Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6 Recievers still limit with Hoppers & Joey's on one account?

swim

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,535 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

You should touch 813's components inside - I would recommend you to be familiar with real overheating right after removing a cover... I can't hold my finger on capacitors (!) between tuners' can and CPU.

Being hot to the touch is not the same as overheating.

Many CPUs are designed to run hot for extended times... so they would burn you to the touch but it is within normal operation parameters.

I'm looking at my CPU temperature right now on my iMac, for instance, and it runs for extended periods at 120 degrees F... and that's ok... but I wouldn't want to touch that with my hands.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Being hot to the touch is not the same as overheating.

Capacitors ? Duh ? :D

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Capacitors ? Duh ? :D

What is the operating temperature range for the capacitors in the Hopper?

There are capacitors designed for harsher environments that work fine at a temperature I would not want to touch.

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,535 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

I know this is a general statement, and I'm mixing F with C now... but I found this general statement:

"The normal working range for most capacitors is -30°C to +125°C"

So again the statement remains that many components are designed to operate fine at temperatures high enough that I would not want to touch them when they are working.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

What is the operating temperature range for the capacitors in the Hopper?

There are capacitors designed for harsher environments that work fine at a temperature I would not want to touch.

The problem is how it changing the capacitance when the temp is rising and second - how long the capacitors will withstand ?
Just a couple notes: higher temp will reduce a life of the capacitors, electrolytic (I'm discussing only these) capacitors with temporary reduced (by high temp) capacitance will give more 'dirty' rail what will lead to lockups of CPU or other logic components.

Fingers or thermometers - doesn't matter: your device (DVR this time) will have unstable behavior.

#26 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Back on topic: I just had a 2 Hopper/4 Joey install done last week. I was considering a 2 Hopper/5 Joey configuration, but would have had to buy the 5th Joey for $125. I opted to not go that route, because the fifth Joey would have been used infrequently.
So, yes, you can now have 3 Joeys on a Hopper. This has been true for a few months now with recent firmware upgrade.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Back on topic: I just had a 2 Hopper/4 Joey install done last week. I was considering a 2 Hopper/5 Joey configuration, but would have had to buy the 5th Joey for $125. I opted to not go that route, because the fifth Joey would have been used infrequently.
So, yes, you can now have 3 Joeys on a Hopper. This has been true for a few months now with recent firmware upgrade.

So can the hopper stream 3 sessions as well as use a tuner or watch recorded content? Essentially can you use a hopper and 3 joeys while having all 4 rooms active with live or recorded programming as tuners permit?
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

If all four are watching live, two could be viewing the same program unless PTAT is recording in which case all four can be watching a live program but two would need to be on a Big Four local network. If you throw in recordings and streaming, it just opens what can be viewed

#29 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

If all four are watching live, two would be viewing the same program unless PTAT is recording in which case all four can be watching a live program but two would need to be on Big Four local network.

Thanks I wasn't aware that it would stream 3 and display one as well for a 4 room system.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks I wasn't aware that it would stream 3 and display one as well for a 4 room system.

Note that I edited my post to be clearer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swim

spam firewall