Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple event: 3-7-2012

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

I don't know about the pre-paid accounts. I would imagine those won't or at least shouldn't be throttled. I do know the grandfathered unlimited data accounts are subject to throttling if the data usage exceeds a certain amount. Of course using wifi for almost all of my data use won't trigger the throttling.

yup they said this few days ago...hit 3GB and they are going to start slowing you down some till next cycle starts...Which imho is a ton better than forcing you to a new plan if you are one of their Unl. customers still...

http://www.usatoday....sage/53319770/1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Ordered a 64GB AT&T. Set for delivery next Friday. Maybe it will show up one day early like my iPhone 4 did. :)

I would really like to see a family type data plan from AT&T. Keep hearing rumors about it, but have yet to see it. I won't activate the 4G data until I need it.

#163 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

But I'm rooting for The New iPad. Why? Because, if enough people get it and complain to their carriers about the 4G/LTE swindle that's going on, maybe the carriers will be forced to change their policies.

I like The New iPad. I think I'll like it enough to buy it if they get a 'universal' model that does all LTE frequencies and GSM and maybe a few other functions. This, of course, depends on what Amazon does.

Apple is limited by a few things to do what you want. First is space, as to add all of these they would need more antennae's in the device too...

Beside that though its likely to be a very very long long long long time before you see carriers do roaming agreements with LTE. And even still I'd bet that when they do them it wont be full out Roaming, if roaming you will likely be throttled down to X Speed, so you dont blow out the agreement and cost the carrier you are with more money by roaming on anothers network.
Like when you Roam on Verizon's network as a Sprint customer "normally" and not via PRL tricks, you roam at 1xRTT speeds which are slower than normal EVDO. This is done to keep costs down b/c the more you roam the more it costs the carrier in the end b/c they have to pay the other carrier your roaming on for this. It isn't free to anyone so someone has to pay for it...

Just like with Sprint now if you Roam too much on Verizon they send you a nice little letter saying thanks for your business but you may leave now. lol

#164 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,605 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I think the pre-paid accounts are a different beast. I have never been throttled on my iPad and I've used it quite a bit on 3G. Sometimes I have streamed my Slingbox all day for several days without any word from AT&T.

Do you use it for navigation in your cars, trucks, airplanes? (I was planning on getting a 3G model until I got a new car with very good installed nav.)
Still, it'd be very cool for when I'm not travelling solo, and the co-pilot (of car only, sadly) can really get into the maps, and Google stuff of interest nearby.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#165 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

yup they said this few days ago...hit 3GB and they are going to start slowing you down some till next cycle starts...Which imho is a ton better than forcing you to a new plan if you are one of their Unl. customers still...

http://www.usatoday....sage/53319770/1

So far this month I've used 1.66GB worth of data via wifi, and 4.16MB using my AT&T data. I did check with my AT&T rep to see how much we would save going to a tiered family plan (now we have unlimited family plan), turned out to be only about $20. Needless to write we aren't giving up the unlimited.
I can see people using the New iPad going over all the data ceilings.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#166 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Interesting speculation about what might be an "advanced battery" from Apple.

The iPad’s most revolutionary feature isn’t the 2048×1536 Retina display LCD panel, or the 4G LTE connectivity. It’s something that you can’t see.

It’s the battery.

[...]

Between the release of the iPad 2 last year and the announcement of the new iPad yesterday, Apple has nearly doubled the capacity of the battery, taking it from 25Wh to a massive 42Wh. Measured in milliamps this boosts the battery from 6944 mAh to a monstrous 11,666 mAh.

[...]

It suggests that Apple has managed to increase significantly the power density of the Li-ion cells that it uses. In an industry that has seemed stagnant for some time now, this is quite an achievement and goes to show that Apple’s battery research labs and manufacturing plants have been hard at work. There’s no doubt that we’re going to be seeing the fruits of this labor in other Apple products soon.

However, Apple has pulled off this huge increase in battery capacity (I’m looking forward to the teardowns of the new iPad), it undoubtedly changes everything… again.

[more]

/steve

#167 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

So far this month I've used 1.66GB worth of data via wifi, and 4.16MB using my AT&T data. I did check with my AT&T rep to see how much we would save going to a tiered family plan (now we have unlimited family plan), turned out to be only about $20. Needless to write we aren't giving up the unlimited.
I can see people using the New iPad going over all the data ceilings.

yeah i can't see the need to ever switch over from unlimited less the tiered plan is somehow cheaper for your normal use and such...or you typically go over their limit and are throttled to old DSL 500kbps speeds for remainder of the cycle...no clue what they throttle down to but can't imagine it being that terribly bad...

#168 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Interesting speculation about what might be an "advanced battery" from Apple.

pretty interesting there...

waiting on the patent to fly through for it. lol

#169 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

And new iCloud control panel on Windows. Installing now.

I read that, got excited, downloaded it, and then remembered why I didn't already have it. It doesn't work with XP. :(

~Alan

#170 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I read that, got excited, downloaded it, and then remembered why I didn't already have it. It doesn't work with XP. :(

Doesn't even work on Apple's own Snow Leopard. :(

#171 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well hell!

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1336441

Looks like Verizon is going to allow Mobile Hot-spotting with its data plan. Maybe I need to order a Verizon model and cancel the AT&T one. I think Verizon has a better deal with 1GB for $20 than AT&T's 250MB for $15.

But I can just add an AT&T one to my account and if they ever do a family data plan that includes Hot-Spotting and or tethering then that would be better.

Crap!

#172 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,605 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

What doesn't work? The Mobile Me/iCloud System Pref. file, or something else?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#173 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ooh! That sucks...

The bad thing for me is, I HAD Windows 7 at home, but about 13 months after I bought my machine, the CPU went kaput.

~Alan

#174 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

What doesn't work? The Mobile Me/iCloud System Pref. file, or something else?

iCloud.

It is Lion only. There was a rumor about there being a 10.6.9 release to make SL compatible, but as of now it has not been released. There are still a few months before MobileMe is shut down, so perhaps Apple is waiting to see just how many MobileMe users there still are come June.

I upgraded to Lion on my iMac and will probably go to ML when it releases as well. And the other Macs in the house can run Lion, I just haven't gotten around to upgrading them.

#175 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have never quite understood this issue. I simply purchased the SD card adapter for the iPad. I transfer pictures from my DSLR to the iPad all the time without so much as a hiccup.

To add you can purchase a device that will allow the iPad to read a SD Card.

#176 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

That SD Card reader is to import stuff. Given the kind of stuff I have, it's impractical. The iPad is limited to 64GB. I can buy SD cards that big for a LOT less than the $200 difference between the 16GB and 64GB models. My iTunes library of music alone is bigger than an iPad or iPhone can handle (I have the bigger iPod Classic that *can* handle my library).

I'd like to be able to pack my tablet and a couple of SD cards - consuming media directly from the card without having to import it to 'main memory'.

My other issues have hope of being dealt with. Now the iPhone is universal (CDMA/GSM) and if I go to Europe I can simply buy a local MicroSIM card for a LOT less money than Sprint (or anyone else's) roaming would cost. Someday the iPad might go the same way - and someone will develop chips to handle all the LTE flavors, eventually.

#177 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

FWIW, I really love Apple TV. Just bought the 1080p version.

Not as many goodies as Roku, but I much prefer the UI and the seamless integration with my huge music collection.

PS - The iPad is an awesome companion to Apple TV.

#178 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered my new ipad last night. Should get it on the 16th. The learning curve will then begin. :)

#179 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered my new ipad last night. Should get it on the 16th. The learning curve will then begin. :)

Apple generally does a good job making it easy. But then I've just started the process of forcing our users to go to the 5.x level, some never update their phones. I have some that have never downloaded an app in the several years they've owned an iPhone.

#180 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

FWIW, I really love Apple TV. Just bought the 1080p version.

Not as many goodies as Roku, but I much prefer the UI and the seamless integration with my huge music collection.

PS - The iPad is an awesome companion to Apple TV.

I totally agree with you here. I love being able to stream videos and music from my iPad/iTunes to my big screen TV and stereo. I got two coworkers hooked on it too. I plan on buying a 1080p version and will put the 720p version in the bedroom. :D

I really think Apple TV is a little underrated, you really don't hear about it as much as you do other "i" products.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...