Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KU-Band Satellites

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

what satellites do i have to be able to "see" with a full ku band setup. I just ordered a motorized dish and a receiver to come in the mail. I live in new Jersey and I just got that cell phone app but I need to know what satellites I would be able to catch. I think my yard will be ok since i have good signals on directv and dish but I just want to make sure if i need to see the whole arc..oh and I was wondering are all the satellites the same elevation?

Thanks for your help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sattvmax

sattvmax

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

For a single satellite position, you'll need to decide what satellite you want receive, then work out the elevation and azimuth of that particular satellite. Have a look at lyngsat for a satellite (and the orbital position) and channel listings on that satellite. Then work out the elevation and azimuth angles using an online dish aiming calculation tool. Using those elevation and azimuth angles with a compass and angle finder should help to determine if there is a direct line of site view from your house. Setting up a motorised dish will require knowing where several satellites are across the sky to use as references when setting up. As a minimum three satellite will be required - one in the eastern horizon, one from the western horizon and one directly above (or closest you can get to being directly above). Good luck !

#3 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

NO, not on same elevation - your HH motor(if you did its install correctly) would follow Clark's Belt (see Wiki) and you must find many sats - check Lyngsat site for full list.

#4 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

THanks or all your help. I have a dish @ galaxy 19 now. It's good stuff like al jazeera,pres tv, and other radio channels. I want to put other satellites on the roof instead of the motor and point in different directions with a switchbox.

#5 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

if you have one receiver or using one receiver one time, you'll be better with HH motor - you can pickup much more sats

#6 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

if you have one receiver or using one receiver one time, you'll be better with HH motor - you can pickup much more sats

ok thanks

#7 OFFLINE   iceman382

iceman382

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

The way to go is with a motorized setup.
The other post is correct in that it will follow the Clark Belt arc of satellites.
Notice I said "arc"......

It is very important when installing a motorized setup that your vertical mast is 100% plumb. In that way, the satellite will turn exactly on the full arc of the Clark Belt satellite range.

Ice...:hi:

#8 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

It's just the reflector and LNBF will follow sats on the arc...

#9 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm in the process of "tweaking" my setup, after installing a motor. If you've seen the photos I posted before, I've changed to a heavier mount (from a "SuperDISH"), using the existing home-made support.

Right now, I get about 4 sats...I need to re-tap the three leveling feet (made of pipe flanges), since they are not quite able to make the support perfectly plumb. I should be able to get about 8 or 10 sats from my (restricted-view) balcony location.

I'll post some photos in a few days.

#10 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Here's the photo....still need to neaten-up the cables.
Using a Stab 90 motor and a SuperDISH mount, with a 0.85m Ku dish.

Attached Thumbnails

• Camera Photos 4 022a.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   sadoun

sadoun

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Look on Lyngsat for the list of satellites available to you:
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Also SatBeams footprints come in handy. Select the satellite name (KU band) and click on your location on the google map. It will till you the size of antenna required, and angles.
http://satbeams.com/...oom=1&beam=5470
Sadoun Satellite
DBSTALK forum member #507
Member since May 28, 2002

Protected By... spam firewall...And...