Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My oldest HR 21-100 has died

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nibyak

nibyak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

It looks like one of my old HR 21-100s has finally died. It’s running the receiver self test and gets to the “almost there” screen then starts running the receiver self test over and over and over. DirecTV is sending a replacement and didn’t even give us a hard time about it. I’m not sure exactly how old it is but I believe we got it sometime in 2008. Now to see what model of DVR shows up in the mail.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dshank522

dshank522

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Good Luck !

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

2008 is "old"?? One of my R15's is from 2007 and the other one was manufactured in 2005 (I got it "refurbished" in 2007). Oh, and "refurbished" means "put in another box" because I noted that it had it's original motherboard and HDD both dated 2005!

Don't be surprised if you get another HR21!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   giantsfan

giantsfan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

My daughter's HR20/100 died about two weeks ago and she got an HR24/500 as a replacement and they also set her up for internet wi-fi for free!!

#5 OFFLINE   nibyak

nibyak

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

2008 is "old"?? One of my R15's is from 2007 and the other one was manufactured in 2005 (I got it "refurbished" in 2007). Oh, and "refurbished" means "put in another box" because I noted that it had it's original motherboard and HDD both dated 2005!

Don't be surprised if you get another HR21!

I wasn’t trying to state that it was really old, just my oldest. It was the first HD box I got with the tax stimulus check from George Bush. We have 4 other HD DVRs, all HR 21s of some variety. When we got Whole House installed last year they replaced and old R-15 and an old SD Tivo unit that was really old. The big problem is that since it’s the oldest it was recording some of our oldest favorite shows. I had to try and figure out what wasn’t being recorded. We almost never actually watch the TV that’s it’s connected to (just use the Whole House sharing), I just happened to notice that the blue ring was spinning so I checked it out. Just for fun I plugged it back in on Saturday and it did nothing. The network lights blinked and then it was just a brick. Hopefully the new one shows up soon.

#6 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

My HR20-700 is still going from 2006. *knocks on wood*

#7 OFFLINE   nibyak

nibyak

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I got an HR21-700 replacement. From the warranty sticker on the back I see that it’s a refurb. It looks new and works. It booted up with the old GUI and I had already forgotten how bad it looked (it updated to the new software shortly after power up). I had no problems getting it to work with the SWM or the network. I assume the guide will be fully populated when I get home from work tonight and I’ll get it all programmed for my recordings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...