Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has there ever been a surprise spin-off?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Trapper John?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

After MASH went 2 seasons without my ever noticing it. As a matter of fact, I just discovered it ever happened. There was even an episode called Klinger vs Klinger.

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Those were planned spin-offs, not surprises.

For the sake of this thread, let's say for some reason you had never seen the early episodes of M*A*S*H with McIntyre, but had only seen the later ones with Honeycutt. You would be probably unaware of the McIntyre character except for an occasional, casual reference. You start watching Trapper John, MD unaware that the character had been created on another show. As far as I know, there was little, if any reference to his time in Korea.

Once you found out the connection, would it change your perception of the Trapper John series?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#24 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Or what would happen if in the last few episodes of Babylon 5, some connection to Star Trek was made? Maybe that B5 was a precursor to a Federation outpost before the Federation was fully formed.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#25 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Oh ok, I get the game here.

#26 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

So Dr. Samuel Beckett in Quantum Leap is actually Jonathan Archer and Q is behind sending through time and space to solve all the injustices of his race?

#27 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

One of the all-time great TV moments, when Bob describes his strange dream to his wife... Emily!

That's the only example I can think of that comes close to what the OP is describing.

-- Roger

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

What about Phoebe's twin sister Ursula (both played by Lisa Kudrow) being the waitress on Mad About You?

#29 ONLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Maybe Kiefer Sutherland's character in Touch is really Jack Bauer in hiding? :D

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

One of the all-time great TV moments, when Bob describes his strange dream to his wife... Emily!

I forgot about that. If you choose to view that final scene as an in-joke to fans then it doesn't count... BUT if you choose to believe that whole series was a dream that Bob woke up from... then that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. It changes everything.

I can't believe I forgot that happened!

What about Phoebe's twin sister Ursula (both played by Lisa Kudrow) being the waitress on Mad About You?

That actually works too... and I forgot about that as well... it's not exactly what I was thinking in that it doesn't shatter worlds to find out those two shows have a "connection"... but it does open the door to things that otherwise weren't possible in terms of the stories explored on both shows.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#31 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Me too,

Comedy Genius

Bob Newhart rocks!!

Alive or dead?

#32 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

The first time I thought of this idea... was back when I saw Independence Day... and I thought, wouldn't it have been interesting to go the whole movie and not really show the aliens until the end and then have the surprise be that the aliens were familiar ones (like the Alien movie aliens for example)... then you would go back the next time and have a completely different idea of what was happening in the movie.

Not quite a spin-off story, but I understand that ID4 was originally planned to be the 2nd movie in a Stargate franchise, but the writers changed their mind. So what would have changed if there were a series of SG movies instead of a handful of TV series?

#33 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I forgot about that. If you choose to view that final scene as an in-joke to fans then it doesn't count... BUT if you choose to believe that whole series was a dream that Bob woke up from... then that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. It changes everything.

It makes a connection we never saw coming, but I'm not sure that it is what you were asking for as the revelation doesn't help us understand the events in the spin-off (or maybe it does :lol:), it doesn't continue the storylines or themes of the original, and there's no possibility of a cross-over.

Me too,

Comedy Genius

Bob Newhart rocks!!

Alive or dead?

Bob, alive. Suzanne and Mary, sadly not.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#34 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Of course the entire Newhart series was a dream! Only in a dream would you find characters like "Larry, Darrell and Darrell". :lol:
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...