Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 13) 3/07/2012

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Idol Contestant(s)? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Idol Contestant(s)?

1. Colton Dixon (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. DeAndre Brackensick (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Elise Testone (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

4. Erika Van Pelt (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

5. Heejun Han (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

6. Hollie Cavanagh (5 votes [11.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

7. Jeremy Rosado (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

8. Jermaine Jones (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

9. Jessica Sanchez (3 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

10. Joshua Ledet (3 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

11. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (6 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

12. Shannon Magrane (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

13. Skylar Laine (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm getting an early start on this thread. I want opinions PRIOR to showtime tomorrow night.

• Who are your favorites so far?
  • Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night?
  • Who do you think will win it all?

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

• Who are your favorites so far? All the guys except Jermaine Jones. For the girls I like Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine, & Jessica Sanchez
  • Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night? Hollie Cavanagh, Jeremy Rosado, & maybe Colton Dixon.
  • Who do you think will win it all? Skylar Laine or Phillip Phillips

Edited by sigma1914, 06 March 2012 - 01:59 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think the Judges picks will be picked off early .. They weren't picked by America after all.

I thought Hollie really stood out from the group along with Jessica Sanchez, Phillip Phillips and Colton Dixon.

I like this group and unlike last year I don't yet see a sure-thing winner. contrary to popular opinion (here), I though Scottie had it in the bag from the very beginning last year.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

contrary to popular opinion (here), I though Scottie had it in the bag from the very beginning last year.

Yeah... I was speaking about you the other day. :nono2:

~Alan

#5 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Who are your favorites so far? Joshua

Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night? Joshua

Who do you think will win it all? Joshua
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Three people put in their 2 cents, so I'll comment now:

• Colton Dixon: So far, I'm not impressed. He put in a great show this past Tuesday night, but I didn't care for it personally. He's capable, but so far, I've only been impressed by him once this year. Everyone I know preferred his sister... :rolleyes:
  • DeAndre Brackensick: Good voice, and I thought he put everything into his "save me" performance, but doesn't really interest me.
  • Elise Testone: Extremely good, but I don't connect with her voice very much. Perhaps a future performance will show me that connection.
  • Erika Van Pelt: Very good as well, and I'm excited to see what performances she will be presenting us with, but...
  • Heejun Han: Great voice, but his accent gets in the way of things. If he worked with a vocal coach to get rid of it, or at least lessen it in his singing, he'd be great. Until then, he'll be lacking.
  • Hollie Cavanagh: One of my favorites... I'm definitely a Holliepop!
  • Jeremy Rosado: Again, one of my favorites. Awesome voice! He probably doesn't have the "look" to make it, but he's great! He's gotten compliments from Sarah Bareilles, Pia Toscano, and I'm not sure who Skyler Dixon is rooting for more, her brother or Jeremy... seems like Jeremy! :lol:
  • Jermaine Jones: Seems like a good guy, and his voice is cool, but I haven't been impressed. I know several people who lists him among their favorites.
  • Jessica Sanchez: One of my favorites... awesomesauce! Nothing more to say...
  • Joshua Ledet: Again, one of my favorites. Awesome voice...
  • Shannon Magrane: Again, one of my favorites. I liked her audition pretty well, but she has impressed me more with her performances since then. I was not aware of how talented she was until they went to Hollywood, but she's managed to impress since then.
  • Skylar Laine: She's like a more energetic version of Kellie Pickler. She's entertaining on stage, but I'm not crazy about her voice...

I saved Phillip Phillips, Jr. for last. Why?!

• Phillip Phillips, Jr.: PP is from Leesburg, GA... which is in a neighboring county of mine. No stranger to talent, Lee County has provided the country with (Country singer) Luke Bryan, (San Francisco Giants catcher) Buster Posey, an "America's Got Talent" contestant (not sure of the name), and several movies like "Facing The Giants", "Fireproof", "Courageous", etc.

To make things more interesting though, he apparently spent some of his childhood growing up in Sasser, GA which is a small town in Terrell County, GA, where I live. Terrell County, GA had some scenes from an upcoming Disney movie shot here, as well as scenes from an old Western shot here, but also the birthplace of Otis Redding.

I know multiple people who complain that every song he sings sounds similar... a criticism I share outside of one performance during group week. However, I still think he's extremely talented, and not being that crazy of SWGA, I wouldn't vote for someone simply because he was a local, but I think he's good and I like to see him make it pretty far. If he makes it to the top 3 where he gets to go home (and I expect he will), I'd like to go to that concert.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 06 March 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Alan mentioned Phillip being his local contestant... Hollie is our local contestant from bordering city of McKinney, TX. She has some serious vocal power in her little frame.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I love everything about Phillip Phillips except his song choices! IMHO, he needs someone like Jimmy Iovine to help him with his selections.
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Alan mentioned Phillip being his local contestant... Hollie is our local contestant from bordering city of McKinney, TX. She has some serious vocal power in her little frame.

Indeed...

https://p.twimg.com/...EuZm_.jpg:large

One of my favorites... though I must ask since McKinney is North of where most of my Texas family is from, do many of you have a British/Australian accent?! ;) :D

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I love everything about Phillip Phillips except his song choices! IMHO, he needs someone like Jimmy Iovine to help him with his selections.

"In The Air Tonight" is a song he performs locally, so it was nothing new to me since there are videos on YouTube.

Jimmy said that he and Jessica were two contestants that he'd sign on the spot, but I'd like to see some variety from him...

~Alan

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

lol Funny picture. Where's your Texas family from? You mentioned being north and they're on our northern border. McKinney used to be our (Allen) high school rivalry before our town and high school exploded in size.

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Where's your Texas family from?

I have three family members in Corpus Christi, TX. There used to be more down there, but only the three now...

My grandparents, mother and one uncle lived there for a while as well, as well as Brownsville.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...