Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New RC-50 black remote for DRE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I ordered an RC50 remote so that I could evaluate it's IR performance with an H-25 receiver in a hotel situation. A mounting bracket can be ordered so that the receiver can be mounted behind the TV on the back of a cabinet or on the wall, or even on the back of the TV itself, using short screws of course. There is an IR feedthough cable available that can connect the H25 receiver with certain TVs that have an IR pass-through capability so that the remote can operate the Receiver without a line-of-sight, using the TV's IR eye.

When I first heard of the H-25 I seem to remember reading that it would have enhanced IR sensitivity for this situation(no direct line-of-sight), so the first thing I did was set up the receiver behind a box to see if the IR remote would work, and it did a fine job, though the room I tested it in is mostly white walls and ceiling. I noted that when the mounting bracket was designed some genius put a flange right in front of the IR eye of the receiver that obscures it about 50%, which might be a problem, and is obviously something they overlooked.

The remote I got didn't come with any instructions, so I don't know how to program it to operate the TV for volume and power. Holding down the "select" and "mute" buttons don't work like they do on the regular white remotes.
I spent a good deal of time today on the phone and internet looking for the instructions and the codes. No luck.
Anyone on here have the instructions? Are the codes the same as the codes that the white remotes use?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

IIRC there is software integration for the RC50 in the receiver. Try going through the menu options to program it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered putting the receiver in "hotel" mode to see if the menu instructions change.

#4 OFFLINE   mattwyman

mattwyman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Did it work, and can you provide instructions? I go to the menu and see no options for this. Am setting up for DRE, and the RC-50 remote does not control ANY of our Samsung or Panasonic Hospitality TV's, while the RC-65 does:(

#5 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

I still haven't tried to program the remote by setting the receiver in hotel mode.
Thanks for reminding me.
I have an install coming up that will require this functionality if I decide to use the black remotes.

#6 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Maybe it programs like the rc70x. Try holding down mute/enter together until the light flashes twice.

#7 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Maybe it programs like the rc70x. Try holding down mute/enter together until the light flashes twice.

As stated in the initial post, that technique doesn't work.

#8 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

As stated in the initial post, that technique doesn't work.

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with these remotes so I'm not sure how they operate. However, he said mute/enter, not mute/select.

#9 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I forgot that it has an enter button and assumed he meant the select button, but after reading your post I got the RC50 from my service van and took another look at it. I noticed a recessed button at the top-left like many programmable remotes have. I held it down and it resulted in the double-blink after 4 or 5 seconds of pressing. I then entered my TV code from my quick-reference card and it now will operate the volume and power of my TV set.

Problem solved. There's a zoomable picture of the remote on this page showing the recessed button:

https://www.perfect-...il.aspx?ID=5214

Edited by Floyd, 02 June 2012 - 09:27 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...