Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DOJ Sues Apple and Publishers for Collusion

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,143 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

What, please, Sir, is news here? The article is from over a week ago, and a perusal doesn't reveal anything new from almost a month ago.

(Heh: I know you love anything that mentions bad Apples! :hurah: )
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,343 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

What, please, Sir, is news here? The article is from over a week ago, and a perusal doesn't reveal anything new from almost a month ago.

This was a milestone event that got limited press - in this case - the article shared was the first with this kind of detail.

There were a number in the media that though the case might either be dismissed or else settled in advance.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#153 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

http://online.wsj.co...NzExNDcyWj.html

Not to get political (and in full disclosure I don't think I've ever agreed with anything this man has ever said) but it certainly makes me wonder who he is looking out for with this position because it sure isn't the consumer IMO!

#154 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Not to get political (and in full disclosure I don't think I've ever agreed with anything this man has ever said) but it certainly makes me wonder who he is looking out for with this position because it sure isn't the consumer IMO!

Taken at face value, it seems to me his intent is to thwart an Amazon stranglehold on the marketplace.

After thinking about this for a while, and contrary to what Mr. Turow thinks, it seems to me the best solution is the publishers go to a wholesale model and let everyone set pricing as they see fit, so if Apple, Google or B&N want to run sales to draw customers away from Amazon, they can. It'd be a level playing field, like it is now with MP3s.

In that model, I assume authors would get paid based on the wholesale price, so no matter what the retailers charge for the books, it wouldn't affect their royalties. Just my .02.
/steve

#155 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

I think it is probably safe to assume the big publishing houses are based in New York.

#156 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

The article says the average price of eBooks was lowered from $9 to $7 since Apple entered the market. It must be all the free books that were added to iPads that lowered the average as the new releases/best sellers all went up in price.

#157 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

The article says the average price of eBooks was lowered from $9 to $7 since Apple entered the market. It must be all the free books that were added to iPads that lowered the average as the new releases/best sellers all went up in price.

Yeah, I think that's a statistic that's clearly designed to deceive. Best Sellers, by their very name, are the highest volume by far and those have almost uniformly gone up in price by at least 20%.

#158 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,617 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, I think that's a statistic that's clearly designed to deceive. Best Sellers, by their very name, are the highest volume by far and those have almost uniformly gone up in price by at least 20%.

Also I think the ebook price average through all vendors is going to go up. Amazon's Daily Deal ebooks used to be 99¢, but seems to have risen to $1.99. It's been tough on a guy like me who was buying several of those "99-centers" a month. Grumble, grumble...:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#159 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Also I think the ebook price average through all vendors is going to go up. Amazon's Daily Deal ebooks used to be 99¢, but seems to have risen to $1.99. It's been tough on a guy like me who was buying several of those "99-centers" a month. Grumble, grumble...:sure:

Check to see whether your public library (or affiliate library) carries eBooks. Our county doesn't have them, but the librarian told me a neighboring county has them, and they have a reciprocal agreement with us. I had to drive 31 miles to sign up, but I've checked out more than 30 eBooks from them in the past year.

#160 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Check to see whether your public library (or affiliate library) carries eBooks. Our county doesn't have them, but the librarian told me a neighboring county has them, and they have a reciprocal agreement with us. I had to drive 31 miles to sign up, but I've checked out more than 30 eBooks from them in the past year.

I've been doing this as well. Both e-books and audiobooks. You sometimes have to wait a few days after you select them, because they are limited by the publishers as to how many copies can be "out" at any given time, but if you queue up a few of them, there's usually always something you want available for download at a given time.
/steve

#161 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

http://techcrunch.co...ir-agency-deal/

This article is a little short on detail and has at least one inaccuracy (the settlement that some of the publishers accepted in the US is not the same as dumping the agency model) but still worth a read if this topic is of interest to you. I'm still hoping the DOJ forces them to dump the agency model completely and go back to a wholesale model so my e-book prices return to pre-iPad levels!

#162 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,727 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

This article is a little short on detail and has at least one inaccuracy

Another may be that it benefits B&N. I'm pretty sure they preferred the agency model, since they're still the largest brick and mortar bookseller in the US. They operate about 700 B&N retail stores and 600 college bookstores.
/steve

#163 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Judge finds Apple guilty in e-book price fixing scheme, damages trial to be held later (and probably and appeal by Apple).

http://www.theverge....ok-price-fixing

#164 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Old topic, but update-worthy (IMHO).

I got my settlement check today from the E-Books AG Settlements Administrator (https://ebooksagsett...m/Home.aspx).  $58.75. I thought I'd get less than $10 for the two-year period so I was quite happy when I opened the letter. 

If You Bought an E-book during the Claim Period
You Could Get a Payment from a $166 Million Settlement Fund

• Settlements have been reached with publishers Hachette, HarperCollns, Macmillan, Penguin and Simon & Schuster in antitrust lawsuits filed by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of electronic books (“E-books”).
  • The lawsuits claim there was a conspiracy involving five of the nation’s top publishers and Apple Inc. (“Apple”) to fix and raise retail prices of E-books.  All five of these publishers have agreed to settle the lawsuit.  A separate lawsuit with similar claims continues against Apple.
  • If you purchased one or more E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012 that were published by any of the five Publishers (listed in Question 2 of the FAQ's), you may be eligible for a partial refund of the purchase price.
  • The Settling Publishers deny they did anything wrong, but have agreed to settle to avoid the cost and risk of a trial.
  • Additional information for these Settlements is available in the Detailed Notices on the Important Case Documents page on this Settlement website.
  • The Court in charge of these cases approved the last of these Settlements on December 6, 2013.
  • The distribution to eligible consumers began on or around March 25, 2014.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...