Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

connecting blu ray using component connections

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   valleygreen22

valleygreen22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have an older Sony HDTV that only has component video input. No HDMI. I understand that Blu ray players that have component only output at 480p. Is there any way to get a 1080p signal from the Blu Ray to the TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Short answer is no only way to get 1080p is with HDMI

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

You can buy an older Blu Ray player, I believe.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I don't think any BD player will transmit 1080p over component, just up to 1080i....

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ah yes, CC, correct. 1080i or 720p.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

If you don't mind spending a little extra money, then this is your solution: http://www.hdfury.co...dmi-no-problem/

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

There is no technical reason that 1080p could not be transmitted over component cables... BUT it is a designed limitation to limit the 1080p output to the "secure" HDMI connection.

Blu-ray players that "upconvert" DVDs will not upconvert above 480p over component... BUT Blu-rays should play at 720p or 1080i currently over component.

The "flag" that prevents a Blu-ray disc from being played at HD resolutions over component connection has not yet been implemented... and whenever it does get implemented, it should only apply to new Blu-rays made after that date... so current Blu-ray discs on the shelves and in your house should be playable in 1080i over component cables.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I actually thought that part of the reason was a bandwidth issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

It's not bandwidth at all. By mutual agreement, manufacturers of HD playback devices (Blu-ray, etc.) agreed to close the "analog hole" that allowed full-resolution HD playback without copy protection.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Analog_hole
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

The "flag" that prevents a Blu-ray disc from being played at HD resolutions over component connection has not yet been implemented... and whenever it does get implemented, it should only apply to new Blu-rays made after that date... so current Blu-ray discs on the shelves and in your house should be playable in 1080i over component cables.

Not true. For at least 3 months now, current new release Blu-rays have the flag preventing HD output on component video. I have seen it on this year's model Sony Blu-ray and last year's model Sony Blu-ray. I don't know if older Blu-ray players would be affected or not. Obviously, older Bluray discs would still work OK that didn't have the flag embedded.

#11 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

It's not bandwidth at all. By mutual agreement, manufacturers of HD playback devices (Blu-ray, etc.) agreed to close the "analog hole" that allowed full-resolution HD playback without copy protection.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Analog_hole

Correct, I was running one of my Xbox 360s at 1080p resolution over component for a while until I ended up replacing it with a HDMI equipped unit.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Not true. For at least 3 months now, current new release Blu-rays have the flag preventing HD output on component video. I have seen it on this year's model Sony Blu-ray and last year's model Sony Blu-ray. I don't know if older Blu-ray players would be affected or not. Obviously, older Bluray discs would still work OK that didn't have the flag embedded.

Even if they update firmware in older players to honor the flag, the flag has to be present on the disc. Any disc already pressed without the flag will be safe... which is what I said.

I grant you, though, there are probably are some on the shelved that honor the flag. Heck, I seem to remember at least one import Blu-ray (one of the Resident Evils I think) that had the flag on it years ago, but I can't say for sure.

That's why I said "should"... because even if they have started implementing the flag on some newer Blu-rays, that still leaves most of them untouched.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...