Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple event: 3-7-2012

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Might explain why my (Android) phone's battery life is so sucky... :rolleyes:

~Alan

Do you have a Galaxy Nexus?

My Galaxy Nexus charges very fast and when it was completely stock, the battery was abysmal.

I have now experimented with a few ROMs and kernels and my current combination easily lasts me through the day and sometimes two depending on how much I use it.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#402 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have ran into this as well. There are some cables that just don't work well for charging the iPad.

Just FYI for anyone interested -- the cable from monoprice works great.

#403 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Just FYI for anyone interested -- the cable from monoprice works great.

Just got mine today but I had to swap my iPad so I am not able to test the "full discharge to full charge time yet.

One thing about that cable you need to be very careful about is since it is so thick right down to the connector, unlike the OEM Apple cable there is not nearly the same "flex" at the iPad end (try bending them both at the end and you will see what I mean). When you move the cable while it is plugged in to the iPad it causes an extreme amount ot "flex pressure" on the iPads charging jack which is not good.

If you use the iPad while this cable is plugged in and move it around a lot that too causes a lot of pressure on the iPad charging jack. Not sure if i feel comfortable with that. Just for charging overnight and not moving the iPad around I am sure it will be fine but other than it could cause a problem.

I also notice the plug doesn't slip into the charging jack nearly as smoothly as the OEM Apple cable although I have noticed that with any non-Apple cable.

For me I think the best answer is the original Apple cable with a "heavier gage" USB extension on the end. That way the iPad jack isn't as stressed when the cable is moved around.

#404 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

For me I think the best answer is the original Apple cable with a "heavier gage" USB extension on the end. That way the iPad jack isn't as stressed when the cable is moved around.

Makes sense. You think this one is heavy enough gauge?

http://www.monoprice...at=1#largeimage

There's also a USB 3.0 spec'd cable for a couple of dollars more:

/steve

#405 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

How about a $0.99 drop cord (120v extention cord) to put the cube closer to your charging location with the original apple usb cable?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#406 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,347 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

How about a $0.99 drop cord (120v extention cord) to put the cube closer to your charging location with the original apple usb cable?

Quite. I was going to ask something similar, but presumed there was a reason that was a no go. Is there?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#407 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Not that I know of. It's generally better to extend the higher voltage than low voltage DC.

The losses in the original cable was the original problem. Losses go up with the Square of the current. P=I2 (current squared) * R(resistance)

We've kept an iPad cube on a drop cord in a basket by the couch. Plug in an iPad, place it vertically face in to the basket. Always handy, maybe charge every second or third day.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#408 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Not the "neatest" way for my taste but it surely would work fine for most. :grin:

Edit: it would end up laying on the floor attached to the wart due to weight so the 3' cable will still be too short for were I need it to "loop." I have the wart plugged into an outlet strip on my wall just behind my desk below my monitor so that idea would be real messy for me and the 3' OEM cable for charging wouldn't reach from there anyway. I have the original 3' cable plugged into my monitor USB for syncing and use the long one charging.

Edited by TBlazer07, 29 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#409 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Makes sense. You think this one is heavy enough gauge?

There's also a USB 3.0 spec'd cable for a couple of dollars more:

They are both the same gage so it should work (although I don't know what gage the one I got is). Not sure if a total of 9' is a great idea. Maybe a 3' extension? the 6' long one is plenty long.

#410 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

FWIW, the "heavy gage 6' sync cable" charges perfectly fine. I went from zero (after iPad 3 shut down) to 100% in 5.5 hrs but the thick less flexible iPad side connector is a problem for me.

#411 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Interesting. Decided to try the Verizon LTE side of my iPad just for fun. Getting 32d/13u MBps. Faster than my 25d/5u MBps Verizon Fios home broadband connection. :lol:

#412 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

FWIW, the "heavy gage 6' sync cable" charges perfectly fine. I went from zero (after iPad 3 shut down) to 100% in 5.5 hrs but the thick less flexible iPad side connector is a problem for me.

Just completed my second charge on the iPad2 since I got it about 10 days ago. It took 3:50 to go from 2%-100%, or a little over 9 minutes per watt hour. Stock cable. That's down from 10 minutes per watt hour the first time I charged it.

Seems like the iPad3 charges faster at about 7.8 minutes per watt hour, or maybe it was the difference in the cable?
/steve

#413 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just completed my second charge on the iPad2 since I got it about 10 days ago. It took 3:50 to go from 2%-100%, or a little over 9 minutes per watt hour. Stock cable. That's down from 10 minutes per watt hour the first time I charged it.

Seems like the iPad3 charges faster at about 7.8 minutes per watt hour, or maybe it was the difference in the cable?

Sounds about right. It also matters for comparisons if the battery was at the identical level when you started charging it on each round. The "%" meters aren't usually that accurate. The best consistency I can get (for testing purposes) is I turn the screen to FULL bright and turn off AUTO-LOCK and let it discharge until it shuts off. From that I can only guess it's at the same voltage level when I start the process because the circuitry shuts it down based on a specific battery voltage level. It don't think it ever really FULLY discharges.

#414 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Sounds about right. It also matters for comparisons if the battery was at the identical level when you started charging it on each round. The "%" meters aren't usually that accurate. The best consistency I can get (for testing purposes) is I turn the screen to FULL bright and turn off AUTO-LOCK and let it discharge until it shuts off. From that I can only guess it's at the same voltage level when I start the process because the circuitry shuts it down based on a specific battery voltage level. It don't think it ever really FULLY discharges.

I keep brightness at "Auto" and ~40%, which I believe are the defaults. I kept "dismissing" the battery warnings yesterday, until the meter read 2%. At that point, the iPad shut down and wouldn't allow me to restart it.
/steve

#415 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Do you have a Galaxy Nexus?

My Galaxy Nexus charges very fast and when it was completely stock, the battery was abysmal.

I have now experimented with a few ROMs and kernels and my current combination easily lasts me through the day and sometimes two depending on how much I use it.

No... I have a Samsung Fascinate.

The last firmware update improved the battery life greatly, but any little usage drains the battery greatly. I realize you can't get an iPad quality battery in a cell phone, but it'd be nice if one could.

I have no interest in rooting my phone.

~Alan

#416 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image

http://betanews.com/...iggest-benefit/
/steve

#417 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Tom's Hardware just published one of their typically exhaustive reviews of the new iPad here: http://www.tomshardw...ml#xtor=RSS-182

They concluded:

[...] It once again alters expectations of all other tablets that emerge from here on out. Why? A fabulous high-resolution display facilitates the visual impact needed [to] further the purpose of a touch-sensitive personal computing device. All other tablet vendors will unquestionably scramble, now, to catch up.

[...]

In many ways, the iPad 3 is two steps forward and one back [it's heavier than the iPad2]. Apple's image quality gains are impressive, as are the other feature additions. If you own an iPad or iPad 2, you have to decide if you want to pay the "Apple tax" yet again for an improved model that weighs more than its predecessor. If not, then the weight issue might not be an issue at all, and you can enjoy the most advanced tablet available without worrying about what came before.

I was blown away to read the retina display delivers over 94% of the colors in the sRGB color space. That's pretty darn close to perfect!

Posted Image

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...