Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with HR34 Audio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Technically challenged individual needs your help please.

Installer just left after setting up my new HR34.

On my HR23 I was using digital audio to my receiver. He told me that digital won't work on the HR34! The way he left it, the only audio I get now is directly out of the TV itself and not my surround sound system.

Here's a link to my receiver which is an old Pioneer without any HDMI hookups. I've got my TV HDMI output hooked up to the HDMI on the HR34. http://ec1.images-am...AL000030465.pdf A good pic of the back of the receiver is on page 7. I have the 810S system.

Can somebody please tell me what I need to do to get my surround sound back?

Thank you in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

The HR34 doesn't have optical digital audio, but it does have coaxial digital audio. Your Pioneer receiver does have one coaxial digital audio in, but you might be using it already.

Look here: http://www.dbstalk.c...032#post2967032

#3 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Dave. But like I said, I'm technically challenged.

Are you saying that I need to buy the converter in link you provided or just go but a coax digital cable? Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Instead of connecting an optical cable from the Directv receiver to your Pioneer receiver, you use an RCA style cable to connect from the Coax audio out on the HR34 to the Coax Input on the Pioneer receiver.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#5 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

If the Coax In on your Pioneer is not being used, then all you would need to do is to get a coaxial digital audio cable, connect it, and switch to the correct input on your receiver. You don't need the adapter in this case.

#6 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks everybody. What a joke this has been. Went to Best Buy and got a coax audio cable and hooked it up to my receiver and to the HR34.

The good news is that now at least I've got my two front and center speaker working. No rear speakers or subwoofer working. There was only one coax hookup on my receiver and that said "DVD", so I hooked it into that. Have to tune it to DVD now instead of "TV/Sat" in order to get sound out of the three speakers.

I'm frustrated, confused and tired. Done with it for awhile. Thanks again.

#7 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Do you know if Dolby Digital was turned on in the HR34 settings?

#8 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

SUCCESS!!!

It wasn't turned on Dave. Thanks to you, I went in and turned it on and it's working fine now. Still have to leave it on the DVD setting in the receiver because that's the only coax digital hookup up my receiver has but it works fine and that's all that matters. Thanks for all your help.

#9 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

SUCCESS!!!

It wasn't turned on Dave. Thanks to you, I went in and turned it on and it's working fine now. Still have to leave it on the DVD setting in the receiver because that's the only coax digital hookup up my receiver has but it works fine and that's all that matters. Thanks for all your help.

Excellent! If you check your manual pages 16-20, you can assign the digital coax to the input of your choice.

#10 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks David. One more question if you don't mind?

With the old setup when I turned off the HR23 at night the AM21 also turned off. Now when I turn off the HR34 the AM21 still stays on. Is there a way to program this thing so that it will turn off again? Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks David. One more question if you don't mind?

With the old setup when I turned off the HR23 at night the AM21 also turned off. Now when I turn off the HR34 the AM21 still stays on. Is there a way to program this thing so that it will turn off again? Thanks.

It's a known issue that the light doesn't go off in some cases. I would suggest black tape as Go Beavs pointed out, or red nail polish.

This is a known issue.

spam firewall