Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Receivers one account

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just wondering how many receivers can you have on account. If i get a lot of receivers do they have to be connected to the internet or phone line.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,343 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

As long as you're doing things legally (and within your service terms), I haven't heard of any limit and they say phone lines are required but I haven't heard of it being enforced.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

And most likely they will all hook up to the internet if your just now getting service, since they will run deca which means they will get internet to all your receivers through the same coax that delvers the sat signal, you just need one point of connection to your home network.

How many receivers do you think you are going to get?

#4 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

And most likely they will all hook up to the internet if your just now getting service, since they will run deca which means they will get internet to all your receivers through the same coax that delvers the sat signal, you just need one point of connection to your home network.

How many receivers do you think you are going to get?

I already got a account a year ago. It is not connected to the internet and I have a legacy 5lnb. I will be changing it myself to a swm5. I'm planning to get 10 more receivers.

rolltide

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

I already got a account a year ago. It is not connected to the internet and I have a legacy 5lnb. I will be changing it myself to a swm5. I'm planning to get 10 more receivers.

Then a SWM5 won't help you. I'm assuming you mean a legacy LNB and a SWM multi-switch, with that many tuners you're looking at at least 1 SWM 16 if not multiple.

If the receivers are all in the same location and the location is a single family residence, that hasn't been converted into something designed to have tenenants or temporary guests, then there isn't a limit other than your pocket book. If you're getting all of that though there's no reason not to connect it to the internet to get all of the functions of the receivers.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

A bit more info and we could give yo a few more tips...

How many receivers do you have now? And how many total do you plan on ending up with, and what kind will they be? All hd dvrs? How many tv's do you have? Are you planning on putting multiple dvrs in the same location at any of these tvs?

As Shades said, changing the lnb is not what needs to be done no matter what. YOu need a swim 16 at min.

#7 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

A bit more info and we could give yo a few more tips...

How many receivers do you have now? And how many total do you plan on ending up with, and what kind will they be? All hd dvrs? How many tv's do you have? Are you planning on putting multiple dvrs in the same location at any of these tvs?

As Shades said, changing the lnb is not what needs to be done no matter what. YOu need a swim 16 at min.

I got 3 receivers now and planning to get 8 more. I plan to get 3 more HD DVD and the rest HD. I have 8 TVs but I want the 3 others for my Mac eyetv. And would it be possible to have a whole home DVr but without connected to the internet, for example have a router but have the router not connected to the "cable internet".

Thanks

rolltide

#8 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Most I've seen is 22 on one account.

I've seen quite a few in the 10-12 range though so no worries there

#9 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,343 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I got 3 receivers now and planning to get 8 more. I plan to get 3 more HD DVD and the rest HD. I have 8 TVs but I want the 3 others for my Mac eyetv. And would it be possible to have a whole home DVr but without connected to the internet, for example have a router but have the router not connected to the "cable internet".

Thanks

Yup, WHDVR will work just fine without an internet connection, it just won't have access to on-demand stuff, TVapps, and the iPad app won't be able to control any boxes or be able to watch streaming channels.

All your HD boxes would have to be connected to each other via coax or ethernet networking and you wouldn't have that network bridged to your home internet connected network.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

Protected By... spam firewall...And...