeys maximum.)

EDIT: Also ViP receivers are not allowed on the same account as Hopper/Joey. The only exception is a (purchased) 211k for tailgating.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 09 August 2012 - 06:29 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Anyone know if they have lifted this dumb requirement yet? I will not be upgrading till they do. I for one have several VIPs that i OWN.

Doubtful. I would not expect them to allow mixing of non-Hopper and Hopper equipment except in very special circumstances.

A single node requires 2 feeds from a switch, a dual node requires 3 feeds from a switch... there are limits to what you can feed even off of cascaded DPP44 switches once you bring Hoppers into the mix.

If you truly require the use of your existing ViP receivers, then you probably don't need Hopper/Joey anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Doubtful. I would not expect them to allow mixing of non-Hopper and Hopper equipment except in very special circumstances.

A single node requires 2 feeds from a switch, a dual node requires 3 feeds from a switch... there are limits to what you can feed even off of cascaded DPP44 switches once you bring Hoppers into the mix.

If you truly require the use of your existing ViP receivers, then you probably don't need Hopper/Joey anyway.

They should allow to use it with ViP922:
- as it very close model
- according to H2k's logs, the 922 can connect to H2k - would be interesting to see what functionality it support.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

They should allow to use it with ViP922:
- as it very close model
- according to H2k's logs, the 922 can connect to H2k - would be interesting to see what functionality it support.

Allowing the mixing of hardware means they have to support it, and any issues that arise. It is far easier (and thus less expensive) to support only homogeneous scenarios...

The 922 was also supposed to support a "Slingcatcher" or something that never materialized as well as a WiFi connected monitor. I don't expect those things to ever happen either.

#17 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

They should just throw the 922 interface onto the 722K (and maybe the older ones too if they can support it.) My only complaint about the 722K is the old interface compared to the competition. That way people that don't want to pay fees for Hopper/922 can at least still have a decent looking interface. Then again, costs $$$ and less incentive for people to upgrade receivers.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Allowing the mixing of hardware means they have to support it, and any issues that arise. It is far easier (and thus less expensive) to support only homogeneous scenarios...

The 922 was also supposed to support a "Slingcatcher" or something that never materialized as well as a WiFi connected monitor. I don't expect those things to ever happen either.

I'm pretty sure (and many would agree) this time MRV implementation with such buggy and overheating 'server' eg H2k is giving bad taste of the new technology and just shows how bad was marketing pitch of the new zoo's inhabitants.

Any small thing taking down the H2k does auto-magically kill all HDTV clients [Js]. Yes, the HDTV distribution was also the catch...

I'm more and more thinking to get back to 622 and 211s instead of the combination H/J.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Devil's advocate because I don't have personal experience...

But do we know there is a problem with Hoppers overheating? Or is it possible it is the same old problem with people putting receivers in places that are not well cooled/ventilated?

I know my 922 runs hot but I never had an overheating problem... never had one with any of my receivers.. and I'm right now in a house that doesn't have a functioning air conditioner... I've been suffering from the heat, but my Dish receivers have been chugging right along as if nothing happened to the air.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

You should touch 813's components inside - I would recommend you to be familiar with real overheating right after removing a cover... I can't hold my finger on capacitors (!) between tuners' can and CPU.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swim

Protected By... spam firewall...And...