Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stealing a satelite dish

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dre2112

dre2112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I am moving into an apartment complex where i'll be living on the main floor (ie street/parking lot level). My unit has a balcony which I plan on putting my satellite dish on a tripod (can't have them bolted to the actual wall). My question is, is satellite dish theft prevalent? I'm thinking "satellite dish... DTV can locate where it is at any time so why would you steal it?" Am I right or wrong here? People will steal just about anything.

I'm guessing, really, anyone could just walk up to my unit, jump the balcony and walk off with my dish and tripod. It's a very safe part of town and is gated but that doesn't prevent people from strolling about in the 200 unit complex. Are there methods I can use to prevent theft if I get my dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

The dish itself is not something DirecTV can locate. The smart part of the technology is in the STB, which is inside. While the dish itself has a value, I cannot see someone can easily pawn.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I had the same up set up back in 2000-2002: ground-floor balcony, ungated apt complex. I had the tripod mount sand-bagged for stability. In two years, I never had a problem. Odds are way in your favor and your 'renters' insurance would cover any loss.

Don't worry about it!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am moving into an apartment complex where i'll be living on the main floor (ie street/parking lot level). My unit has a balcony which I plan on putting my satellite dish on a tripod (can't have them bolted to the actual wall). My question is, is satellite dish theft prevalent? I'm thinking "satellite dish... DTV can locate where it is at any time so why would you steal it?" Am I right or wrong here? People will steal just about anything.

I'm guessing, really, anyone could just walk up to my unit, jump the balcony and walk off with my dish and tripod. It's a very safe part of town and is gated but that doesn't prevent people from strolling about in the 200 unit complex. Are there methods I can use to prevent theft if I get my dish?

Instead of the tripod, why not go with a non-penetrating roof mount, like I did on my balcony? It took up a little more space on the ground/floor, but it's a lot sturdier and more stable than a tripod. Plus, it's much more difficult to swipe (if anyone would ever want to do that). BTW, sometimes you can get DirecTV to cover the cost of the non-pen mount--not always, but sometimes. :D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 OFFLINE   dre2112

dre2112

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!

Instead of the tripod, why not go with a non-penetrating roof mount, like I did on my balcony? It took up a little more space on the ground/floor, but it's a lot sturdier and more stable than a tripod. Plus, it's much more difficult to swipe (if anyone would ever want to do that). BTW, sometimes you can get DirecTV to cover the cost of the non-pen mount--not always, but sometimes. :D

what's a non-penetrating roof mount? Is it glued on?

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Held down with concrete blocks that fit into slots in the mount

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!

what's a non-penetrating roof mount? Is it glued on?

Take a look at this post and you'll see my setup*. For shhits & giggles, read that whole thread while you're at it. :D

*The dish is mounted to the non-pen frame and has an extra support arm, just as if it was attached to one's roof or side of a building.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#8 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

You might want to check with the apt manager as sometimes they only allow placement on a balcony and signoff by a direct or dish tech and only 2 room install. Living room and a bedroom. Most times, they do not want the dish - they try how to piggyback off the dish and wiring to get free signal use. Some apt allow only dish or direct. At mine , it was direct only, but they pushed comcast cable.

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

HFA, you haven't read my thread, have you? Landlords are NOT permitted to restrict the number of rooms into which DBS can be installed. They also cannot prohibit someone--at my complex they have an exclusive agreement with DISH--from obtaining DBS service from a provider that is not tied to the complex.

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,119 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Several years back (before OTARD), a friend of mine mounted his dish on a pole in a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete. He then replaced two of the bolts with security bolts making it more difficult for someone if they chose just to take the dish.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall