Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trying to understand "owned" from DirecTV vs. Ebay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I just was on a call with a rep from DirecTV asking if they could do anything about the D11 I have which will not work with SWM. I haven't had it activated for awhile and was looking to activate it.

Long story short, I will want to activate and deactivate frequently, and don't want to have to rebuy a receiver if it is leased. I asked about the cost of purchasing say an H24. It is $399. So I went on eBay and found one for $85 new.

I then asked the rep if I bought the receiver on eBay two things:
1: Would I be locked into another 2 year agreement after activating. The answer was no.
2. Would that receiver be mine, or would I have to return it to DirecTV after I deactivate it. The answer was it would be mine and it wouldn't need to be returned.

Is that all correct? If so, I don't know why anyone would by from DirecTV if you can save $315 by buying it on eBay.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

First off DIRECTV agents can't order specific model numbers. The price quoted was for a HD DVR not a HD receiver. Secondly you have to be careful ordering owned receivers from places because most of the time they're not owned and you won't be able to activate it. Before you buy any receiver you need to get the RID number and then call the access card department to see if you can activate that receiver.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I just asked what the cost would be of an owned HD Receiver. I know it cannot be guarenteed which model I would get. I was told $399 for the HD Receiver (sans DVR).

Since you work for DirecTV, could you answer my questions about ownership?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Prior to buying anything, get the Receiver ID number (RID). Call DIRECTV and verify it's actually an owned receiver. Don't trust the seller to provide that info. Having is listed as owned with DIRECTV is crucial to making all this work.

If it is indeed an owned receiver then it is correct that you can deactivate/activate at will without needing to return the receiver.

It shouldn't set a 2 year commitment when activated the first time but I would discuss this with the CSR at the time of activation to make sure it gets entered into the system correctly.

Verify the status and you should get a receiver that fits your needs without an additional 2 year commitment. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I just asked what the cost would be of an owned HD Receiver. I know it cannot be guarenteed which model I would get. I was told $399 for the HD Receiver (sans DVR).

Since you work for DirecTV, could you answer my questions about ownership?

You specified a model number so just wanted to make sure. It is $399 sorry it's early. The other information is correct that you were given so I'm not sure what questions about ownership you have. If you're wondering why you would spend that much with DIRECTV when you can buy a used one from someone it's really just going to come down to risk factor and used equipment not NIB.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

If you are a dbstalk member, you can have access to the buy, sell, trade area. Owned H and HR's frequently show up there. RIDs are provided and its a safer way of getting an owned receiver or DVR vs an unknown ebay seller.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

See the eBay buyer's guide here ....

http://reviews.ebay....000000004230191

Buyer beware!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall