Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FOX: 'Alcatraz' & 'The Finder' Likely To Be Canceled, Does That Help 'Terra Nova'?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Every time a show brings on a baby it jumps the shark.

The Simpsons and Frasier say "Hi!" ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

We love Fringe, but it has probably run it's course. PLEASE, though, let them wrap it up correctly!

I've been assuming for a while now that EITHER Alcatraz or Terra Nova will be renewed, but not both. My wife and I watch Alc together, but I'm solo on TN. But I still think TN has the slightest edge.

Never seen or heard of The Finder.

#23 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

At least one actor from Tera Nova has been cast in a new pilot for next season. While not an absolute indicator, it does put doubt on the series coming back.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

At least one actor from Tera Nova has been cast in a new pilot for next season.

Not anyone in the main cast though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm hoping that Kiefer's new show bodes well for him. However I like for him to hurry up with that "24" movie. I like to see a spin off from "24" though (I just hope it's not going to be "Married With Cougar").

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

At least one actor from Tera Nova has been cast in a new pilot for next season. While not an absolute indicator, it does put doubt on the series coming back.

Many actors in current "bubble" shows audition for and get picked up in new shows and have a clause in the contract [with the new show] that lets them go back to the original show if that original show is renewed. The role in the new show is then recast if the pilot is picked up as a series...

So having an actor from Terra Nova appear in a pilot doesn't necessarily mean the end of Terra Nova, even if it's a principal actor. It just means the actor is smart and has a smart agent. ;)

Edited by Drew2k, 05 March 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Many actors in current "bubble" shows audition for and get picked up in new shows and have a clause in the contract [with the new show] that lets them go back to the original show if that original show is renewed. The role in the new show is then recast if the pilot is picked up as a series...

That exact thing happened with Damon Wayans Jr. He's on "Happy Endings" but that show didn't look like it was being picked up so he did the pilot for "New Girl". Once "Happy Endings" was picked up he was let out of his "New Girl" contract, but still showed up in the pilot episode.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

'Alcatraz' & 'The Finder' Likely To Be Canceled, Does That Help 'Terra Nova'?

No.
You can keep the change

#29 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

http://www.hollywood...pielberg-258808

Farewell Tarra Nova... :(

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#30 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

'Alcatraz' & 'The Finder' Likely To Be Canceled, Does That Help 'Terra Nova'?

No.

As you say, it didn't help Terra Nova at all. The spider song didn't help much either.:rolleyes:
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#31 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Well Finder looks cheap to produce. So is that a plus to get renewed?

And what are the chances SyFy picks up Terra Nova?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#32 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

There's a slim chance that some other network will buy Terra Nova ... but I doubt it. It's maybe only the overseas distribution deals that might allow another US channel to take it on, but it's still an expensive program.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

He could shop it to TNT maybe... since they have Falling Skies.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#34 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Alcatraz down to a 1.6 on 3/12.

"Likely To Be Canceled" has surely become "Dead In The Water"...

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

Alcatraz down to a 1.6 on 3/12.

"Likely To Be Canceled" has surely become "Dead In The Water"...

I wonder if it is coincidence that this was the episode that was supposed to air two weeks ago when pre-empted by NASCAR.

I posted in another forum how I wonder if viewers on the bubble might abandon a show like this once it was pre-empted and then episodes were aired out of order.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#36 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I wonder if it is coincidence that this was the episode that was supposed to air two weeks ago when pre-empted by NASCAR.

I posted in another forum how I wonder if viewers on the bubble might abandon a show like this once it was pre-empted and then episodes were aired out of order.

I'm sure the pre-emption didn't help, but it was doing very poorly in the ratings before that, so I expect it was not a crucial deciding factor. Unfortunate, since I really like it, but the number are what they are.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#37 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,227 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I started off trying to like Alcatraz (I'm a fan of Sam O'Neill), but it's been difficult. During the episodes, I find myself going to the bathroom, clipping my toenails, and doing other menial things that relieve me of my boredom.

The show just got slow and boring.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#38 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I started off trying to like Alcatraz (I'm a fan of Sam O'Neill), but it's been difficult. During the episodes, I find myself going to the bathroom, clipping my toenails, and doing other menial things that relieve me of my boredom.

It wouldnt be so bad if this wasnt the next Prison Break. They took way to long with Prison Break and they are doing the same with Alcatraz. Lets go through all 60+ inmates and then figure it out. I enjoy watching it but dont want to wait forever for it to get more interesting.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#39 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

+100

It has become a crime procedural -- in which I have no interest.

The sci-fi aspect has been almost completely lost as the season has progressed. It's there, but it's hardly addressed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...