Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA Signals Affected by Solar Burp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I seem to be having trouble getting OTA signals I usually don't have trouble getting.

Can't figure out if it's the rain and low clouds, the CME, a combination of the two or something else.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

The effects of CME on TV signals would be to cause interfering signals from 500-1500 miles skip off the ionosphere and cause local signals to be corrupted.

You can check this site to see real time info on that: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

OTA TV signals should not be affected by the CME.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Well, I don't what it is if it isn't atmospheric.

I pulled the antenna down and checked everything and reseated the coax connectors. Made a couple of changes including adding another 5' of mast. Antenna is now about 50' AGL or somewhere around 400' AMSL.

I can get stations from farther and with a weaker signal than my target station, but they're UHF and the target is VHF. This all started about a week or less ago. Prior to that, I could get the target station fine most of the day. It would flake out at times or in heavy weather.

I guess the mast mounted amp could be going bad.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Might have gotten it resolved.

The portion of the signal amp that's inside the house has a Gain adjustment. I fiddled with that a bit and I have a much better signal with most of the lost channels returning. I've had problems with rheostats before where the internal contacts get dirty electrically (remember the old tunable radios?) Spinning it a few times lock to lock tends to clear the junk and let it make a better contact.

I don't know if it will last, but I'll keep an eye on prices and grab a new amp if I find a sale.

spam firewall