Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on fix for my stuttering non supported MRV?

l716

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

So, after I turned on the non supported MRV, I replaced a hub with a switch, upgraded my internet speed and re-configured my wireless network. The video sharing is superb, but the audio is still stuttering.

Any other ideas out there on how to fix this? Thanks!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

So, after I turned on the non supported MRV, I replaced a hub with a switch, upgraded my internet speed and re-configured my wireless network. The video sharing is superb, but the audio is still stuttering.

Any other ideas out there on how to fix this? Thanks!

Maybe you could give a little more information on your setup. It's tough to get help without people knowing how you're hooked up.

#3 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

New wireless network (upgraded last friday) 2x faster than previous network

HR21-Pro with Airport Express to a new switch with one other device connected

HR23-700 with Airport Express clean connection - no switch or hub

HR20-100 with Airport Express clean connection - no switch or hub

Is there anything else you need to know? Thanks!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

If you pause a program for a minute and then play it does the audio still stutter? Wireless networks can be tough to diagnose due to environmental issues.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you pause a program for a minute and then play it does the audio still stutter? Wireless networks can be tough to diagnose due to environmental issues.

Hitting the pause button seems to solve the problem, tho I will have to experiment to find out if this is a permanent solution. Thanks for your help, sir, you are a gentleman.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sounds like you might be getting less than ideal signal strengths or throughput in that room.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

New wireless network (upgraded last friday) 2x faster than previous network

HR21-Pro with Airport Express to a new switch with one other device connected

HR23-700 with Airport Express clean connection - no switch or hub

HR20-100 with Airport Express clean connection - no switch or hub

Is there anything else you need to know? Thanks!

Where is your wireless network located?

#8 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Where is your wireless network located?

The wireless modem is 10 feet from one of the dvrs, 40 feet from another. It measures at 20 or so Mbps.

If it would help, I could run a cat5 to the nearer one, I suppose, but it is not possible to hardwire the other.

#9 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

If you can run a cat5 cable near one of the DVR's, then you could switch to DECA and see great improvement. Try a flat patch cable that you could run across the baseboard. You can pickup DECA units on eBay which are very reasonable.

Before I ran cat5 to one of my units, I had tried an Airport Express and I was not satisfied with it's performance. I now have everything hooked up with DECA and am very satisfied.

#10 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

If you can run a cat5 cable near one of the DVR's, then you could switch to DECA and see great improvement. Try a flat patch cable that you could run across the baseboard. You can pickup DECA units on eBay which are very reasonable.

Before I ran cat5 to one of my units, I had tried an Airport Express and I was not satisfied with it's performance. I now have everything hooked up with DECA and am very satisfied.

Thanks! This is the info I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

If you want to run wireless MRV, I'd recommend setting your network to N only with 40mhz channels on the 5ghz band. You'll get the best performance that way.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

I appreciate all the advice from you guys!

#13 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

The wireless modem is 10 feet from one of the dvrs, 40 feet from another. It measures at 20 or so Mbps.

If it would help, I could run a cat5 to the nearer one, I suppose, but it is not possible to hardwire the other.

You can't do HD with 20 Mbps between points.
DECA requires well over 200 Mbps to pass internal tests. So that's an advantage to wired either through Cat5 or DECA.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks! This is the info I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

You may find that your wireless network will not be able to reliably sustain MRV playback...under the best conditions, g can work about 75% of the time for streaming HD. N can be better, but wired or supported DECA is much more reliable. BTW, upgrading your internet speed has absolutely nothing to do with MRV, but if you had very slow broadband connection, it could affect VOD times before playback can begin.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

You can't do HD with 20 Mbps between points.
DECA requires well over 200 Mbps to pass internal tests. So that's an advantage to wired either through Cat5 or DECA.

I deleted a reply of mine earlier that was going to say something like this, because it isn't quite true.
1) 200 Mb/s isn't the internal test of the DECA networking. What you're mixing up is the Phy Mesh rates.
2) One HD stream, even with OTA MPEG-2, doesn't exceed 20 Mb/s, without using trickplay.
3) MPEG-4 streaming may not exceed 14 Mb/s.

Now to address the 20 Mb/s connection: if may work, but if any packets/bits get dropped, there isn't a lot of "room" for recovery, so streaming may not be as good as it should.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have ordered a deca and will hardwire it from 40Mbps modem to the closest DVR. If it works, it works.

Thanks again!

#17 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

1) 200 Mb/s isn't the internal test of the DECA networking. What you're mixing up is the Phy Mesh rates.

Yup, sure did. Have to remember to drink second cup of coffee before replying. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have ordered a deca and will hardwire it from 40Mbps modem to the closest DVR. If it works, it works.

Thanks again!

You will need a DECA module for each receiver as your STB'S do not have the internal DECA.

#19 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks again!

I think you'll be much happier with this route. I know I was. I actually had what i thought was a pretty good wireless setup (all wireless N), that worked well about 85% of the time. However, it was so annoying when it would stutter and drop packets the other 15% of the time.

Once I went to DECA I haven't stuttered since.

#20 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

So, I see that going the DECA route requires an SWiM setup, which I do not have. I will hardwire one of my receivers (flat cat5 ordered). If that does not work, I suppose I will forgo MRV. Life goes on, somehow:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...