Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple event: 3-7-2012

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#181 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

With all the the gushing praise for the new iPad 3 from tech reviewers and fanbois alike, few have taken time to consider the (new?) reality of 4G speed combined with huge file sizes. For some, upgrading to the iPad 3 (iPad 2.3?) for margiinal improvements will bring an unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

www.tecca.com

'With great speed comes great cost'

"Combine the realities of multimedia file size and a blazing fast connection that allows transfer of said files at unprecedented speeds, and you have a recipe for potentially expensive disaster. One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entire monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20."

You may have to stop feeding the dog to help pay for the extra bandwidth.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

With all the the gushing praise for the new iPad 3 from tech reviewers and fanbois alike, few have taken time to consider the (new?) reality of 4G speed combined with huge file sizes. For some, upgrading to the iPad 3 (iPad 2.3?) for margiinal improvements will bring an unexpected and unpleasant surprise.

www.tecca.com

You may have to stop feeding the dog to help pay for the extra bandwidth.

True but then again if you blow through your monthly allotment your connection simply stops until the next billing cylcle (you can still use wifi of course). I simply just do without. That's the good thing about the pre-paid plans on the iPad. You won't get a huge bill at the end of the month with busted bandwidth allotment charges.

#183 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Unprecedented speeds?......pretty sure I read on anandtech.com the new iPad uses the same chip as the HTC thunderbolt....they should not be allowed to post up those numbers with out a fat disclaimer at least citing its limited to carriers resources and state current carrier speeds for each...

Dreaming if that new iPad is going to pull even 40Mbps less your the only one on the tower....

Gotta hand it to apple marketing department as they truly deserve the biggest checks as they know how to wrap/fool the general public with things...

...not saying anyone here is as we all seem pretty knowledgeable on things here. Just amazed how easily so many people are fooled by their things. Had 5ppl tell me they can't wait to download things with the new iPad at 70Mbps.....smh

#184 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

True but then again if you blow through your monthly allotment your connection simply stops until the next billing cylcle (you can still use wifi of course). I simply just do without. That's the good thing about the pre-paid plans on the iPad. You won't get a huge bill at the end of the month with busted bandwidth allotment charges.

Also, avoiding a major hit on one's 3g or 4G or LTE plan is up to the user.... a bit of intelligence is "a good thing". Those who ignore common sense help make more money for the wireless telco, possibly keeping our costs down a tad.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#185 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

My 64GB Verizon model is sitting in Ontario, CA. :(
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#186 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

My 64GB white wi-fi is sitting in Kentucky.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#187 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Mine too, but it's just a 16 Gig Wi-Fi only...

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#188 OFFLINE   prozone1

prozone1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

32 g wifi Mine shows Mar 11, 2012 3:57 PM Picked up ONTARIO, CA

#189 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm gonna give this Monoprice "smart cover" a try. Covers the back as well, and it's under $16 shipped. Comes in black and red.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

EDITED TO ADD: Doesn't fit the iPad2. The extra mm or so of thickness makes a difference.

Edited by Steve, 18 March 2012 - 06:06 AM.

/steve

#190 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

But will it fit the thicker "3?"

I'm gonna give this Monoprice "smart cover" a try. Covers the back as well, and it's under $16 shipped. Comes in black and red.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#191 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

But will it fit the thicker "3?"

As it turns out, no!

Edited by Steve, 18 March 2012 - 06:06 AM.

/steve

#192 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Will be interesting to see if these iPads get warm to the touch at all. According to Engadget, I assume because of the smaller picture elements, there are twice as many LEDs required to backlight the screen. Besides LTE, that's likely another reason the battery capacity in the new iPad is 42.5 watt hours, vs. the iPad2's 25 watt hours.
/steve

#193 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Since the new one is only .03" thicker than the 2, I figure it's a safe bet. If not, there's a 30 day return policy.

The issue isn't only thickness, it's also the size/location of the rear camera and the (supposedly) new taper on the sides on whether it will "snap" on as that case does.

I had that same case on my iPad 2 but sold it with it. If it fits it is a nice case and nice price. I can tell you it is a very tight fitting case on the bottom so it should be a good test of 2 vs 3 comparability.

I have a Marware "official" iPad 3 case due to be delivered today but obviously don't have the iPad yet but I will be able to see how it fits on my friends iPad 2. If everything lines up perfectly then most "2" cases will fit. The Marware case is way too expensive (and it probably will go back) but I am anxious to see how it compares to the "2" cases. Marware supposedly is one of the few companies that gets early access to the devices for case sizing as Apple sells their products in their stores so it should be properly sized for the "3."

Sellers are doubling and tripling prices on "2" cases and calling them "3" cases and saying they "should" fit.

#194 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

My 64GB Verizon model is sitting in Ontario, CA. :(

Mine too, but it's just a 16 Gig Wi-Fi only...

32 g wifi Mine shows Mar 11, 2012 3:57 PM Picked up ONTARIO, CA

You guys are really lucky, my 64GB WiFi is sitting in Chengdu, China. :(:confused:

#195 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

You guys are really lucky, my 64GB WiFi is sitting in Chengdu, China. :(:confused:

I don't even know where mine is. I have a tracking number but it comes up blank.

#196 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hopefully still scheduled to be delivered on the 16th?

Mine's sitting in Middletown, PA, which is about 200 miles west of me. I imagine it will inch close are the week goes on. :P
/steve

#197 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

The issue isn't only thickness, it's also the size/location of the rear camera and the (supposedly) new taper on the sides on whether it will "snap" on as that case does.

I'm worried about the speaker as well. Not sure if it's in exactly the same spot, and don't want the case to cover it at all.
/steve

#198 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I had that same case on my iPad 2 but sold it with it. If it fits it is a nice case and nice price. I can tell you it is a very tight fitting case on the bottom so it should be a good test of 2 vs 3 comparability.

I have a Marware "official" iPad 3 case due to be delivered today but obviously don't have the iPad yet but I will be able to see how it fits on my friends iPad 2. If everything lines up perfectly then most "2" cases will fit. The Marware case is way too expensive (and it probably will go back) but I am anxious to see how it compares to the "2" cases. Marware supposedly is one of the few companies that gets early access to the devices for case sizing as Apple sells their products in their stores so it should be properly sized for the "3."

Sellers are doubling and tripling prices on "2" cases and calling them "3" cases and saying they "should" fit.

The thing that sucks the most about finding a case is Apple's refusal to call it anything other than iPad. It's not like I can go to amazon.com, or other sites, and search for "ipad case" and only get cases for the new iPad.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#199 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I have a Marware "official" iPad 3 case due to be delivered today but obviously don't have the iPad yet but I will be able to see how it fits on my friends iPad 2. If everything lines up perfectly then most "2" cases will fit. The Marware case is way too expensive (and it probably will go back) but I am anxious to see how it compares to the "2" cases.

That Marware "MicroShell Folio" case looks like a beauty at $59, except for the fact it seems to cover the speaker to much. If it's not aligned perfectly, I imagine it would muffle the sound. I wonder why they didn't just make a cut-out there?

EDITED TO ADD: By comparison, the image on the right is the rear of the Monoprice iPad 2 case. Hopefully it will fit the new iPad as well!

Attached Thumbnails

• marware back.jpg
  • monoprice back.jpg

/steve

#200 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

We had our state age group swim championships this past weekend, and I was surprised by how many kids had iPads on the pool deck that were not in any kind of protective case. One fall on the tile floor and bye-bye.

spam firewall